Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - Grambling State cuts entire volleyball roster

Pretty odd situation. Three practices seems a bit light to me.

Grambling State volleyball coach Chelsey Lucas cuts entire 19-player roster less than three months into job - CBSSports.com

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
    Odd? You might as well brace for the inevitable lawsuits.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Odd? You might as well brace for the inevitable lawsuits.
      On what basis? I don't know enough about the situation to say I agree or disagree with the coach's decision. However, scholarships are binding for one academic year. Student athletes can transfer without penalty but a coach is now required to keep players on the team?

If there is a basis for a lawsuit then I truly am trying to understand. Just not seeing how it would apply.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post

On what basis? I don't know enough about the situation to say I agree or disagree with the coach's decision. However, scholarships are binding for one academic year. Student athletes can transfer without penalty but a coach is now required to keep players on the team?

If there is a basis for a lawsuit then I truly am trying to understand. Just not seeing how it would apply.
        I'm not disagreeing that there may or may not be a legal basis for a successful lawsuit. My point was that you can't help but think that someone on the team may be thinking about pursuing a lawsuit (though, you're probably right that there may not be a basis for one). This is the society we've turned into.
        Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

I'm not disagreeing that there may or may not be a legal basis for a successful lawsuit. My point was that you can't help but think that someone on the team may be thinking about pursuing a lawsuit (though, you're probably right that there may not be a basis for one). This is the society we've turned into.
          Agreed. Work with people who on a weekly or monthly basis ask if we can be sued for X. My response is we can be sued for anything, being liable is a completely different story.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
            I don't like this decision from the coaches standpoint, or the way the AD defended the decision. Something absolutely stinks. I understand telling the athletes they need to compete for their scholarships, but when you cut the entire roster, and the AD doesn't know about it before hand, something doesn't pass the smell test.

Looking at her resume, she has been a solid coach in the SWAC, improving both programs she has coached.

What I find interesting and confusing, and potentially scary, is the comment from the AD. "He explained it makes sense from a numbers perspective because 14 or 15 "quality" players may be joining the team soon, leaving little room for returners."

This makes me wonder if those "quality" players are coming from UAPB, where she was the coach the previous three seasons? If so this absolutely stinks that she would be completely raiding her prior university.

Also, I wonder what the higher ups in the school think about the decision. While a substantial number of players likely were on scholarship, the idea that they just let an entire roster go, and the money that comes with it (non-scholarship players paying to attend the school), can't sit well with those in the administration building.

Also, it isn't as if they were a terrible team prior to her arrival. Grambling finished 8-8 in conference, and 11-17 overall in 2021.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
            Working...
            X