Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice addition for WLU athletics

https://hilltoppersports.com/news/20...-facility.aspx

Not real big but better than nothing. Those winters get brutal on the hilltop!

Re: Nice addition for WLU athletics

What...Doesn't EVERY DII school have a practice bubble for their football team!!??

I mean, it only costs $400K. That should be an easy lift for most DII alumni bases in SR1, right?
    Last edited by boatcapt; 08-15-2018, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Probably the baseball and softball team will use it the most. Just guessing.

Comment

I'll take the bubble any day over the million plus conditioning facility Shepherd wanted/wants to build -- haven't heard a thing since I gave $$ back in 2016.

Shepherd University athletics is looking to upgrade with a $1.75 million performance facility. The athletic department announced a fundraising campaign this week in an effort to build a student-athlete performance center, with brand new conditioning and training facilities.

Comment

The reality of those facilities is that initital $1.75 million budget is simply just that ... a budget.

Once they start actually putting costs to the project and receiving actual bids that $1.75m often turns in to $3m or higher.

I've worked on many D1 indoor football facilities. The amount of money the big players are spending on these is insane. The $1.75m figure is actually extremely low for such a project. Granted, it won't look anything like the Hilton's the D1's are building.

I worked on the recent renovation of Cole Field House at the University of Maryland. It went from the old basketball gym to a completely renovated (gutted) indoor football facility.

They have to have them at that level. Huge recruiting tools.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
            The reality of those facilities is that initital $1.75 million budget is simply just that ... a budget.

Once they start actually putting costs to the project and receiving actual bids that $1.75m often turns in to $3m or higher.

I've worked on many D1 indoor football facilities. The amount of money the big players are spending on these is insane. The $1.75m figure is actually extremely low for such a project. Granted, it won't look anything like the Hilton's the D1's are building.

I worked on the recent renovation of Cole Field House at the University of Maryland. It went from the old basketball gym to a completely renovated (gutted) indoor football facility.

They have to have them at that level. Huge recruiting tools.
            The facilities, actually everything about the program, is just SOOOOO over the top at the P5 schools that it's almost sickening. Alabama has two 30 ft by 8 ft hot and cold tubs complete with waterfalls and big screen TV's so the players can "get therapy" after practice...Kentucky basketball players live in the Wildcat Lodge that features their own personal chef, theater lounge and big screen TV's in every room. While players at big time D1 programs may not be getting paid to play their sport, they certainly are living a million dollar life style were almost their every whim and desire is anticipated and catered to.

P5 schools would not even waist the effort to laugh at a $400K practice bubble or even a $1.75M "performance facility." Clemson's new football training facility features a laser tag facility, mini golf, a beach volleyball pit in addition to many other things. Price tag? $55 MILLION!!!!

The entire DII athletic budget for most schools wouldn't amount to a fart in the wind to one of the P5 football programs. They probably spend that much on maid service for the football managers every year!!
            Last edited by boatcapt; 08-15-2018, 01:59 PM.

Comment

This is what I have observed about most indoor facilities....

The football team might use them once or twice a year, but if your opponent has one, you better have one.

Baseball and softball get the most benefit.

Some of the far northern schools that have to deal with a lot of snow can use them for spring ball.

Where it's hot, the kids can use them for seven on seven in the summer.

Comment

I'd think they would be used quite a bit for off season team conditioning work as well as individual on-field rehab for injured players. Possibly more important in spring practice when the weather can be a bit rough at times in the NE. In the fall you want the team outdoors unless the conditions just won't let you.

While it might be couched as a "football facility", all WLU field sports and particularly baseball and softball will benefit from it.

Comment

Last edited by Layton; 08-16-2018, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                    I'd think they would be used quite a bit for off season team conditioning work as well as individual on-field rehab for injured players. Possibly more important in spring practice when the weather can be a bit rough at times in the NE. In the fall you want the team outdoors unless the conditions just won't let you.

While it might be couched as a "football facility", all WLU field sports and particularly baseball and softball will benefit from it.
                    Who did that?

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
                      Who did that?
                      Quote from the athletic department - "The football team will get full use of this new facility, as will the other programs here."

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                        Quote from the athletic department - "The football team will get full use of this new facility, as will the other programs here."
                        That doesn't appear in the story that you referenced. And who is "the athletic department"? I mean, if it's a quote, then some person said it.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X