• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laker
    replied
    Re: LIU to become one program

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    There are FCS seating requirements? Whomever enforces those have obviously never been to the NEC stadiums.
    Georgetown's Cooper Field is listed at 2500.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    LOL ... Most draw worse than PSAC games.
    Yep. Bad geography - this region doesn't universally support college football plus there are some serious trips involved. At least in the PSAC at worst you're looking at a 6 hour trip with some tolls.

Leave a comment:

• CALUPA69
    replied

Originally posted by CWP '68 View Post
    I gotta say this comes as a complete surprise. I'm in the middle of my workday, so I don't have time to digest all of this. Will have more to say later.
    I know this will not thrill you but if the $$$ are there to make a first rate job of the conversion especially in FB, I can foresee some amazing rivalry games especially OOC vs STONY BROOK, FORDHAM, ALBANY and others. Good luck and drop by the D2 MB when the urge hits you.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    There are FCS seating requirements? Whomever enforces those have obviously never been to the NEC stadiums.
    LOL ... Most draw worse than PSAC games.

Leave a comment:

• Champ
    replied

Originally posted by CWP '68 View Post
    Football and 6 other sports will move to D1. Post and presumably Merrimack as well will join the NEC and play a full 12-game schedule. Men's and women's basketball will be played in Brooklyn. Any Post players who elect to join Brooklyn-based teams will be provided with transportation to and from practices/games. All teams will be referred to as "Long Island University," thereby further advancing LIU's decades-long effort to completely subsume the C.W. Post name. As a final touch, Post's traditional school colors of green and gold will be abandoned and new colors of light blue and gold (blue from LIU and gold from Post) will be adopted for all teams. All existing scholarships will be honored.
    The seating capacity of the stadium and ancillary facilities will be upgraded to meet FCS requirements. That will certainly involve a welcome replacement of the east (visitors) grandstand and an overall increase in seating capacity (maybe we'll finally get lights- just my opinion).
    I have to wonder if the NE10's abandonment of championship weekend had any impact on Post's decision. IMO, the decision to cut back to a 10-game schedule pretty much puts the damper on any chance of a second NE10 team to make the post-season playoffs. I think that, notwithstanding the impending departure of Post and Merrimack, the decision was very short-sighted, especially since the level of competition in the conference has shown so much improvement in recent years.
    Proud to be part of the green and gold's growth CWP68, sad that it won't be those colors anymore but pretty excited for the future of the program. In a few years Long Island might have a new big rivalry game every year. LIU Vs Stony Brook.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Leave a comment:

• CWP '68
    replied

Football and 6 other sports will move to D1. Post and presumably Merrimack as well will join the NEC and play a full 12-game schedule. Men's and women's basketball will be played in Brooklyn. Any Post players who elect to join Brooklyn-based teams will be provided with transportation to and from practices/games. All teams will be referred to as "Long Island University," thereby further advancing LIU's decades-long effort to completely subsume the C.W. Post name. As a final touch, Post's traditional school colors of green and gold will be abandoned and new colors of light blue and gold (blue from LIU and gold from Post) will be adopted for all teams. All existing scholarships will be honored.
    The seating capacity of the stadium and ancillary facilities will be upgraded to meet FCS requirements. That will certainly involve a welcome replacement of the east (visitors) grandstand and an overall increase in seating capacity (maybe we'll finally get lights- just my opinion).
    I have to wonder if the NE10's abandonment of championship weekend had any impact on Post's decision. IMO, the decision to cut back to a 10-game schedule pretty much puts the damper on any chance of a second NE10 team to make the post-season playoffs. I think that, notwithstanding the impending departure of Post and Merrimack, the decision was very short-sighted, especially since the level of competition in the conference has shown so much improvement in recent years.

Leave a comment:

• cwfenn
    replied

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
    When did Springfield drop from D2 to D3? I seem to recall them being in the old D2 NECC with Keene State, Franklin Pierce, Lowell, Southern Connecticut and New Haven in the early 1990s.
    From looking at their old football schedules, looks like they made the switch to D3 around 1995.

Interesting fact - From 1982-93 they played a home-and-home series with AIC each year.
    Last edited by cwfenn; 10-04-2018, 11:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• NE10Fan
    replied

Originally posted by Champ View Post
    From what Ive read online it looks like at least Football will stay at the Post campus with upgrades to the stadium. Then the other sports I don't know, LIU Brooklyn has a successful basketball program so that would stay there i'm sure.
    https://www.northeastconference.org/...i-program.aspx
    Last edited by NE10Fan; 10-03-2018, 02:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ctrabs74
    replied

When did Springfield drop from D2 to D3? I seem to recall them being in the old D2 NECC with Keene State, Franklin Pierce, Lowell, Southern Connecticut and New Haven in the early 1990s.

Leave a comment:

• cwfenn
    replied

Originally posted by yellowjacketalum View Post
    Im shocked. What will happen with scheduling next year? To have a full 10 game schedule teams will now have to schedule 2 OOC games. Going to miss the AIC/Post rivalry.

Leave a comment:

• Champ
    replied

From what Ive read online it looks like at least Football will stay at the Post campus with upgrades to the stadium. Then the other sports I don't know, LIU Brooklyn has a successful basketball program so that would stay there i'm sure.

Leave a comment:

• cwfenn
    replied

Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post
    So will football be played as FCS in the NEC?
    It probably would be. Looks like the plans are to build a new athletic complex with a football field. Not sure how much of the Post facilities will carry over to the new university.

Leave a comment:

• ESU Warrior
    replied

So will football be played as FCS in the NEC?

Leave a comment:

• Champ
    replied

This has some potential to be great, seems like Post losses recruits to near by NEC schools. Although competing to be one of the top teams in D2 was a great experience.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X