Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SU Jessop signed by Skins

SU QB Connor Jessop signed by the washington redskins.
    Last edited by Rams Fan; 08-26-2018, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Re: SU Jessop signed by Skins

I am torn by this signing!!

Comment

Glad to see Conner get a shot, more than likely he was signed so the starters can get some rest, but if he plays well, perhaps he can land on the practice squad or audition for a spot on another team.

I know he was working with the QBs for Shepherd, any issues there?
        Last edited by ShepFan1; 08-26-2018, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Good to see Connor get signed. From what I have read, Hogan (3 string QB for the Skins) is going to play Friday night against the Ravens and Connor was signed in case of injury. Smith isn't playing and McCoy is injured. It's hard to see how he will play much unless he previously had access to the playbook and is familiar with it. Otherwise, it puts him at a great disadvantage with one week a practice to learn the plays and then play on Friday night. If he does it will be awesome to see.

Comment

Originally posted by wvftballfan View Post
            Good to see Connor get signed. From what I have read, Hogan (3 string QB for the Skins) is going to play Friday night against the Ravens and Connor was signed in case of injury. Smith isn't playing and McCoy is injured. It's hard to see how he will play much unless he previously had access to the playbook and is familiar with it. Otherwise, it puts him at a great disadvantage with one week a practice to learn the plays and then play on Friday night. If he does it will be awesome to see.
            I really don't see him getting into the game Friday unless Hogan gets injured OR Hogan just stinks up the joint so bad that they decide they are going to "go in a different direction". I would expect him to be a Saturday morning cut. What this does do for him is make him one of the first calls should the Redskins need emergency depth during the season if Smith goes down and McCoy is "dinged-up" to the point he is limited in practice. If that were to happen, Jessup may get a spot on the practice squad just to have another arm for practice.

For his trouble, Jessup will get $1074 (plus room, board and transportation) for his one week which is the NFL Pre Season Camp salary for rookies. But most importantly, he'll get to brag that he was an "NFL Quarterback" when he's trying to pick up girls at spring break!!

This begged the question, how much could a player make per year if they do not make a roster (to include the practice roster)? Near as I can figure, a rookie makes $1074 per week during all camps to include OTA and mandatory mini camp. An NFL team can have three weeks of OTA and a one week mandatory mini camp, plus the four weeks of pre season camp so a rookie that didn't make the team could conceivably make $8,592 for his off season troubles. Plus they get room and board and transportation to the practice facility. If this player comes back for a second (or third or forth, etc) year and again doesn't make the team, he would make $15,200 (plus room, board and transportation). But remember, that's for 8 weeks of "work" from basically May through the end of August. Negotiate a pittly little $30K "signing bonus" on top and you've got something worth doing for a couple of years after college!
            Last edited by boatcapt; 08-27-2018, 08:41 AM.

Comment

fyi- the ravens - redskins game is on Aug 30 (Thursday) not Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                I really don't see him getting into the game Friday unless Hogan gets injured OR Hogan just stinks up the joint so bad that they decide they are going to "go in a different direction". I would expect him to be a Saturday morning cut. What this does do for him is make him one of the first calls should the Redskins need emergency depth during the season if Smith goes down and McCoy is "dinged-up" to the point he is limited in practice. If that were to happen, Jessup may get a spot on the practice squad just to have another arm for practice.

For his trouble, Jessup will get $1074 (plus room, board and transportation) for his one week which is the NFL Pre Season Camp salary for rookies. But most importantly, he'll get to brag that he was an "NFL Quarterback" when he's trying to pick up girls at spring break!!

This begged the question, how much could a player make per year if they do not make a roster (to include the practice roster)? Near as I can figure, a rookie makes $1074 per week during all camps to include OTA and mandatory mini camp. An NFL team can have three weeks of OTA and a one week mandatory mini camp, plus the four weeks of pre season camp so a rookie that didn't make the team could conceivably make $8,592 for his off season troubles. Plus they get room and board and transportation to the practice facility. If this player comes back for a second (or third or forth, etc) year and again doesn't make the team, he would make $15,200 (plus room, board and transportation). But remember, that's for 8 weeks of "work" from basically May through the end of August. Negotiate a pittly little $30K "signing bonus" on top and you've got something worth doing for a couple of years after college!
                NFL players get paid $7600 a week on the practice squad according the Sporting News.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/n...r13zm4jrd0s45k

Comment

Originally posted by wvftballfan View Post
                  NFL players get paid $7600 a week on the practice squad according the Sporting News.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/n...r13zm4jrd0s45k
                  Yep. Practice squad is established after the cut down to the active 53 man roster. What I was giving is what a player makes during OTA's, mini camp and pre season camp.

Comment

Pretty cool local news piece done on Connor Jessop.

https://www.localdvm.com/sports/virg...sop/1400479641

Comment

According to DC's 980 The Team, Jessop has a pretty good shot at seeing some late second half action. I know, it will be with and against players who are mostly going to be "flippin' burgers" starting Monday, but it still gets him some actual game tape for other teams to use should they need a QB at some point during the year. Also give him a chance to show the Skin's coaching staff how quickly he can pick-up the playbook which could help him should Smith and McCoy go down during the season.

Good luck to him!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X