Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Bowie State, SR1/PSAC winner, and NCAA semifinals decisions

Quick question for everyone - if Bowie State upsets Valdosta State in the SR2 championship game (a big if; VSU will likely be significant favorites), what do you think the likelihood is the NCAA will pair Bowie State against the Shepherd at Kutztown SR1 winner in the national semifinals due to travel considerations? Regardless who wins between the SR1 #1 seed Golden Bears and #2 Rams, and regardless if BSU Bulldogs would have to travel to either Kutztown or Shepherdstown or if KU or Shep would need to go to Bowie, it would be a short trip for the road team - less than two hours for Shepherd/Bowie State and less than three hours for Kutztown/Bowie State.

I realize the NCAA is supposed to have the "best" super region champion play the lowest rated super region champ and the second-best and third-best SR winners play one another, but it isn't often that two, potential super region champions aren't far outside each other's own backyard. Just curious what people's thoughts are on the potential scenario.

NOTE: Let me emphasize again the above is not meant to overlook Valdosta State, but rather ask a question about an unusual, possible situation should it come to pass.

Originally posted by CHIP72 View Post
    Quick question for everyone - if Bowie State upsets Valdosta State in the SR2 championship game (a big if; VSU will likely be significant favorites), what do you think the likelihood is the NCAA will pair Bowie State against the Shepherd at Kutztown SR1 winner in the national semifinals due to travel considerations? Regardless who wins between the SR1 #1 seed Golden Bears and #2 Rams, and regardless if BSU Bulldogs would have to travel to either Kutztown or Shepherdstown or if KU or Shep would need to go to Bowie, it would be a short trip for the road team - less than two hours for Shepherd/Bowie State and less than three hours for Kutztown/Bowie State.

I realize the NCAA is supposed to have the "best" super region champion play the lowest rated super region champ and the second-best and third-best SR winners play one another, but it isn't often that two, potential super region champions aren't far outside each other's own backyard. Just curious what people's thoughts are on the potential scenario.

NOTE: Let me emphasize again the above is not meant to overlook Valdosta State, but rather ask a question about an unusual, possible situation should it come to pass.
    If you want to look at it from strictly a travel standpoint...

It would actually depend on the outcome of the SR3 and SR4 regional championships (aka the National Quarterfinals) between NW Missouri at Ferris State and Angelo State at Colorado Mines. Without having the data in front of me, you're probably looking at a minimum one flight should the other side of the bracket end up Ferris-Mines (1,226 miles), Ferris-Angelo (1,372 miles) or NW-Angelo (785 miles; depending on which routing you choose, Maryville, Mo. to Golden, Col. is between 591 and 611 miles, so that's right on the edge of bus vs. air transport.

From a seeding standpoint, if Kutztown is the lone top seed to advance to the semifinals, then you could see a scenario play out where SR1-#1 Kutztown ends up getting SR2-#2 Bowie State in the semis anyway, with NW Missouri (a #3 seed) facing top-seed Colorado Mines (I would hazard a guess that Colorado Mines has a better SOS than Kutztown, but don't quote me on it).

This scenario, obviously, presumes that the semifinal seeding is based on a #1 seed presumably getting more weight than a #2 or #3 seed.
    Last edited by ctrabs74; 11-28-2021, 12:18 AM.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
    Working...
    X