Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regional Rankings Coming Soon

Notre Dame College is in control of their destiny. At first glance it looks like the Mountain East Conference may only have one entrant in the post-season. Both Fairmont State and Shepherd have two losses; and there's more than enough teams with 0-to-1 loss. Of course a one or more of the 1-loss teams may lose and bring a few of the 2-loss teams into the fold, but again at first glance, I don't think I see Fairmont State or Shepherd getting in this season.

'Tis the Season-Regional Rankings Coming Soon
    I can be reached at [email protected].

Re: Regional Rankings Coming Soon

True...but I believe a few of those 1 loss teams have some pretty tough opponents yet to play. Much football to play and I wouldnt be surprised if at least two two loss teams make it in. Seems like they always do!

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
      True...but I believe a few of those 1 loss teams have some pretty tough opponents yet to play.
      Absolutely. New Haven as LIU Post scheduled for Week 11. Slippery Rock has Cal (PA) and Gannon. Hillsdale has Tiffin and Indianapolis to close out its final two weeks. New Haven beat Assumption today. Imagine the craziness if Assumption beats LIU Post next week and then LIU Post beats New Haven at the end of the season. There's certainly plenty to keep us entertained over the coming weeks.

Comment

As of the end of Week 8, you have eight teams with 0 or 1 loss:

MEC: NDC (8-0)
        GMAC: Tiffin (8-0 after pulling out a win over Ohio Dominican), Hillsdale (7-1)
        NE-10: LIU Post (7-0) and New Haven (6-1, but 6-0 vs. D2 teams)
        PSAC: Kutztown (7-0), West Chester (7-0) and Slippery Rock (7-1)

Here are the rest of the schedules for those 0/1 loss teams:

NDC hosts Charleston next week, then has back-to-back road games at Wise and Seton Hill.
        Tiffin has back-to-back road games, at Lake Erie and at Hillsdale, before closing the season at home against Findlay.
        Hillsdale will host Kentucky Wesleyan and Tiffin before closing the season at UIndy (GLVC - SR3, but it's 'in-region' because of neighboring states).
        LIU Post has back-to-back road games, at Assumption and Southern Connecticut, before closing the season at home against New Haven for what should essentially be the NE-10 championship.
        New Haven is at Stonehill, then hosts St. Anselm before their regular season showdown at LIU Post.
        Kutztown and West Chester face off in Kutztown next Saturday, for what should decide the PSAC East title; Kutztown closes the season at Millersville and at Edinboro, while West Chester closes out the season at home against Lock Haven and at California.*
        Slippery Rock travels to California for what should decide the PSAC West (presuming Cal doesn't blow it against Mercyhurst in tomorrow's completion of today's suspended game) before closing out the season at home against Gannon and Bloomsburg.*

* - The Week 11 opponents are for Kutztown, West Chester and Slippery Rock are subject to change depending on who qualifies for the PSAC title game in three weeks.

Now, let's take a look at the two loss teams from each of the SR2 conferences:

ODU (6-2): at East Stroudsburg, vs. Kentucky Wesleyan, at Lake Erie
        Fairmont State (6-2): at WV State, vs. Concord, at West Liberty
        Shepherd (5-2): vs. WV Wesleyan, at Charleston, vs. Virginia-Wise
        Assumption (5-2): vs. LIU Post, at Bentley, at Stonehill
        IUP (6-2): vs. Seton Hill, at Edinboro, vs. Shippensburg

You essentially have 13 teams fighting for seven spots in SR1. I'd suspect that number will shrink seven days from now.
        Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Kutztown and West Chester face off in Kutztown next Saturday, for what should decide the PSAC East title; Kutztown closes the season at Millersville and at Edinboro, while West Chester closes out the season at home against Lock Haven and at California.*
          The score may not reflect it, but Shippensburg was close to handing Kutztown its first loss. There was controversy surrounding a touchdown-ruled-fumble by Ship that would have tied the game with just a little over two minutes left to play in the 4th. I pulled that game up on my phone and caught the last few minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Raymond Franze View Post
            The score may not reflect it, but Shippensburg was close to handing Kutztown its first loss. There was controversy surrounding a touchdown-ruled-fumble by Ship that would have tied the game with just a little over two minutes left to play in the 4th. I pulled that game up on my phone and caught the last few minutes.
            I caught bits and pieces before the game, but I fell asleep around halftime of the noon games (the downside of working nights), but Ship did look to be in control for a while before Kutztown rallied.
            Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
              As of the end of Week 8, you have eight teams with 0 or 1 loss:

MEC: NDC (8-0)
              GMAC: Tiffin (8-0 after pulling out a win over Ohio Dominican), Hillsdale (7-1)
              NE-10: LIU Post (7-0) and New Haven (6-1, but 6-0 vs. D2 teams)

Here are the rest of the schedules for those 0/1 loss teams:

NDC hosts Charleston next week, then has back-to-back road games at Wise and Seton Hill.
              Tiffin has back-to-back road games, at Lake Erie and at Hillsdale, before closing the season at home against Findlay.
              Hillsdale will host Kentucky Wesleyan and Tiffin before closing the season at UIndy (GLVC - SR3, but it's 'in-region' because of neighboring states).
              LIU Post has back-to-back road games, at Assumption and Southern Connecticut, before closing the season at home against New Haven for what should essentially be the NE-10 championship.
              New Haven is at Stonehill, then hosts St. Anselm before their regular season showdown at LIU Post.
              Slippery Rock travels to California for what should decide the PSAC West (presuming Cal doesn't blow it against Mercyhurst in tomorrow's completion of today's suspended game) before closing out the season at home against Gannon and Bloomsburg.*

* - The Week 11 opponents are for Kutztown, West Chester and Slippery Rock are subject to change depending on who qualifies for the PSAC title game in three weeks.

Now, let's take a look at the two loss teams from each of the SR2 conferences:

ODU (6-2): at East Stroudsburg, vs. Kentucky Wesleyan, at Lake Erie
              Fairmont State (6-2): at WV State, vs. Concord, at West Liberty
              Shepherd (5-2): vs. WV Wesleyan, at Charleston, vs. Virginia-Wise
              Assumption (5-2): vs. LIU Post, at Bentley, at Stonehill
              IUP (6-2): vs. Seton Hill, at Edinboro, vs. Shippensburg

You essentially have 13 teams fighting for seven spots in SR1. I'd suspect that number will shrink seven days from now.
              I know in the past a team playing only 10 games was hurt by that when it came playoff selection time. If I did the math correctly, looks like New Haven will have only 9 DII games this year. I wonder how that will effect them? Would you slot a 9-0 team ahead of a 10-1 team? Would an 8-1 team get in over a 9-2 team?

For that matter, wonder how a 9-1 team will compare to a 9-2 one?

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                I know in the past a team playing only 10 games was hurt by that when it came playoff selection time. If I did the math correctly, looks like New Haven will have only 9 DII games this year. I wonder how that will effect them? Would you slot a 9-0 team ahead of a 10-1 team? Would an 8-1 team get in over a 9-2 team?

For that matter, wonder how a 9-1 team will compare to a 9-2 one?
                That will knock out Shep and Assumption, too. IUP playing Ashland in non-conference will bump them ahead if a spot is available. ODU has the easiest path of the two-loss teams.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                  That will knock out Shep and Assumption, too. IUP playing Ashland in non-conference will bump them ahead if a spot is available. ODU has the easiest path of the two-loss teams.
                  True...But only marginally easier than Fairmont's. I see both teams winning out and probably pretty easily.

Don't know if 10 games (or fewer) knocks a team out...I've seen some pretty screwie things happen come selection time with all sort of "reasons" proffered for why a 10 game team was selected ahead of one with 11 games on it's resume.

As for the "Ashland bump" for IUP, it would be small but possible. I note they go to and play a good 2 loss Davenport team this week and then entertain a really good GVSU team the week after. Assuming they can split those two and then beat 2-6 Northern Michigan to close the season, they finish at 6-5...They go 1-2 over the last three weeks which is within the relm of realistic possibility and they finish 5-6.
                  Last edited by boatcapt; 10-21-2018, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X