Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of an Era: Braly Stadium will no longer host UNA football

It's kinda hard for me to believe. Just 10 years after the last D2 title game there, UNA has announced they will build a new on-campus stadium and leave Braly behind as soon as 2026.

I feel like I'm getting old when I don't like change to happen. But, it does and I am. I'm excited about a brand-new facility. Yet, it's bittersweet.

So many of you have experienced games there (against UNA or in national title games), so I thought I'd mention it.

Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

NW was 5-4 at Braly and I was fortunate enough to have seen all 9 in person. 5 fun trips home/4 bummers. I always enjoyed our trips to Florence.

Comment

Originally posted by NWFanatic View Post
      NW was 5-4 at Braly and I was fortunate enough to have seen all 9 in person. 5 fun trips home/4 bummers. I always enjoyed our trips to Florence.
      Those late 90s games were epic with Carson-Newman. The semi-final game against UNA, I still try to block from my mind. LOL.
      Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Check out all the OTs!

1999 DII football championship: Northwest Missouri State vs. Carson-Newman (Full 4OT)

Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

What a crazy game! The refs stayed in the same hotel as we did and we visited with them over coffee the next morning. They said it was the most exciting game they’d ever been a part of. One of the refs said he was impressed with NW’s composure and how they talked in the huddle about how they were going to find a way to win. He said they never showed signs in the huddle of giving up despite the way the game was going.

Comment

A quick and fun video of field prep for the 2012 game between Valdosta State and Winston-Salem State.

Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Here are highlights of the 2011 game between Pitt State and Wayne St (MI).

Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

My most exciting moment was likely the 1993 season with UNA's first title. The ending of that game was exciting as a Lions fan!!

Yet, this video of IUP's side of things is very interesting including their "Mud Bowl" semifinal game with North Dakota!

Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

The first D2 title game in Florence was NDSU vs. South Dakota in 1986. I was in HS in 8th grade and played in the pre-game show as a member of the local McDonald's All-Star Marching Band. I remember thinking it looked like Christmas with red vs. green. Haha.

Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

I still have that address in the Garmin in our bus...LOL..some things never die I guess....GVSU had some fun times there for sure. Sad to see that place end...

Comment

Here's the full game of the 2002 matchup between #1 GVSU and #2 Valdosta State. The battle of the unbeatens. GVSU won in a thriller. Nice crowd at Braly that day.

Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by champgymusa View Post
                        I still have that address in the Garmin in our bus...LOL..some things never die I guess....GVSU had some fun times there for sure. Sad to see that place end...
                        Don't think Florence High is leaving Braly, just that UNA is building their own venue.

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post
                          Check out all the OTs!

1999 DII football championship: Northwest Missouri State vs. Carson-Newman (Full 4OT)

Yuck LOL

Comment

My original college plan was to go to school in Duluth to a community college that did not have football - so UMD was going to be my adopted team. I used to pour over highlights of their title victories at Braly². While chose a completely different path, there is that hint of nostalgia.

Are they keeping Braly or tearing it down? If it doesi't impact the budget too much I hope they hang on. That's what SMSU did (intentionally or otherwise).

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
                              My original college plan was to go to school in Duluth to a community college that did not have football - so UMD was going to be my adopted team. I used to pour over highlights of their title victories at Braly². While chose a completely different path, there is that hint of nostalgia.

Are they keeping Braly or tearing it down? If it doesi't impact the budget too much I hope they hang on. That's what SMSU did (intentionally or otherwise).
                              It will still host Florence HS games and other events.
                              Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X