Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About 70 Days

In about 70 days from now the realigned GMAC will begin play. There will be a lot of people, especially GLIAC people, who believe that the GMAC will be a "weak league." No Grand Valley State, no Ferris State, no Wayne or Saginaw Vally State. IMHO I believe the 2017 version of the GMAC will be an exciting and surprising season. Findlay, Ohio Dominican, Hillsdale, Tiffin and Alderson Broadus appear to be the top tier, but no games have yet been played. Some "older" GMAC teams might be of the opinion that they will beat all the new comers and march off into the D2 playoffs. Whatever happens, until the GMAC team defeats a GLIAC team in the playoffs, the GLIAC members on this message board will gloat. So let the gloating, smack talking and fun begin.

Re: About 70 Days

The only question I have at this point is how this MIGHT and i say MIGHT effect recruiting in the Michigan area for Hillsdale. With no interstate exposure I wonder if this will cause kids to think twice. Having said that I think Hillsdale might also benefit from not getting beat by GVSU,FSU,ect..I think Hillsdale is a terrific school and has a lot to offer a certain type of student athlete so maybe the conference change will be a lot about nothing. Crowd size means nothing to the kids nor does ESPN3 exposure. It is very much a mixed bag I am sure. You do get a nice huge chapel, so ya got that going for ya! I am sure your travel will be different also. Best of luck to the Chargers, I for one will miss playing them in all sports, not just football. Perhaps some non conference games might get on the books after 2022, lets hope!

Originally posted by DaleDude View Post
    In about 70 days from now the realigned GMAC will begin play. There will be a lot of people, especially GLIAC people, who believe that the GMAC will be a "weak league." No Grand Valley State, no Ferris State, no Wayne or Saginaw Vally State. IMHO I believe the 2017 version of the GMAC will be an exciting and surprising season. Findlay, Ohio Dominican, Hillsdale, Tiffin and Alderson Broadus appear to be the top tier, but no games have yet been played. Some "older" GMAC teams might be of the opinion that they will beat all the new comers and march off into the D2 playoffs. Whatever happens, until the GMAC team defeats a GLIAC team in the playoffs, the GLIAC members on this message board will gloat. So let the gloating, smack talking and fun begin.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post
      The only question I have at this point is how this MIGHT and i say MIGHT effect recruiting in the Michigan area for Hillsdale. With no interstate exposure I wonder if this will cause kids to think twice. Having said that I think Hillsdale might also benefit from not getting beat by GVSU,FSU,ect..I think Hillsdale is a terrific school and has a lot to offer a certain type of student athlete so maybe the conference change will be a lot about nothing. Crowd size means nothing to the kids nor does ESPN3 exposure. It is very much a mixed bag I am sure. You do get a nice huge chapel, so ya got that going for ya! I am sure your travel will be different also. Best of luck to the Chargers, I for one will miss playing them in all sports, not just football. Perhaps some non conference games might get on the books after 2022, lets hope!
      Way back when this was beginning, I asked several Hillsdale coaches about the Michigan factor and they said they have had to cast the net so widely that it really doesn't effect them that much. They haven't recruited head-to-head with GVSU, Ferris, et al in years. Like everything with the move....we shall see. Alumni are still upset but in the end will it really matter. I found articles from the Hillsdale paper written in the early 1970's complaining about joining the GLIAC but the Hillsdale identity was about being an independent. So, change upsets...and then people deal with the change.

I do know that while leaving Allendale after watching Hillsdale up there in basketball the last time they played, I had the sinking feeling that playing these new schools won't carry with it the same feelings. On the other hand there are opportunities to develop new rivalries. Hillsdale vs. Findlay was a big deal in the 60's, maybe that will see a new fire stoked.

As for playoffs with the GLIAC, right now some regional realignment is going to be needed. If the GMAC stays in Region 1, a Hillsdale, Findlay, or ODU wouldn't meet a GLIAC team until either the national semifinals or the finals.

Comment

Comment

Personally I could care less about what the GLIAC has to say. Each school that decided to leave had their reasons. I prefer to look forward and concentrate on UF being a conference leader in all sports. If some wise arse wants to weigh in, count me as one who won't respond. You cannot reason with myopia. The GLIAC has a rich history on their side and they should be proud but leave me out of it. I am truly excited for the new beginning of the G-MAC!

Comment

Originally posted by UFSwimDad View Post
            Personally I could care less about what the GLIAC has to say. Each school that decided to leave had their reasons. I prefer to look forward and concentrate on UF being a conference leader in all sports. If some wise arse wants to weigh in, count me as one who won't respond. You cannot reason with myopia. The GLIAC has a rich history on their side and they should be proud but leave me out of it. I am truly excited for the new beginning of the G-MAC!
            I understand where you're coming from and like your attitude. I personally will miss the GLIAC and some great memories. However, I am extremely optimistic and excited about the upcoming season and new conference.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
            Working...
            X