Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: D1 Schools ask for relief from NCAA

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OT: D1 Schools ask for relief from NCAA

    https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...n-requirements

    Looks like D1 schools want help to deal with virus-related financial fallout. Article indicates they are requesting to halt schools from moving up to D1 for four years as well.

  • #2
    The future of athletics, most notably football, at many schools regardless of division, hangs in the balance of what happens this fall. If school resumes and football happens, I still look for a fair number of schools in all of the divisions except for Power 5 to begin looking at moving down a division or two. If there is no football or school this fall, many mid major D1 programs will be heading to D2. Many D2 programs will be heading to D3 or NAIA, and many D3 programs will fold altogether. Wuhan Virus just hit the Ctrl+Alt+Del button for everyone.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
      The future of athletics, most notably football, at many schools regardless of division, hangs in the balance of what happens this fall. If school resumes and football happens, I still look for a fair number of schools in all of the divisions except for Power 5 to begin looking at moving down a division or two. If there is no football or school this fall, many mid major D1 programs will be heading to D2. Many D2 programs will be heading to D3 or NAIA, and many D3 programs will fold altogether. Wuhan Virus just hit the Ctrl+Alt+Del button for everyone.
      I mostly agree. I think we will see everything happen.

      I think some schools will cease to exist. I think some schools will drop football. I think some schools will reclassify to a less expensive level.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Brandon View Post

        I mostly agree. I think we will see everything happen.

        I think some schools will cease to exist. I think some schools will drop football. I think some schools will reclassify to a less expensive level.
        Some schools that were on the fringe financially have already ceased operations. Still seems to only be affecting the tiny private liberal arts schools, but who knows what could happen...

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

          Some schools that were on the fringe financially have already ceased operations. Still seems to only be affecting the tiny private liberal arts schools, but who knows what could happen...
          Those were the schools I had in mind.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Brandon View Post

            Those were the schools I had in mind.
            I'm not sure to what extent but this will change higher education to some degree. I don't envision the "doomsday" scenario a lot of people are, but my guess is at the very least it will expedite the closures of a lot of schools that were maybe only going to be operating for a few years anyway, prompt others to consolidate and/or merge, and drop enrollments nationwide.

            Some schools have also suspended all in-person courses for the remainder of the calendar year. It's going to be interesting to see what higher ed looks like this time next year.

            Comment


            • #7
              I really dont see how a lot of NAIA schools in Missouri are staying open. I have nieces and nephews going to schools with less enrollment than high schools

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Mule4ever View Post
                I really dont see how a lot of NAIA schools in Missouri are staying open. I have nieces and nephews going to schools with less enrollment than high schools
                It is really all about their endowments. There are very small private schools out there sporting endowments that would impress the Queen Mother. Trinity in Texas is $1.3 billion. Southwestern University, $240 million. Austin College in Sherman, $233 million. Hardin Simmons, $150 million. St. Mary's of Texas $155 million.

                Just Southwestern University alone probably has a bigger endowment than the entirety of the LSC combined. :bulgy-eyes:


                These guys are flush with cash to get them through. They will be survivors.
                Last edited by Herb Street; 04-16-2020, 07:35 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  However, endowments are generally used for university-wide scholarships and infrastructure projects not athletic budgets. Yet, some large schools have separate athletic endowments.
                  Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by UNALions View Post
                    However, endowments are generally used for university-wide scholarships and infrastructure projects not athletic budgets. Yet, some large schools have separate athletic endowments.
                    Correct. I was referring to the survival of the school, not the athletic dept. Although when schools have rich academic endowments, that frees up a lot of other money for things like athletics. Just because your house is paid off doesn’t mean you can afford a BMW, but it sure makes it a lot easier.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Keep an eye on Missouri Western. Significant financial trouble before the virus thing. Cutting majors, faculty and staff. Add to that the State of Missouri already talking big cuts to higher education.

                      https://www.newspressnow.com/coronav...4aece32fc.html

                      Last edited by CatFan88; 04-17-2020, 02:33 PM.
                      Go Hounds!
                      B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
                      Cyclone Power

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by CatFan88 View Post
                        Keep an eye on Missouri Western. Significant financial trouble before the virus thing. Cutting majors, faculty and staff. Add to that the State of Missouri already talking big cuts to higher education.

                        https://www.newspressnow.com/coronav...4aece32fc.html
                        I would guess a state school with 5,000 enrollment is about as safe as it gets. The private school down the road with 800 enrollment and low/no endowment might be history.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Herb Street View Post

                          I would guess a state school with 5,000 enrollment is about as safe as it gets. The private school down the road with 800 enrollment and low/no endowment might be history.
                          I don't think Missouri Western would be closed, far from it. But a university operating at a deficit, program and faculty cuts on the horizon then you pile on even bigger funding cuts by the state, the possibility of no college football and the possibility of no Chiefs training camp? That could be a pretty big pill to swallow.
                          Go Hounds!
                          B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
                          Cyclone Power

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Brandon View Post

                            I mostly agree. I think we will see everything happen.

                            I think some schools will cease to exist. I think some schools will drop football. I think some schools will reclassify to a less expensive level.
                            Revenue pressure will ignite realignment talks along regional lines, prompt discussions about shuffling non conference schedules to compete against nearby schools, drop sports, eliminate post season conference championship competition in non revenue sports as well as possibly moving down a level.

                            The biggest pressure will be on mid major FBS conferences, where most schools are already running annual deficits in the millions of dollars range.







                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Good points. Another possible consequence:
                              Online classes have been a disruptive force that many traditional brick and mortar schools have somewhat reluctantly offered for primarily lower level courses.
                              the pandemic has provided an existence proof thar vast majority of courses can be taught online at prestigious schools.

                              potential to reduce costs for brick and mortar schools?

                              Comment

                              Ad3

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X