Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd and Loooong

Anybody ever get the idea that maybe Bloomsburg just might try passing on first down for a change. It is really getting to be a drag to see Bloom "2nd and LOOOOng" sequence after sequence, when everybody sets their defense in anticipation of the Huskies far too frequently running on first down. Really now!! The tendency is overly obvious!

Looking at the drive and play-by-play stats, passing on first down was not successful. They passed 10 times on 1st down for 6 yards. Leiby was running for his life. They ran 17 times on first down for 74 yards, which averages about 4 yards a carry. If they were consistent, that's a good 1st down chunk. Penalties killed them and made for 2nd, 3rd and long.

Comment

Really! Having watched the game in person, I along with a number of others did not get that impression. Also a number of those 1st down passes I suspect were in the 4th quarter on the Huskies' last two possessions when passing on all downs was a must. The running on first down stat is interesting, but can also be deceiving as one or two defensive misplays, missed tackles, et al can result in a couple of long gainers thereby skewing the average yardage gained per rushing attempt. As for Leiby running "for his life", I have no recollection of Bloom running a screen pass all day to try and counter the pass rush. In fact, I have no recollection of Bloom running a screen pass all year, although I am sure they probably have. I do have a distinct recollection of a lot of second downs and long yesterday. I am not much into analytics, but your case is very well stated, Bart; but I still think Bloom's offense is less than imaginative at times. Thanks for the info!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueJay View Post
        Really! Having watched the game in person, I along with a number of others did not get that impression. Also a number of those 1st down passes I suspect were in the 4th quarter on the Huskies' last two possessions when passing on all downs was a must. The running on first down stat is interesting, but can also be deceiving as one or two defensive misplays, missed tackles, et al can result in a couple of long gainers thereby skewing the average yardage gained per rushing attempt. As for Leiby running "for his life", I have no recollection of Bloom running a screen pass all day to try and counter the pass rush. In fact, I have no recollection of Bloom running a screen pass all year, although I am sure they probably have. I do have a distinct recollection of a lot of second downs and long yesterday. I am not much into analytics, but your case is very well stated, Bart; but I still think Bloom's offense is less than imaginative at times. Thanks for the info!
        You are right on both counts. There was only 1 first down pass in the first half, and Bloom had the lead at half. Once they fell behind, they changed up, perhaps getting away from what got them the lead. Yes there were four long runs on first down that skewed the stats. When the qb is the leading rusher for Bloom with 73 yards, it probably means the OL is not getting it done. Most of his runs were not planned.

Comment

I just read through what you cited to me, and here is what I saw--and I might be off a play or two. 13 of the first down running plays resulted in gains of two yards or less and in some cases losses. There were five plays resulting in gains from 11 yards to 21 yards. In the future, I will be looking at the analysis before I open my mouth, but in this instance I think my impressions and those of some others at the game were pretty much on target. I agree with you about the QB's contribution to the rushing stats. In any case, I respect your insight and keen sense of observation. Thanks for your responses and steering me in the right direction. One last thing, I think that the OL perhaps not getting it done as well as they should, it might also be helpful to add a roll-out series to the passing game, which also seems to be missing in the Huskies' offense. Once again, there are no analytics here on my part, but I remember for the most part what I saw and did not see.

Comment

I have been wondering were the roll outs, sprint-draw offense is for the past fee years. The always had a qb who could throw on the run in the past. It was always a part of the offense to attack the line of scrimmage at the corners with the qb.

Injuries have hurt the team more than any year I remember.
            starting de out for the year
            1st and 2nd team rbs out for the year
            #3 wr out for the year
            starting ol out for the year
            starting safety out for the year
            back-up safety hurt in the WCU game

Comment

Yes injuries! Especially, when you have a limited amount of scholarships to entice talent that leads to depth.. Such is not the case with IUP, SRU, and Cal and some other PSAC West teams. But that is another topic. Am looking forward to wrestling season! We should see some more improvement.

Comment

Yes injuries! Especially, when you have a limited amount of scholarships to entice talent that leads to depth.. Such is not the case with IUP, SRU, and Cal and some other PSAC West teams. But that is another topic. Am looking forward to wrestling season! We should see some more improvement.
                As am I, Blue Jay. I see wrestlingreport.com may have seen its last post. It has been down for a couple weeks. I will probably go to themat.com and create an account.

Comment

Wrestling, I have my doubts. I do have expectations for men's and women's hoops.

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post
                    Wrestling, I have my doubts. I do have expectations for men's and women's hoops.
                    I was looking at the Bloom roster. They should show some improvement but not enough to compete in the MAC.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I was looking at the Bloom roster. They should show some improvement but not enough to compete in the MAC.
                      Did you see UPJ picked up two transfers from the now defunct Wheeling Jesuit program? Both were D2 national champions last year. That's a nice little add.

Don't follow wrestling but how does UPJ (D2) compare to the D1 programs in the PSAC?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Did you see UPJ picked up two transfers from the now defunct Wheeling Jesuit program? Both were D2 national champions last year. That's a nice little add.

Don't follow wrestling but how does UPJ (D2) compare to the D1 programs in the PSAC?
                        UPJ and Mercyhurst are two of the top D2 programs nationally. They can't compete on the same level as LHU, Clarion or Edinboro. This is why the D1 teams are no longer part of the PSAC tournament. Bloom's program has been struggling and a few of the D2 programs finished higher than the Huskies in recent PSAC tournaments. Kutztown, Gannon and Ship have good D2 programs, as well.

I did see something about those 2 transfers to UPJ.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

The roster isn't posted yet. You looked at what is coming back, not the new guys;

Comment

Wow! My wrestling comment was only incidental! I am still hoping for a few Husky wins this year, but I am sure we will not be playing SRU at home this year. That will be WCU's, Kutztowns"s or Shepherd's fate! Hope it is WCU so I can see the game, but I don't think WCU would be the winner this year! IMHO

Comment

Wow! My wrestling comment was only incidental! I am still hoping for a few Husky wins this year, but I am sure we will not be playing SRU at home this year. That will be WCU's, Kutztowns"s or Shepherd's fate! Hope it is WCU so I can see the game, but I don't think WCU would be the winner this year! IMHO
                              If it's Kutztown. Bloom gets to play Boro again for the season's final game.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X