Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very sad news for U. of New Haven

The Minnesota Vikings have reported that offensive line coach Tony Sparano has died at the age of 56. The Vikings have stated that his death was "sudden", and Adam Schefter is reporting that he was in the hospital on Thursday due to chest pains, released Friday, and died this morning, possibly from a heart attack but the official cause of death is not known.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...no-dies-age-56

Coach Sparano was a New Haven native and a University of New Haven graduate, class of 1984. He was a member of the first championship-winning Chargers team, the 8-0-1 1979 team that won the Division 3 New England Football Conference. He came back as the Chargers' head coach in 1994, leading them to a 41-14-1 record and the greatest season in school history, the 12-2 1997 season which saw New Haven become the smallest school ever to play for the Division 2 National Championship. After the 1998 season, he got an offer he couldn't refuse-a chance to coach in the NFL with the Cleveland Browns and former New Haven head coach Chris Palmer. While mainly serving as an offensive line coach in his NFL career, he was also an NFL head coach with the Dolphins and the Raiders. His NFL record was 32-41, but he led the Dolphins to the 2008 NFL playoffs and helped introduce the "Wildcat" formation to the NFL.

His legacy at New Haven is quite strong - the football workout center is named for him, and three of his former assistants (Darren Rizzi, Peter Rossomando, and Chris Pincince) all served as assistants under Sparano and later as the Chargers' head coach. All three have winning records at New Haven and are still active coaches-Rizzi as an assistant with the Miami Dolphins, Rossomando as the head coach at Central Connecticut State, and Pincince at New Haven, where he is starting his fifth season as head coach.

On a personal note, he was the head coach during the years I attended New Haven, and being able to watch the 1997 team was a highlight of my senior year there. A team that started with low expectations took on all comers, even having a 2-1 record against Division 1 schools. While the season did end in a loss, the team is still the greatest New Haven team to take the field. Coach Sparano may be gone, but those memories certainly are not.
    Last edited by cwfenn; 09-18-2018, 03:42 PM.

Re: Very sad news for U. of New Haven

I had the pleasure of meeting Coach Sparano in November 1997 when Glenville played New Haven in the opening round of the playoffs. After that game I pulled for New Haven to win it all, because they were a class act. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Sparano family, and the New Haven faithful. Coach Sparano will be missed.

Comment

56 is way too young. I am sorry.

Comment

Thoughts and prayers to the Sparano family. I remember Sparano when he was a coach of the Dolphins and was the OC of my Jets. Very passionate guy. He will be missed

Comment

Originally posted by yellowjacketalum View Post
          Thoughts and prayers to the Sparano family. I remember Sparano when he was a coach of the Dolphins and was the OC of my Jets. Very passionate guy. He will be missed
          New Haven also lost a Hall of Famer Jim Ferguson on August 2nd, he was only 53. I used to watch him during my time there at UNH.

https://newhavenchargers.com/news/20...s-of-2013.aspx

Comment

Not only was the death of Tony Sparano very sad but UNH also is mourning the passing of Ex University President and ex US Congressman Lawrence DeNardis from a horribly fast acting cancer.

Larry was a personal friend of mine and I will miss our halftime political talks greatly. He was a man of great passion humility and intellect and will be sorely missed.

I hope UNH does a big event to honor both of these great men who gave so much to UNH and deserve the highest recognition.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
            Working...
            X