Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hillsdale vs. ODU Matchup

Here's a game to get us excited. Last weekend Findlay, Hillsdale, and ODU won their GMAC games by an average score of 41-2. In the other game LEC beat AB 16-15.

Over the course of the last two weeks, these two schools have combined for 165 points and 2337 yards of total offense. Saturday has all of the markings of a shootout and features elite level Division II talent.

ODU is the best 2-3 team in the country and Hillsdale is a couple of plays away from 4-0. Both offenses are cranking at a high level. Here is team and individual comparison of league rankings and full season numbers heading into Saturday's matchup at noon in Columbus.

Scoring Offense: 2) Hillsdale 33 ppg. 3) ODU 30 ppg.
    Scoring Defense: 2) Hillsdale 21.4 ppg. 3) ODU 25.6 ppg.
    Total Offense: 2) ODU 487.4 ypg. 3) Hillsdale 462.8 ypg.
    Passing Offense: 1) ODU 342.8 ypg. 3) Hillsdale 278.2 ypg.
    Rushing Offense: 2) Hillsdale 184.6 ypg. 4) ODU 144.6 ypg.
    Total Defense: 1) Hillsdale 327.2 6) ODU 457.8 ypg.
    Hillsdale and ODU are 1 and 2 respectively against the run. HC is 4th (220.8 ypg.) and ODU is last in the GMAC against the pass (308 ypg.)
    Time of Possession: 2) Hillsdale 32:47 8) ODU 28:24

Rushing: 3) David Graham HC 73/422 7TD, 5) Brandon Schoen ODU 46/227 2TD
    Passing: 1) Grant Russell ODU 300 ypg. 13TD 1INT 2 rushing TD, 3) Chance Stewart HC 256.6 ypg. 8TD 4INT 5 rushing TD
    Receiving: 1) Trey Brock HC 118.4 ypg 4TD, 3) David Turner ODU 103 ypg. 5TD, 4) Cory Contini ODU 100.6 ypg. 4TD

So...boiling it all down...there is definitely the potential for a shootout. Hillsdale looks to be a little better against the pass and if they can gain some control and don't have to chase points all day, they will likely try to shorten the game with some patented Otterball long possessions.

Looking forward to a great game!

Re: Hillsdale vs. ODU Matchup

Chargerblue:

Not trying to hijack your thread. I would agree that Hillsdale has a ton of talent. Don't let the naysayers tell you the talent will drop because of the switch to the GMAC. They said the same thing about UIndy and I think UIndy has as much talent on its roster as they've had in a long time.

I understand the GMAC and GLVC aren't close to being as good top to bottom as the GLIAC. Given time I think you will see the level of competition/talent rise in the GMAC as it has in the GLVC. Most older UIndy alums still long for the GLIAC but making the playoffs and winning conference championships has in my opinion allowed them to recruit equal to or better talent than they've had in a long time. At the risk of being crucified for that statement, I've seen it as I've watched a lot of UIndy football over the last 20+ years. Last years hiccup was painful in the short term and quite frankly the best thing that could have happened to the program in the long term.

As Hillsdale found out, McKendree is a good, well coached football team who has, outside of UIndy, been the most consistent program in the GLVC over the last 5 years. I'd love to attend the Hillsdale/ODU matchup as I'm sure it will be a good one. UIndy has its hands full this weekend as well. Good luck to all.

Comment

I am confident the league will get better like the GLIAC did. Tired of getting smoked? Get better. Sounds like the Hounds are dinged up a bit but that should be a great game this weekend as well. A Bearcat win could mean two GLVC teams finishing the year 10-1. That could really stir up the SR3 playoff picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great stat breakdown, Chargerblue.

Grant Russell has been so efficient with the ball and I look for that to continue. ODU's defense has to find a way to create turnovers. I'm taking ODU in a close one.

Comment

Good post, CB. I think Hound dog's post makes sense. The GMAC will get better. The GLIAC likes to brag about being the best, but I never bought into that as I think top to bottom, the MIAA is better. The GLVC was the topic of ridicule a year or so ago, but not anymore, and that young conference has already started to improve. The Hillsdale vs ODU contest should be a great game for fans. ODU will be tough, no doubt, but I've stayed "homer" and picked the Chargers to win. By the way, we need more GMAC folks to chip in with their thoughts about the GMAC, and we're still looking for a conference blogger!

Comment

Heck of a ball game in Columbus. 27-27 early in the 4th.

David Graham has 3 TD 100 yards. Trey Brock has 175 yards on 13 catches. ODU has capitalized on 2 Charger turnovers. Grant Russell just as steady as ever. 21/28 309 and 2 TD. Ran for a 3rd.

Comment

ODU took command at the end and won a well deserved victory 41-27. Hillsdale falls to 3-3 on the season 1-1 in GMAC. ODU 3-3 on the season 3-0 in the GMAC.

Stats: http://www.hillsdalechargers.com/spo...71007_uq2c.xml

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
              Working...
              X