X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sbkbghockey
    replied
    Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
    As expected, there is a grassroots effort to save the UAH hockey team. As of posting this, the fundraiser began 14 hours ago and has close to $70,000 of support, although they have a long way to go and according to the description - not a lot of time...

https://www.gofundme.com/f/uah-hocke...radition-alive
    COVID19 I'm sure accelerated UAH's decision but this program has been underfunded and on the ropes (along with the Alaska schools) for some years now. Especially since those three were left out of the new CCHA, the days of UAH playing varsity hockey was probably numbered anyway. ASU is fine being indy because the school has deep resources and prominent teams the upper midwest and northeast like traveling to the desert in the middle of winter. Extended time without a conference for UAH would just add to the travel budget for a program already underfunded.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    As expected, there is a grassroots effort to save the UAH hockey team. As of posting this, the fundraiser began 14 hours ago and has close to $70,000 of support, although they have a long way to go and according to the description - not a lot of time...

https://www.gofundme.com/f/uah-hocke...radition-alive

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by catatonic View Post
    https://www.redandblack.com/sports/p...27230b725.html

I lived in Athens most of my adult life and try to keep up with UGA and local news.
    2,000 for a club hockey game in Georgia is impressive. I didn't realize the town was building it, thanks for the heads-up.

Leave a comment:

• catatonic
    replied

UGA is building an ice arena that will function primarily as an events venue. That might be an option for some schools if they can either get donations or get voter support. Actually, it will be bigger than ASU's arena, and the Bulldogs will still probably draw more fans as a club D3 team.
    https://www.redandblack.com/sports/p...27230b725.html

I lived in Athens most of my adult life and try to keep up with UGA and local news.
    Last edited by catatonic; 05-23-2020, 10:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    I saw this list on another site. Chicago State hasn't "officially" dropped baseball yet- they did, then reconsidered and tabled the move because it would mean that they had less than the minimum sports. So don't expect a ruling until late June- which is bad for the players in case they want to transfer.

Cuts attributed to Covid-19
    Akron - Men's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Women's Tennis
    Alabama-Huntsville - Men's Hockey***
    Bowling Green - Baseball
    Central Michigan - Men's Indoor Track, Men's Outdoor Track
    Chicago State - Baseball*
    East Carolina - Swimming and Diving, Tennis (Both Men and Women)
    Furman - Baseball, Men's Lacrosse
    Sonoma State - Women's Water Polo**

Cuts announced prior/based on pre-Covid studies
    Cincinnati - Men's Soccer
    Jacksonville - Football
    Old Dominion - Wrestling
    UMKC - Men's Tennis, Women's Golf
    Valparaiso - Men's Soccer, Men's Tennis

Leave a comment:

• catatonic
    replied
    Originally posted by laker View Post

Neither do I. Title IX poses a huge problem if you aren't starting a women's program to match it. Hockey is a tremendously expensive sport. You need a rink for games and practices- those are expensive to run.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by laker View Post

Neither do I. Title IX poses a huge problem if you aren't starting a women's program to match it. Hockey is a tremendously expensive sport. You need a rink for games and practices- those are expensive to run.
    UGA is building an ice arena that will function primarily as an events venue. That might be an option for some schools if they can either get donations or get voter support. Actually, it will be bigger than ASU's arena, and the Bulldogs will still probably draw more fans as a club D3 team.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Tuscaloosa doesn't exactly strike me as an attractive travel location for most of the NCAA D1 hockey powers, which are mainly centered around the Upper Midwest and Northeast. Unless you see another SEC school add varsity hockey (Missouri, maybe?), I don't see that happening.
    Actually, Bama moved up to D1 to align themselves for a push into the NCAA. They seem to draw well in Pelham for the Iron Cup, which is impressive given it's a town smaller than Bemidji. All it would really take is a large donor or two.

Georgia was the one I was thinking of though. As far as I'm aware they're still D3, however having an on-campus arena puts them ahead of every other school in the south. Not even ASU has that luxury. EDIT: Yet.

Missouri would be a strong candidate too given their fan support.
    Last edited by SW_Mustang; 05-22-2020, 09:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Tuscaloosa doesn't exactly strike me as an attractive travel location for most of the NCAA D1 hockey powers, which are mainly centered around the Upper Midwest and Northeast. Unless you see another SEC school add varsity hockey (Missouri, maybe?), I don't see that happening.

Leave a comment:

• ctrabs74
    replied
    The University of Alabama-Huntsville has discontinued their Division 1 hockey program, as well as their D2 tennis programs.

BSU and UAH had one of the more unique rivalries in college sports, IMO. Heck, the UAH hockey team by itself was one of the more intriguing programs.

I wonder if this will open up an opportunity for the mothership to elevate it's ACHA team to the NCAA.

Leave a comment:

• Argonut
    replied
    An Alabama hockey team that actually won national championship was one of the most unusual fish out of water D2 stories of all time.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    The University of Alabama-Huntsville has discontinued their Division 1 hockey program, as well as their D2 tennis programs.

BSU and UAH had one of the more unique rivalries in college sports, IMO. Heck, the UAH hockey team by itself was one of the more intriguing programs.

I wonder if this will open up an opportunity for the mothership to elevate it's ACHA team to the NCAA.

Leave a comment:

• ctrabs74
    replied
    Not COVID related, but Concordia Portland, a non-football member of the GNAC ceased operations at the end of this term:

Update on recent active membership issues. [NCAA s]taff provided an update regarding the most recent merger discussions between the University of Alaska Anchorage and University of Alaska Fairbanks. It was noted that the institutions are expected to continue to operate as two separate institutions through the 2021-22 academic year. Additionally, staff provided an update regarding recent news related to Concordia University Portland ceasing operations at the conclusion of the 2020 spring term.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    There's now a bipartisan bill aimed at giving laid-off workers a $4,000 skills training credit to be used through the end of 2021. The goal is to get more workers back into the workforce quicker.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/20/coro...gislation.html

It's interesting. On one hand, I like the idea. On the other hand, I think the suspension of in-person classes really hinders the effectiveness of skills training - you can't learn how to weld without actually welding, which requires being in a physical building with teachers and other students.

Based on the article though, the credit would apply to colleges and universities, so that may be a way to help reinvigorate them.

Leave a comment:

• CALUPA69
    replied
    Originally posted by Sec10-A-14 View Post

While Mercyhurst (PSAC -Erie Pa) is closing and selling its Northeast campus (@ 15mi from main) and is moving those classes to Main),

Gannon U (PSAC Erie Pa) Is continuing its $20M funding of its Cyber-Security center.

Both are planning full operations come fall.

Oh! and both are Catholic private Universities.
    Considering that the tri-county (ERIE, CRAWFORD,WARREN) has had 170 cases or .003% of PA total, I'd say they are good to go unless a vacation surge this summer leads to a spike.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X