Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frostburg State Rival

Who do you guys think will be Frostburg's Rival? Seeing how salisbury is still d3 we don't have a big beef with anyone in the MEC.

Thoughts?

Most probable school in a few years just left the Conference :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by Real_FSU_47 View Post
      Who do you guys think will be Frostburg's Rival? Seeing how salisbury is still d3 we don't have a big beef with anyone in the MEC.

Thoughts?
      First, welcome to the board! Good to have a Frostburg voice on board.

The most likely geographic rival will be Fairmont about 80 miles away. Next would be West Liberty and Wheeling at about 130 miles.

Frostburg is the largest school in the MEC so as such, you should be able to put resources into your programs that will probably pretty quickly move you to the top of the MEC athletic heap. You also have the benefit of being a MD public school and one of only two DII programs in the state which should make you very competative in obtaining in-state athletes. MD is one of the most fertile football player producing areas in the nation and you will have the in-state tuition benefit that none of the other DII's that annually pull large numbers of players to their programs have.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

First, welcome to the board! Good to have a Frostburg voice on board.

The most likely geographic rival will be Fairmont about 80 miles away. Next would be West Liberty and Wheeling at about 130 miles.

Frostburg is the largest school in the MEC so as such, you should be able to put resources into your programs that will probably pretty quickly move you to the top of the MEC athletic heap. You also have the benefit of being a MD public school and one of only two DII programs in the state which should make you very competative in obtaining in-state athletes. MD is one of the most fertile football player producing areas in the nation and you will have the in-state tuition benefit that none of the other DII's that annually pull large numbers of players to their programs have.
        Thanks for the warm welcome! As a former player and coach at Frostburg i am excited to see how the future looks. I only wish i could be apart of this transition! So it looks like i'll have to hate the other FSU gotcha!

Comment

Thoughts?

Just read this board enough and you'll have plenty of beefs soon enough.

Comment

I'm looking forward to seeing Frostburg's success arc. They have a LOT going for them and were a highly successful D3 football program coming in. They may take some lumps early in the transition, but I think they have a coaching staff that is top notch and will figure it out rather quickly. I am concerned with their basketball program as they haven't been very good lately.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Just read this board enough and you'll have plenty of beefs soon enough.
              Those are hurtful words bigINDIANS, HAHAHAHAHA!!! I'm all sunshine and butterflies!!!

Comment

I'm looking forward to seeing Frostburg's success arc. They have a LOT going for them and were a highly successful D3 football program coming in. They may take some lumps early in the transition, but I think they have a coaching staff that is top notch and will figure it out rather quickly. I am concerned with their basketball program as they haven't been very good lately.
                The football program will take a year or two to truly compete for the conference, which is all good anyways as we won't be able to make the playoffs for 3 seasons. The basketball team i actually think will do really well. We had a new head coach last year and looking at how they played, was very similar to football's second year under the head coach. Had to learn how to finish games. They will be competing faster then most will expect.

Comment

The football program will take a year or two to truly compete for the conference, which is all good anyways as we won't be able to make the playoffs for 3 seasons. The basketball team i actually think will do really well. We had a new head coach last year and looking at how they played, was very similar to football's second year under the head coach. Had to learn how to finish games. They will be competing faster then most will expect.
                  It will be interesting watching Frostburg's first basketball game vs WLU. Games like that usually turn out being "eye opening" experiences!!!!

Maybe the powers that be will create some sort of "rivalry game" between West Liberty and Frostburg?? Maybe some tie in with the National Road which went from Cumberland, through Frostburg on to Wheeling and then west. In keeping with these games, some sort of unique "trophy" like an "Old Road Sign" is awarded to the winner each year.
                  Last edited by boatcapt; 09-04-2019, 01:09 PM.

Comment

It would be nice to do something with someone. On our hand its hard for us to have some sort of natural rivalry with West Virginia as even our main recruiting opponents have been bowie, shepard, and salisbury.

Comment

It will be interesting watching Frostburg's first basketball game vs WLU. Games like that usually turn out being "eye opening" experiences!!!!

Maybe the powers that be will create some sort of "rivalry game" between West Liberty and Frostburg?? Maybe some tie in with the National Road which went from Cumberland, through Frostburg on to Wheeling and then west. In keeping with these games, some sort of unique "trophy" like an "Old Road Sign" is awarded to the winner each year.

145 to 38

Comment

Unless there is a "same town" type natural rivalry (WLU and Wheeling for example), rivalries are developed over time. This can be accelerated by close play or even coach/player comments but absent that, time is the biggest factor. WLU had a big rivalru with Seton Hill back in the day. Not because SHU was particularly close, they were particularly good (quite the contrary) or because we had played them for a long time. The rivalry was built primarily on thuggish behavior and comments by their players and coaching staff. In basketball, WLU's rivalry with IUP is built largely on the head to head competition over a number of years...That and the general loathing by IUP fans of our former coach, Saint Crutchfeld! That and the fact they don't like WLU because we don't "win right"!!

Comment

Unless there is a "same town" type natural rivalry (WLU and Wheeling for example), rivalries are developed over time. This can be accelerated by close play or even coach/player comments but absent that, time is the biggest factor. WLU had a big rivalru with Seton Hill back in the day. Not because SHU was particularly close, they were particularly good (quite the contrary) or because we had played them for a long time. The rivalry was built primarily on thuggish behavior and comments by their players and coaching staff. In basketball, WLU's rivalry with IUP is built largely on the head to head competition over a number of years...That and the general loathing by IUP fans of our former coach, Saint Crutchfeld! That and the fact they don't like WLU because we don't "win right"!!
                          IUP and WL don't have a basketball rivalry any longer. They haven't played in 5 years. We may think they do in Message Board World but they don't. Maybe this will finally be the year.

Since this is the football side we could make a push for an IUP vs WL non-conference series. You won't like the results, however.

Comment

I agree with you Seton Hill under Tony Morocco was the dirtiest basketball program around. They had issues with everybody.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I agree with you Seton Hill under Tony Morocco was the dirtiest basketball program around. They had issues with everybody.
                              The rivalry that WLU had with Seton Hill was in football and it certainly wasn't because of the equality of the two programs (this was back in the Amedro days when WLU was a scoring machine)! Typically one of the SHU players or coaches would mouth off about how they were going to teach WLU a "lesson" OR a group of their players would urinate on the WLU logo before the game and holly he11 would break lose.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X