Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

We have a perception of the jobs in SR1 that perhaps potential coaching canadates from the rest of the country don't have. When was the last time that an SR1 team pulled a truely high caliber applicant who wasn't already working in the region or had some sort of alumni/family connection with SR1?
    Why do you think that is? Is it due to not always having the same amount of schollies which hurts your chances on the national stage? is it your recruiting hot beds are not the same as D2's in other areas? I looked up what coaches in the MIAA make and what they make in the MEC. Your top paying schools pay what most MIAA coaches make, there is then a significant dropoff once you get to the smaller and private schools. Choice D a mix of all of the above?

I did look at the MEC recruiting thread and I forget the school now, but someone went into a 7 state area and got recruits. I think that is tremendous! When you look at the MIAA schools, and since I'm a Pitt guy I will take Pitt as an example. This year we got recruits from Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Florida, Texas, California, Illinois, Vermont, Minnestota, Alabama, and Maryland. 30 kids total, 20 seniors and 10 transfers. The tranfers account for the single players we got from Maryland, California (2), Alabama, Minnesota, and Vermont. My point being, if a school in southeastern Kansas can pull kids in from coast to coast teams in the MEC should be able to hit more states that are much closer in geography than what is in their backyards.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallst View Post

Why do you think that is? Is it due to not always having the same amount of schollies which hurts your chances on the national stage? is it your recruiting hot beds are not the same as D2's in other areas? I looked up what coaches in the MIAA make and what they make in the MEC. Your top paying schools pay what most MIAA coaches make, there is then a significant dropoff once you get to the smaller and private schools. Choice D a mix of all of the above?

I did look at the MEC recruiting thread and I forget the school now, but someone went into a 7 state area and got recruits. I think that is tremendous! When you look at the MIAA schools, and since I'm a Pitt guy I will take Pitt as an example. This year we got recruits from Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Florida, Texas, California, Illinois, Vermont, Minnestota, Alabama, and Maryland. 30 kids total, 20 seniors and 10 transfers. The tranfers account for the single players we got from Maryland, California (2), Alabama, Minnesota, and Vermont. My point being, if a school in southeastern Kansas can pull kids in from coast to coast teams in the MEC should be able to hit more states that are much closer in geography than what is in their backyards.
      Yes...To all. Many reasons that SR1 HC positions are not considered prime by HC candidates. Generally lower salaries, smaller operating budgets, fewer average schollys to work with and lack of success (read NC) on a national scale all feed into a general feel from top national level candidates that it's not a place you can come, be well compensated and be successful.

Recruting across multiple states is seen by a number of people, alumni and fans, as not really a desirable thing. Almost every year WLU (sadly...the school I root for) brings in players from FL, CA, OH, MD and WV (and quite a few others) but a number of fans complain that they need to bring in more from the Ohio Valley (WLU's local area). I think, generally, the MD, VA, OH, PA, WV area is a hot bed for talent. Problem is that there are just sooo many DII programs competing for the talent this 5 state area has to offer. There are 40 DII football programs spread across the area competing for the same "local" players. Add in DII's on the parifery of those 5 states that recruit the area and farer flung DII's that pick up onsies and twosies every year and it is little wonder local schools struggle to elevate themselves to national prominence.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
      Working...
      X