Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bluefield State bringing back football

With Bluefield State bringing back football, would it be a good addition to the MEC? Any thoughts out there?

Originally posted by GSCfan1275 View Post
    With Bluefield State bringing back football, would it be a good addition to the MEC? Any thoughts out there?
    Always good to add a team that's ready to compete. The question is when will BSC truly be ready ? IMO, not before '22. Good luck to the BIG BLUE.

Comment

Originally posted by GSCfan1275 View Post
      I think the MEC needs to wait and see if Bluefield State is stable.
      The future of Bluefield State is tenous, as there have been discussions that seem to indicate the Concord and Bluefield State may need to merge in some way to survive long term.
      I wonder if starting football and building dorms is a last gasp attempt for a miracle comeback.
      Here is link to draft report from a national higher education consulting firm from 2019:
      https://www.wvnews.com/news/wvnews/r...af14607ba.html

Comment

The report is from over 2 years ago.

As to inviting BSC to join the MEC, I said in another thread, I would not be in favor of doing it immediately. What I would be in favor of is inviting them to be an associate member in a couple of sports (not football) and perhaps a scheduling alliance in some others. Set some enrolement and athletic performance metrics and reevaluate a full membership in 4 or 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
          The report is from over 2 years ago.

As to inviting BSC to join the MEC, I said in another thread, I would not be in favor of doing it immediately. What I would be in favor of is inviting them to be an associate member in a couple of sports (not football) and perhaps a scheduling alliance in some others. Set some enrolement and athletic performance metrics and reevaluate a full membership in 4 or 5 years.
          Are you aware of anything that has substantively changed in their outlook since 2018?
          Southern WV is in desperate straits, IMHO, in terms of population. Then you have WVU Tech just up the road in Beckley and Bluefield College just a mile over the border in Bluefield, VA.
          That is a lot of competition for a dwindling college population.

Here is an audit from 2018. I would have to sleep at a Holiday Inn Express tonight to be able to interpret the details. BSU has been losing $10M a year in 2016, 2017, and 2018. The losses have been nearly completely covered by State appropriations and Pell grants ($9.2M). Still lost 300K in 2018. See page 6 of audit.
          This is where shutting down the economy for COVID is really going to hurt by reducing tax revenue and there is not enough $ to support all the needs, not just BSU.

http://www.wvhepc.edu/wp-content/upl...Statements.pdf

Although the last report was 2018 as far as I know, the discussions on the long term future of these two schools has been going on for some time. I think there is a lot of history, tradition and pride that is standing in the way of a pragmatic solution. Enrollment has declined fro 2073 in 2010 to 1275 in 2019.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Are you aware of anything that has substantively changed in their outlook since 2018?
            Southern WV is in desperate straits, IMHO, in terms of population. Then you have WVU Tech just up the road in Beckley and Bluefield College just a mile over the border in Bluefield, VA.
            That is a lot of competition for a dwindling college population.

Here is an audit from 2018. I would have to sleep at a Holiday Inn Express tonight to be able to interpret the details. BSU has been losing $10M a year in 2016, 2017, and 2018. The losses have been nearly completely covered by State appropriations and Pell grants ($9.2M). Still lost 300K in 2018. See page 6 of audit.
            This is where shutting down the economy for COVID is really going to hurt by reducing tax revenue and there is not enough $ to support all the needs, not just BSU.

http://www.wvhepc.edu/wp-content/upl...Statements.pdf

Although the last report was 2018 as far as I know, the discussions on the long term future of these two schools has been going on for some time. I think there is a lot of history, tradition and pride that is standing in the way of a pragmatic solution. Enrollment has declined fro 2073 in 2010 to 1275 in 2019.
            Just some simple math. If BSC brings in 250 additional undergrads who are also athletes, that would be between an additional $1.8M (all in-state) and $3.6M per year in tuition alone. Doesn't fix all their financial issues but it goes a long way toward it.

I note that Capehart has also done a number of things to "right size" staff since he has been at the helm (2019 forward). I also think BSC is going to really start playing on their HBCU status by pitching to the black community in hopes of increasing the numbers

Comment

Just some simple math. If BSC brings in 250 additional undergrads who are also athletes, that would be between an additional $1.8M (all in-state) and $3.6M per year in tuition alone. Doesn't fix all their financial issues but it goes a long way toward it.

I note that Capehart has also done a number of things to "right size" staff since he has been at the helm (2019 forward). I also think BSC is going to really start playing on their HBCU status by pitching to the black community in hopes of increasing the numbers
              $3.6 M minus additional costs for living space, student services expenses, possible new faculty positions etc. And please remember the pending expenses for FOOTBALL...new stadium, equipment, training facilities for the single most expensive college sport. If they're upgrading FB, that's one level of expense. Starting from scratch is a different ballgame altogether. With the total new world they're facing, not even sure if they'll be able to finish the fall semester, forget about the school year, it strikes me as a less than auspicious time to take this leap. But thankfully it's not my tax dollars. Go BIG BLUE !!!

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                $3.6 M minus additional costs for living space, student services expenses, possible new faculty positions etc. And please remember the pending expenses for FOOTBALL...new stadium, equipment, training facilities for the single most expensive college sport. If they're upgrading FB, that's one level of expense. Starting from scratch is a different ballgame altogether. With the total new world they're facing, not even sure if they'll be able to finish the fall semester, forget about the school year, it strikes me as a less than auspicious time to take this leap. But thankfully it's not my tax dollars. Go BIG BLUE !!!
                Couple of notes.

First, a new stadium is an optional expense. Dont think BSC has said they will be building such a thing. Not surprising when you consider that 10000 seat Mitchell Stadium is about 1 mile from campus.. this is were BSC played back when they had a team and id think they will be playing there again. So scratch that from the list.

Second, schollys at WV public schools are all paid from alumni donations so even if the school chooses to offer 32 equivalents, not a penny comes from the schools budget.

Third, training expenses are another optional expense. While the current facilities might not be as silver plated as some DII programs,, there is no requirement that they be immediately upgraded.

Four, living spaces are what they are. I note that BSC just broke ground on a new residence hall which is the first on campus living space they will have since the old dorms were closed in the 70's.

Will there be expenses? Sure, but not as many as some would have us believe.

I applaud BSC for being bold when it seems like the rest of the college landscape is running scared. Will it ultimately turn out to be a successful tactic? Only time will tell.

Comment

Couple of notes.

First, a new stadium is an optional expense. Dont think BSC has said they will be building such a thing. Not surprising when you consider that 10000 seat Mitchell Stadium is about 1 mile from campus.. this is were BSC played back when they had a team and id think they will be playing there again. So scratch that from the list.

Second, schollys at WV public schools are all paid from alumni donations so even if the school chooses to offer 32 equivalents, not a penny comes from the schools budget.

Third, training expenses are another optional expense. While the current facilities might not be as silver plated as some DII programs,, there is no requirement that they be immediately upgraded.

Four, living spaces are what they are. I note that BSC just broke ground on a new residence hall which is the first on campus living space they will have since the old dorms were closed in the 70's.

Will there be expenses? Sure, but not as many as some would have us believe.

I applaud BSC for being bold when it seems like the rest of the college landscape is running scared. Will it ultimately turn out to be a successful tactic? Only time will tell.
                  Seems like I recall a college president who had all manner of bold plans for raising his university up to the next level in a very short time, money and common sense be damned. It really seemed to work....for a time. And then it didn't. My old brain seems to remember that it cost him his job. But maybe it's just my imagination. Getting old sucks.

Comment

Seems like I recall a college president who had all manner of bold plans for raising his university up to the next level in a very short time, money and common sense be damned. It really seemed to work....for a time. And then it didn't. My old brain seems to remember that it cost him his job. But maybe it's just my imagination. Getting old sucks.
                    Boy...That's SOME projection!!!! Going from starting a football program to building an edifice to himself in six sentences!!!!!

Comment

Boy...That's SOME projection!!!! Going from starting a football program to building an edifice to himself in six sentences!!!!!
                      Hmmm...time will tell.

Comment

Hmmm...time will tell.
                        Sure will. But at least BSC is only starting some sports teams. HBCU Delaware State is buying a whole other college (Wesley)!!

Comment

Sure will. But at least BSC is only starting some sports teams. HBCU Delaware State is buying a whole other college (Wesley)!!
                          From a purely business point of view both of these moves seem badly timed. If a business has an abundance of cash, making moves in a down cycle can result in big gains due to limited number of competitors opposing you. Without that abundance of cash in this very uncertain time, taking significant risks seems foolhardy. Obviously the DSU move much more than the BSC. IMO, holding on to what you've got seems more reasonable. But English majors don't have much standing in this argument.

Comment

From a purely business point of view both of these moves seem badly timed. If a business has an abundance of cash, making moves in a down cycle can result in big gains due to limited number of competitors opposing you. Without that abundance of cash in this very uncertain time, taking significant risks seems foolhardy. Obviously the DSU move much more than the BSC. IMO, holding on to what you've got seems more reasonable. But English majors don't have much standing in this argument.
                            I understand what you are saying...But if you are working on a failed business model, waiting and doing nothing will almost certainly result in closing. Probably sooner rather than later. As the saying goes, hope is not a strategy...also Fortune favors the bold. BSC could have done what many other schools have done, in all or part, close up shop and hope things get better in the future, OR, they could be bold and buck the system. I applaud them for being bold when so many of their peers are running scared. Maybe it works...maybe it doesn't, but at least they are trying somthing completely different!

Comment

Some other less publicized things BSC has done to increase enrollment. First, they started a "Metro Rate" to offer students in 3 VA counties reduced tuition rates. Second, they offered enrollment options for international students that were enrolled at colleges that will not have on-campus education this semester. I'd say neither are game changers by themselves but they do show that BSC is not pinning all their hopes on the students that come in because of the 11 new sports.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X