Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 5 Arizona JCs drop FB

I spent an hour today visiting with the Ridgewater president in person. I was extremely impressed with his openness, his vision and his honesty. He laid it out for myself and my brother of the different options that they have dealing with football. Next week they have a meeting with representatives of the other schools in the conference that have football.

I found out that the coaches are part time, the money comes not from the general fund but student affairs, and that lack of housing is a huge problem for many of the players. PE courses are no longer taught there, nor are there any intramural programs. The school has lost a quarter of their enrollment and locally there is no great concern about dropping football. The future of the sport is not optimistic.

We told him that no matter what his final decision was that we would support him 100%. This is why you meet with people face to face- a phone call or emails would not have been as informative.

Comment

Comment

No team, just a stadium. Kind of like the Vermont Catamounts.

Comment

I don't think they could lose football forever, but was their a demand for it? Did they have the fan support behind it? I know JC's often struggle with the fan support and low attendance numbers. They probably really use that gate revenue.

Comment

As an aside, I watched the national junior college football championship on TV last night. East Mississippi beat Garden City KS 10-9. Some states have very successful JC programs, others not so much.

Comment

I remember a few years ago Washington was to be starting up JC football, but I don't think it ever happened. It looks like we used to have it here, but that it has been over 50 years since it disappeared.

Comment

Arizona Western is now also dropping football.

This leaves Eastern Arizona and Snow as the only two survivors from that conference. Has anyone heard what they plan to do?

https://www.azwestern.edu/about/news...otball-program

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post
                  I remember a few years ago Washington was to be starting up JC football, but I don't think it ever happened. It looks like we used to have it here, but that it has been over 50 years since it disappeared.
                  Last edited by catatonic; 12-09-2018, 08:05 AM.

Comment

I have a close family member that works at Maricopa Community College, and then suspending programs for their schools is a result of their financial situation. PCC has not had a competitive team for a while now from my understanding. Either way, less schools like these, equals less opportunity for the young men that still want to strap on the helmet and play the game they love.

Comment

Ridgewater to drop football for good. RIP.

https://www.wctrib.com/sports/footba...IpwOYer1E8Y7m0

Comment

Juco Football in KS is strong. I don't think there are any JuCos in Mo that have football. OK has some. Not sure about AR.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
                          Juco Football in KS is strong. I don't think there are any JuCos in Mo that have football. OK has some. Not sure about AR.
                          There were 65 teams outside of California- now down to 58.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tball_programs

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                            No team, just a stadium. Kind of like the Vermont Catamounts.
                            Not anymore... it's now State Farm Stadium.
                            Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                              Ridgewater to drop football for good. RIP.

https://www.wctrib.com/sports/footba...IpwOYer1E8Y7m0
                              Now there are two outdated items in this picture. I may have to go to the bookstore and buy some Ridgewater football t-shirts before they run out.

Comment

Michigan does not offer a single JUCO football program although many JUCO's do offer other sports that are decently competitive on the national level. The last Michigan JUCO football program was GRCC, which ended its program the same time T.A. left the school to take the Ferris St HC position. GRCC's final couple seasons saw them play teams as far away as Georgia during the season. They declined their Bowl invitation to play Snow in the Top of the Mountain Bowl because T.A. couldn't justify the expense of travelling to a game to play a team ranked that low. This was a team that was 11-0 and ranked #3 nationally but wasn't chosen to a high level game because of a lack of following limiting the profitability for the bowl hosts (per the press release about the declined bowl invite). Their schedule that season included teams in Georgia, Iowa and Illinois.

If the state doesn't offer JUCO football it is tough to justify the expenses.

Expenses were a major reason for the shutdown of many college programs out west (mainly California in the 1980's and 1990's). The schools could not justify the expenses of having the sport in the face of mounting pressures from budget constraints and Title IX regulations.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X