• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brandon
    replied
    Re: Derek Redd reports Shepherd is leaving the MEC after next year

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    You missed field hockey. The NCAA somehow justifies having a NC tournament in a sport that only has 30 TEAMS !!!! Basically 2 conferences, PSAC and NE10, take turns hoisting this bogus trophy and bragging about winning it. There needs to be a 100 team minimum for a sport to sponsor a NC tournament.
    I only listed the top 10 in each gender. Should have stated that.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
    No kids. Obviously this gives me less emotional attachment in the ability to think clearly. ;)

Edit: I wrote the first half of that on my phone while driving. I couldn't expand on it until now.

In all seriousness, I was attempting to pick the two main sports per season based upon my guess at participation. Not counting any sports I left out as part of the director's cup in no way diminishes the achievements in those sports, it simply means the participation or popularity isn't as much. I only picked one winter sport because typically the only sport played besides basketball is indoor track, which would have given too much emphasis to track and field type sports for the director's cup standings.

Since Division II schools are required to have 10 sports, I thought the 10 I listed were the best choices.
    The hard thing about is if you limit it to the popular sports or try to assign a relative value that assigns points based on participation, you run the risk of upsetting the parents and true believers of any number of "boutique" sports. That's the problem with these "rankings." Each is an attempt to reach a compromise between several sometimes wildly divergent points of view. That's part of the reason I don't really care about these sorts of "rankings" and get a good chuckle when people quote them as PROOF of the greatness of their school.

But for the sake of argument, here's my list of sports that should be part of a mythical ranking system:

Men's Basketball
    Men's Football
    Baseball
    Men's Soccer
    Men's Outdoor and Indoor Track and Field (combined)
    Women's Basketball
    Women's Volleyball
    Softball
    Women's Soccer
    Women's Outdoor and Indoor Track and Field (Combined)

100 points for the team winner of each sport, 90 for the runner up, 80 for each losing semifinalist, 70 for each losing Quarterfinalist, each school that doesn't make the playoff field but has an overall DII W/L winning % at or above .600 get's 25 points. Total all the points a school gets at the end of the year and divide by 10. Stack them up top to bottom, declare the school with the top score the "winner," go home and enjoy the rest of your summer!

Leave a comment:

• UFOILERFAN
    replied

No kids. Obviously this gives me less emotional attachment in the ability to think clearly. ;)

Edit: I wrote the first half of that on my phone while driving. I couldn't expand on it until now.

In all seriousness, I was attempting to pick the two main sports per season based upon my guess at participation. Not counting any sports I left out as part of the director's cup in no way diminishes the achievements in those sports, it simply means the participation or popularity isn't as much. I only picked one winter sport because typically the only sport played besides basketball is indoor track, which would have given too much emphasis to track and field type sports for the director's cup standings.

Since Division II schools are required to have 10 sports, I thought the 10 I listed were the best choices.
    Please don't do this anymore. There are a lot of us that would like to have you around for a long time. :doh:

Leave a comment:

• Horror Child
    replied

And not counting "less popular" sports will drive future participation in them?

These are just odd comments coming from someone who advocates for Division II football. I mean, it's Division II, why should they even have a playoff or championship? :disapointed:

Leave a comment:

• CALUPA69
    replied

I looked up Division II sport sponsorship:

Women's:

319 - Basketball
    307 - Cross Country
    306 - Volleyball
    296 - Softball
    268 - Soccer
    246 - Track Outdoor
    226 - Tennis
    195 - Track Indoor
    192 - Golf
    107 - Lacrosse
    104 - Swimming

Men's:

318 - Basketball
    280 - Cross Country
    270 - Baseball
    233 - Golf
    217 - Soccer
    215 - Track Outdoor
    173 - Track Indoor
    172 - Football
    169 - Tennis
    75 - Swimming
    67 - Lacrosse
    You missed field hockey. The NCAA somehow justifies having a NC tournament in a sport that only has 30 TEAMS !!!! Basically 2 conferences, PSAC and NE10, take turns hoisting this bogus trophy and bragging about winning it. There needs to be a 100 team minimum for a sport to sponsor a NC tournament.

Leave a comment:

• Brandon
    replied

I looked up Division II sport sponsorship:

Women's:

319 - Basketball
    307 - Cross Country
    306 - Volleyball
    296 - Softball
    268 - Soccer
    246 - Track Outdoor
    226 - Tennis
    195 - Track Indoor
    192 - Golf
    107 - Lacrosse
    104 - Swimming

Men's:

318 - Basketball
    280 - Cross Country
    270 - Baseball
    233 - Golf
    217 - Soccer
    215 - Track Outdoor
    173 - Track Indoor
    172 - Football
    169 - Tennis
    75 - Swimming
    67 - Lacrosse

Leave a comment:

• Brandon
    replied

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
    Spoken like a guy who didn't have a daughter play lacrosse or a son who didn't swim.

Leave a comment:

• Horror Child
    replied

In my opinion, the director's cup should only count.

Football/Volleyball
    Cross Country/Cross Country
    Basketball/Basketball
    Baseball/Softball
    Track&Field/Track&Field

Something like that. The same T&F team can score director's cup points for both indoor and outdoor.
    Spoken like a guy who didn't have a daughter play lacrosse or a son who didn't swim.

Leave a comment:

• Horror Child
    replied

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    That could be. But I also have an issue with the point allocation among the various sports. For example, there are 10 teams in the nation that play DII Field Hockey. The winner of Field Hockey gets 100 points in the standings...Just like the #1 Football team. The #5 Field Hockey team gets 25 points...just like the TWELVE #17 rated Football teams!! Don't worry though, Alaska Fairbanks did pick up 112 points for finishing #6 and 12 in Riffle and Skiing (I'm assuming that is snow skiing??)!!:bulgy-eyes:
    Great example. :loser:

Leave a comment:

• CALUPA69
    replied

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
    IINM, most conference tournaments, NCAA super-regional qualifiers and Nationals are during the spring season; a couple of conferences, such as the PSAC, hold their golf tournaments in the fall.
    CC is a top 3 sport in terms of school participation, both men's and women's. Golf is more in the 5-7 range. And you forgot the second most played women's sport just behind WBB....VOLLEYBALL.

Leave a comment:

• ctrabs74
    replied

When is golf played?
    IINM, most conference tournaments, NCAA super-regional qualifiers and Nationals are during the spring season; a couple of conferences, such as the PSAC, hold their golf tournaments in the fall.

Leave a comment:

• Brandon
    replied

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    I don't disagree...but it is a hard nut to crack. Any time you have people trying to assign value/importance to things that are widely disparate you are going to have people that raise legitimate concerns. For example, I would probably take cross country off your list and include men's and women's golf.

These yearly rankings are basically designed to give people something to talk about. Guess it worked!
    When is golf played?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Yes. They opened the new field (guessing) around 2000 or 2001. It's nice but off the beaten path a bit.

Leave a comment:

• Dozsa2
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Is what it is when it comes to these type of things.

Take IUP for example. Lot of sports, yes. Let's just say it's not equal distribution of funds and priorities inside the athletic department.

The baseball program at IUP might as well be in Siberia. All the money goes in to three sports. The rest just kind of survive with what they get. Some, like women's volleyball and women's tennis, even thrive despite the 'second tier' status they unofficially receive.

Check out the coaches' salaries and offices. Joe Lombardi has a presidential suite. Soccer has a broom closet.
    It's funny you say your baseball program is 'in Siberia.' Do they still play at the field that's up on a hill? When I was in school I went to a few SRU away series each year to check out some other school's parks (I'm a big college baseball fan). One of the series was at IUP. That doubleheader remains, to this day, one of the coldest and windiest days I have ever spent at a college baseball game haha.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

In my opinion, the director's cup should only count.

Football/Volleyball
    Cross Country/Cross Country
    Basketball/Basketball
    Baseball/Softball
    Track&Field/Track&Field

Something like that. The same T&F team can score director's cup points for both indoor and outdoor.
    I don't disagree...but it is a hard nut to crack. Any time you have people trying to assign value/importance to things that are widely disparate you are going to have people that raise legitimate concerns. For example, I would probably take cross country off your list and include men's and women's golf.

These yearly rankings are basically designed to give people something to talk about. Guess it worked!

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X