Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obviously a different team and different season. Should we also constantly remind people how really bad Lenoir Rhyne was years ago before they started fielding much better teams?

Your earlier quote about the Braves:
    "Picking up a road win would be a nice bonus. The Braves have not had a victorious bus ride home since September 9, 2017. It will not be easy to break that streak as their three road games are against the three teams ranked ahead of them in the coaches poll."

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
      Obviously a different team and different season. Should we also constantly remind people how really bad Lenoir Rhyne was years ago before they started fielding much better teams?

"Picking up a road win would be a nice bonus. The Braves have not had a victorious bus ride home since September 9, 2017. It will not be easy to break that streak as their three road games are against the three teams ranked ahead of them in the coaches poll."
      I felt it was reasonable to point out that they hadn't won a road game in three years.

Comment

The lack of a road win may have started in 2017, but it continued through last season (2019) and included a number of players on the current squad so I think it is a valid point to make.

Comment

This year's NFL Champion Tampa Bay Bucs had 14 loses back in 2017 (and 13 loses in 2018), which has absolutely no relevance at all to this past season. That is, I would believe, unless by chance someone's trying to portray the Bucs as nothing more than a traditionally losing program. Which probably happens from time to time from some 'regional' reporters perspective.

If you bother to check, way over half the Brave's team were either still in high school or at a different football program back in 2017.

Again, if you really wanted to twist thing around, you could say that the Braves haven't lost a single road game since they played #7 Lenoir Rhyne in a 31-45 loss back in 2019 (last decade).

Comment

This year's NFL Champion Tampa Bay Bucs had 14 loses back in 2017 (and 13 loses in 2018), which has absolutely no relevance at all to this past season. That is, I would believe, unless by chance someone's trying to portray the Bucs as nothing more than a traditionally losing program. Which probably happens from time to time from some 'regional' reporters perspective.

If you bother to check, way over half the Brave's team were either still in high school or at a different football program back in 2017.

Again, if you really wanted to twist thing around, you could say that the Braves haven't lost a single road game since they played #7 Lenoir Rhyne in a 31-45 loss back in 2019 (last decade).
            A recent history of losing road games could have as much to do with coaching, preparation or logistics as roster. It was relevant and mentionable. Enough so that the headline in UNCP's own post game article use the term "Road Hex" and it was also mentioned by their hometown newspaper, the Robesonian.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Bitner View Post

A recent history of losing road games could have as much to do with coaching, preparation or logistics as roster. It was relevant and mentionable.
              If losing in the past remains relevant, I'm sure from this point forward that each time you write about the SAC you will remind everyone that in it's 45 year history no team from that conference has ever won a single Division 2 (the relevant division) Football Championship. But who knows, never being able to obtain a single D-2 Football Championship ring could have as much to do with coaching, preparation or logistics as roster.

Comment

If losing in the past remains relevant, I'm sure from this point forward that each time you write about the SAC you will remind everyone that in it's 45 year history no team from that conference has ever won a single Division 2 (the relevant division) Football Championship.
                It is noteworthy.

Comment

A couple of other things...I didn't rank the teams. The MEC coaches did. I just layed out the teams in the order they were ranked and offered an observation or two to try to offer something for the D2 fans around the country that might not be very familiar with the MEC, but will hopefully watch since they are playing ball. We have had football in a year and half, so there isn't anything recent to talk about. In looking at schedules, I could see UNCP is playing five games this spring. Two at home, three away. Road games have been been a struggle for a few years so that imbalance does not work in their favor. Further, The three games on the road are against teams that were 8-3, 7-3, and 7-4 in the most recent season. Coincidently, the same three teams the coaches ranked ahead of UNCP in their poll. The two home games are against teams that both finished 1-10 in 2019. Those are facts. I used those facts to indicate that the road schedule is a challenge. Now that football is actually being played, we know UNCP is up the challenge.

Comment

Hahahah! I see...WAY back in the last decade!!

You could also say, UNCP hadn't won a road game in the last two seasons.

Comment

If losing in the past remains relevant, I'm sure from this point forward that each time you write about the SAC you will remind everyone that in it's 45 year history no team from that conference has ever won a single Division 2 (the relevant division) Football Championship. But who knows, never being able to obtain a single D-2 Football Championship ring could have as much to do with coaching, preparation or logistics as roster.
                      It is a relivent observation and will be noted should a SAC team make the NC game. Heck, SR1 teams hear about it every time we make the NC game!!

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                        It is a relivent observation and will be noted should a SAC team make the NC game. Heck, SR1 teams hear about it every time we make the NC game!!
                        Yeah. As a PSAC alumnus of former columnist, it was painful to have dredge up history of performances in semi final games. But there was a period of several consecutive years that the PSAC was in the final four and it was, unfortunately, relevant to talk about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Bitner View Post

Yeah. As a PSAC alumnus of former columnist, it was painful to have dredge up history of performances in semi final games. But there was a period of several consecutive years that the PSAC was in the final four and it was, unfortunately, relevant to talk about it.
                          As a MEC/WVIAC supporter, I often hear a similar refrain from the PSAC faithful when talking about the MEC getting a second team in the playoffs.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X