Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Haven Football!

I think there's no secret that New Haven is struggling with it's offense. The defense has been doing what it supposed to do and I have no problem with it at all, it's just the offense. By this time, even after the first two games of the season, we all know that there's a huge problem with quarterback situation and now I can say it, Menard is not the answer we are all looking for. After seven games, we are sitting at 4 wins and 3 losses, I know, I know I considered the Bentley's game is a lost, the quarterback issue is still not resolved. Personally and as an alum, I am very disappointed with this offense. I guess with all of the QBs that they have on the roster, this is the best that we could come up with, we are going nowhere and we will be lucky if we end the season at 5-5. What do you guys think?

I would add that the offense has become more conservative and predictable, really since Patterson graduated. Degenhardt was a really good QB, but too often it was dive play first down and dive play second down, then a pass on third down.

I'm all fine with running the ball, but I think the offense has become easier to defend and doesn't make adjustments. There have been a lot of second halves where the defense is out there far too much because the offense keeps going three and out.

The head coach is the offensive coordinator, so where's the offense? Don't get me started about the special teams either.

Comment

This offense is not just bad, it's the worst that I have seen ever since I started to follow New Haven football. I have never seen a quarterback as bad as Menard is, specially against better teams.

Comment

With the NEC losing two teams, does UNH have any interest in moving to D1?

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
          It's possible because they have been talking about the move to D1 for awhile now. The real question would be when is the right time for this to happen. To be honest, I rather for them to stay where they are at instead of go to the NEC.

Comment

Originally posted by UNH Chargers View Post
            This offense is not just bad, it's the worst that I have seen ever since I started to follow New Haven football. I have never seen a quarterback as bad as Menard is, specially against better teams.
            Menard is 32-84 for 367 yards with 4 TDs, 2 INTs and 2 sacks all against better teams so far. This is not just worst, it's horrible in my opionion.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
              NEC is losing two more teams? Do you know who?

I think it's going to be a while before New Haven looks at a move to D1. They have said multiple times that they will go D1, and they hired the AD from Kansas for that reason. Supposedly D1 conferences have already asked them to join, but I couldn't tell you who (guessing the NEC is number 1 on that list). But the AD is now the interim President since the university is in the process of hiring a new President, and the interim AD left to work in his home state of Minnesota. I don't see any move to D1 until those positions are set, and that's probably not going to be for at least a year from now, I would guess.

I have said a bunch of times that I think the NEC is a dead-end and would rather stay in the NE10 if the NEC is the only way to D1, but there's money in being a 16th seed in March Madness, right?
              Last edited by cwfenn; 10-25-2023, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Sacred Heart and Merrimack are leaving to join the MAAC. But the MAAC doesn't have football so I doubt if they are leaving the NEC in football.

Comment

Originally posted by New Haven Chargers View Post

Menard is 32-84 for 367 yards with 4 TDs, 2 INTs and 2 sacks all against better teams so far. This is not just worst, it's horrible in my opionion.
                  This is something that a lot of people are talking about all over the country at all levels, and it seems the portal has a lot to do with it. Players who do well now leave to try their luck at a higher level, and lower levels like D2 end up with the leftovers. If you don’t hit on those leftovers, then you’re looking at a QB who barely breaks 100 yards a game, if that. Covering the Texas teams, I’ve seen 3-4 schools who each week can’t get a QB to consistently break 100 passing yards, and they’re forced to run too much and the offenses struggle. One of those schools averages like 75 passing yards a game and they run a spread offense!

Come to think of it, that would be why New Haven’s play calling is what it is-you can’t really run a deep playbook with a bunch of new guys every year. Patterson was there 4 years and knew the offense as well as the coach, so they could do a lot more.
                  Last edited by cwfenn; 10-25-2023, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Here’s an article about LSC schools dealing with probably the same stuff New Haven is dealing with at QB:

https://www.texasfootball.com/articl..._preview_title

Comment

Originally posted by cwfenn View Post

This is something that a lot of people are talking about all over the country at all levels, and it seems the portal has a lot to do with it. Players who do well now leave to try their luck at a higher level, and lower levels like D2 end up with the leftovers. If you don’t hit on those leftovers, then you’re looking at a QB who barely breaks 100 yards a game, if that. Covering the Texas teams, I’ve seen 3-4 schools who each week can’t get a QB to consistently break 100 passing yards, and they’re forced to run too much and the offenses struggle. One of those schools averages like 75 passing yards a game and they run a spread offense!

Come to think of it, that would be why New Haven’s play calling is what it is-you can’t really run a deep playbook with a bunch of new guys every year. Patterson was there 4 years and knew the offense as well as the coach, so they could do a lot more.
                      I agree with what you are saying, however as a head-coach and an offensive coordinator, Princince has the ability to recruit and also decides who starts and who stays on reserve. I am not trying to say it's 100% on him, but if he sees something that is not correct on his team, fixes it.

Comment

Originally posted by BigCatcirca73 View Post
                        Sacred Heart and Merrimack are leaving to join the MAAC. But the MAAC doesn't have football so I doubt if they are leaving the NEC in football.
                        I just don't understand why these teams want to go to the NEC in the first place and then go to another conferrence. In my opinion, just stay in D2 instead of go to the NEC.

Comment

I really hope New Haven does make the jump to D1

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X