• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nick - Shep '05 View Post

When did Humboldt drop football?

http://now.humboldt.edu/news/hsu-to-...r-2018-season/

Comment

Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post
      What about Wisconsin-Parkside?
      Yes, I see them as similar to Purdue-NW mentioned above. good program over all, but starting off fresh right into the GLIAC would be tough.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post

Some PacWest schools too. Might help increase enrollment. That was a reason Limestone added football and it didn't hurt other sports; their men's lacrosse is still one of the best in the nation.
        True, Limestone lacrosse is dominant. They schedule other top 10 teams in the nation and still usually pound them.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Your statement shouldn't be so definitive. Some schools would greatly benefit from adding football to the detriment of other sports.
          I believe that schools benefit from all sports, and football admittedly is expensive. I would rather a school sponsor 20+ sports without football if the alternative is sponsoring football and only a few other sports. Schools have to make programs sustainable over the long term.

Comment

What about North Georgia?
            UNG has almost 20,000 students, but they are spread out over five campuses. 36% of their students are enrolled in associates programs and only enroll in UNG in order to transfer to another four year school.

UNG was formed via the consolidation of North Georgia College (one of the oldest institutions in the state founded in 1873) and Gainesville State, which was created in the 1964 NGC had a very passionate alumni base, but the Board of Regents ordered that no colors, mascots, etc, of either school be allowed to be used by the new institution. Many NGC alumni consider their institution as closed and do not accept UNG as "theirs". Their view is valid considering that the University System of Georgia's position is that Gainesville State was not absorbed by NGC. Both schools officially ceased to exist and UNG was "founded" in 2013.

While the main campus is in Dahlonega, and that is where all of the athletic teams are based, the Gainesville and Oconee campuses account for much of their student body, and many attending in Oconee do so in order to the live the UGA atmosphere.

I haven't heard any rumblings about football at UNG. They may be there, but I just haven't heard them. I just don't see the student body rallying to a program when such a large percentage are there with the intent to transfer.

The logical conference fit would be the GSC, but with Dahlonega being in extreme NE GA, it wouldn't have the easy road trips as would CSU.

I'd love to see it happen though.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
              CSU and UC are really big university systems, yet AP is the only school in California to have football. Why is that? I get that a lot of them are D1 non-football, but still?

What happened to that school in Mexico that was trying to get into D2?

I don't know anything about Tampa, but I hear their program pop up every now and again, what about them?
              Same question applies to Wisconsin too - albeit they don't have a "state" system, just UW.

Alabama-Huntsville? Or does the Crimson Tide not want other UA schools to have football?

Comment

Same question applies to Wisconsin too - albeit they don't have a "state" system, just UW.

Alabama-Huntsville? Or does the Crimson Tide not want other UA schools to have football?
                Wisconsin has a quasi state system. They have UW Parkside and UW Whitewater, and others I assume. Not as connected as the California one though.

Huntsville is interesting. North Alabama used to be DII till recently, and they have a number of schools that could add it as well. Montevallo, Huntsville, Auburn - Montgomery, etc.

Comment

Dude, research what happened with the University of Alabama-Birmingham program for the answer to that question.

Comment

Originally posted by purduefan11 View Post

Wisconsin has a quasi state system. They have UW Parkside and UW Whitewater, and others I assume.
                    Yeah, Green Bay, Superior, Milwaukee, La Crosse, Menomonie, Oshkosh, etc.

In Minnesota we have the University of Minnesota, as well as Minnesota State. That's kind of what I mean. They don't have "Wisconsin State University" - it all falls under one system for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Observer View Post

Dude, research what happened with the University of Alabama-Birmingham program for the answer to that question.
                      I remember when they cancelled football - albeit I never really looked into why. I'll give it a read.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

??? In a broad sense how does a school "greatly benefit from adding football to the detriment of other sports"? This is not D1 where significant dollars are in play. Nor are many, if any, of these players going to play at the next level. How did the members of the WHEELING UNIVERSITY wrestling team that finished second to ST CLOUD at the NC benefit from having their sport dropped in favor of football ?
                        First, I said some schools could benefit - and some is the key word. I'm the only one not being definitive here. There are no absolutes.

It goes without saying that I realize this is D2. I know the characteristics of the division and how it compares to D1. But D1 is irrelevant to this conversation.

Wheeling is an example of a school where I wouldn't say there would be an advantage to starting a football program to the detriment of others. There isn't potential to build a program that could become dominant even in the conference. Football is likely an enrollment booster for Wheeling. If that's all that a football program is, the football program should not be run at a detriment to other sports even if those other sports are less popular - my opinion.

Whether or not it happened, CSU-Pueblo is an example of a school that might have seen a benefit to adding football and funding it to the detriment of some other sports. The school's profile was one that would allow it to become dominant in the RMAC itself and also in the region. It had a really good team one year and won a national championship. That's probably worth diverting resources from another sport. West Florida is an example of another school where it would make sense.

But the main reason that I replied is that I felt the thinking that adding football to the detriment of another sport is too a rigid thought.

Comment

Originally posted by purduefan11 View Post

I believe that schools benefit from all sports, and football admittedly is expensive. I would rather a school sponsor 20+ sports without football if the alternative is sponsoring football and only a few other sports. Schools have to make programs sustainable over the long term.
                          And I obviously disagree. That's more of the NAIA model where they throw a little bit of money at a lot of things. My feeling is that it's just being mediocre in a lot of things to drive enrollment.

The good news is that people are allowed to have differing opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Observer View Post

UNG has almost 20,000 students, but they are spread out over five campuses. 36% of their students are enrolled in associates programs and only enroll in UNG in order to transfer to another four year school.

UNG was formed via the consolidation of North Georgia College (one of the oldest institutions in the state founded in 1873) and Gainesville State, which was created in the 1964 NGC had a very passionate alumni base, but the Board of Regents ordered that no colors, mascots, etc, of either school be allowed to be used by the new institution. Many NGC alumni consider their institution as closed and do not accept UNG as "theirs". Their view is valid considering that the University System of Georgia's position is that Gainesville State was not absorbed by NGC. Both schools officially ceased to exist and UNG was "founded" in 2013.

While the main campus is in Dahlonega, and that is where all of the athletic teams are based, the Gainesville and Oconee campuses account for much of their student body, and many attending in Oconee do so in order to the live the UGA atmosphere.

I haven't heard any rumblings about football at UNG. They may be there, but I just haven't heard them. I just don't see the student body rallying to a program when such a large percentage are there with the intent to transfer.

The logical conference fit would be the GSC, but with Dahlonega being in extreme NE GA, it wouldn't have the easy road trips as would CSU.

I'd love to see it happen though.
                            When it was still NGCS, some boosters had contacted me requesting information. That's a while back, however.

Comment

Whether or not it happened, CSU-Pueblo is an example of a school that might have seen a benefit to adding football and funding it to the detriment of some other sports. The school's profile was one that would allow it to become dominant in the RMAC itself and also in the region. It had a really good team one year and won a national championship. That's probably worth diverting resources from another sport. West Florida is an example of another school where it would make sense.
                              I just wish it had been another year................

Comment

First, I said some schools could benefit - and some is the key word. I'm the only one not being definitive here. There are no absolutes.

It goes without saying that I realize this is D2. I know the characteristics of the division and how it compares to D1. But D1 is irrelevant to this conversation.

Wheeling is an example of a school where I wouldn't say there would be an advantage to starting a football program to the detriment of others. There isn't potential to build a program that could become dominant even in the conference. Football is likely an enrollment booster for Wheeling. If that's all that a football program is, the football program should not be run at a detriment to other sports even if those other sports are less popular - my opinion.

But the main reason that I replied is that I felt the thinking that adding football to the detriment of another sport is too a rigid thought.

Your example of CSU-P is certainly an example that bolsters your argument. But mine comes from the action of dunderheaded administrators with stars (or maybe $$$) in their eyes who haphazardly jettison decent long term sports programs for the fools gold of football glory. This first caught my eye when DUQUESNE UNIVERSITY in my hometown, Pittsburgh, decided to eliminate baseball, swimming, wrestling and golf in order to maintain a football program that averages a 7-4 record before D2 crowds with no real hope of ever making a run in the FCS PO. I suppose my final point is that any institution considering this option should think long and hard before cutting off their noses

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X