Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OT: MD puts Durkin back on sidelines

I heard that Butch Jones was interested in the job.

Comment

They did an investigation. They determined that the situation was not "toxic". Then they took a lot of crap for not firing him. So then they fired him. Maryland reminds me of Tennessee.

Comment

It is coming to light (and you have to read beyond ESPN) that the backup punter actually provoked the fight.

One of the players that wanted Durkin fired and walked out of a team meeting Durkin was at when he returned (Ellis McKennie) is even tweeting that the backup punter was running his mouth to other players at practice and provoked the fight. Tre Watson is another player that is saying that the backup punter is fabricating the story and that the backup punter instigated this. Watson is a big critic of Durkin's conduct.

Maryland deserves tons of criticism. But this story on the backup punter situation is junk.....this coming from McNair's biggest friends.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
          I heard that Butch Jones was interested in the job.
          I would think Mike Locksley would get the job if he wants it. I do believe Maryland will have a ton of problems walking into African-American living rooms and try to convince African-American players to come to Maryland and play for Maryland and a white coach. Just my opinion. Locksley is from the DC area. He is well known as an excellent recruiter. He knows tons of DMV coaches personally. You have to have someone who can earn local recruits' trust.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
            I had heard it was the President of UMD who resigned after he fired Durkin on Wednesday. Between UMD and Rutgers, I can't help but wonder if the B1G made a big mistake in bringing those two programs into the league.
            In football yes on Rutgers...qualified no on Maryland. UMD is certainly not at the top of the B1G, but not at the bottom either. Clearly better than Rutgers, Minnesota and Perdue, roughly "as good" as Illinois and MAYBE Indiana puts them in the middle of the B1G pack. Problem is they are stuck in the Eastern division with Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State and Michigan State. You've got to really good if you expect to compete against those cats every year! While Maryland WAS getting better, they still had a LOT of ground to cover to being able to play those 4 even close on a consistent basis.

From a basketball standpoint, I think Maryland makes the B1G better. Maryland also makes the B1G much better in other sports such as Lacrosse.

But from a $'s stand point, the B1G makes Maryland MUCH better...$50,000,000 in 2018 alone vs about $35,000,000 had they stayed in the ACC.

Follow the MONEY!!!!

Comment

I didn't have a problem with the BIG taking Maryland. I did and still do have a problem with taking Rutgers. There were other candidates that would have been better choices.

Comment

Originally posted by JDonAB92 View Post
                It is coming to light (and you have to read beyond ESPN) that the backup punter actually provoked the fight.

One of the players that wanted Durkin fired and walked out of a team meeting Durkin was at when he returned (Ellis McKennie) is even tweeting that the backup punter was running his mouth to other players at practice and provoked the fight. Tre Watson is another player that is saying that the backup punter is fabricating the story and that the backup punter instigated this. Watson is a big critic of Durkin's conduct.

Maryland deserves tons of criticism. But this story on the backup punter situation is junk.....this coming from McNair's biggest friends.
                McKennie and Watson were two of the three players that walked out on Durkin's team meeting and both have been very vocal in their desire to have him fired. Apparently the punter was in favor of Durkin staying. Words were exchanged and apparently Watson, McKennie and other unnamed players basically held the punters arms while one of the other players took a number of free shots to his face. Some of the pro Durkin players rushed to the punters defense and a general may lay ensued with pushing, grabbing and heated name calling. Not what you would expect from a team that was 100% behind managements decision and certainly not something that gives you hope that they will come together as a team any time soon.

Comment

No.

Wade Lees it the starting punter that got into a fight with the backup punter. The backup punter was a critic of Durkin. The player's tweets inlcuding Mckennie are in the following story:

https://247sports.com/college/maryla...ght-124095259/

Comment

Regardless of how it went down ... police don't get called to practice very often.

Comment

Originally posted by JDonAB92 View Post
                      I would think Mike Locksley would get the job if he wants it. I do believe Maryland will have a ton of problems walking into African-American living rooms and try to convince African-American players to come to Maryland and play for Maryland and a white coach. Just my opinion. Locksley is from the DC area. He is well known as an excellent recruiter. He knows tons of DMV coaches personally. You have to have someone who can earn local recruits' trust.
                      Not saying he won't be hired as nothing would surprise me about Maryland football right about now. But his performance as the interim HC at Maryland after Edsall got fired and his performance as the HC for New Mexico before that leaves a bit to be desired. 3-31 in all or part of four seasons as a HC isn't what I would call a glowing endorsement of his abilities. Some people are just better coordinators that HC's. I think Locksley fits into that category. But like I said...nothing would surprise me about Maryland football at this point in time!

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                        Not saying he won't be hired as nothing would surprise me about Maryland football right about now. But his performance as the interim HC at Maryland after Edsall got fired and his performance as the HC for New Mexico before that leaves a bit to be desired. 3-31 in all or part of four seasons as a HC isn't what I would call a glowing endorsement of his abilities. Some people are just better coordinators that HC's. I think Locksley fits into that category. But like I said...nothing would surprise me about Maryland football at this point in time!

He was a total train-wreck at New Mexico -- on and off the field.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                          He was a total train-wreck at New Mexico -- on and off the field.
                          Sadly, he might be the only option short of REALLY rolling the dice and taking a chance on someone like HC Mike Houston from James Madison or OC Sterlin Gilbert from USF.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X