Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Football 2020 ?!?!

Link below. I think this is a real interesting article. It references how COVID-19 might affect all NCAA football divisions. Also, interesting are comments from the big revenue schools about how it could affect all sports as a result of loss of revenue. Focuses on Michigan schools where there is a mixture of programs in all divisions.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...cid=spartanntp

It's scary to think what missing those 7-8 home dates would do to a place like State College, etc.

Hotels, bars, restaurants, book stores ... they make a ton of their yearly coin on those weekends.

It's hard to even imagine a Fall with no high school, college or pro football.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      It's scary to think what missing those 7-8 home dates would do to a place like State College, etc.

Hotels, bars, restaurants, book stores ... they make a ton of their yearly coin on those weekends.

It's hard to even imagine a Fall with no high school, college or pro football.
      They used to say that football revenue at PSU supported the rest of the athletics budget. I don't think it covers that today. I don't know where the money goes. It's a lot of money that people are counting on, though.

Comment

I saw on the news tonight that the NCAA is considering the possibility of moving the 2020 football season up to spring of 2021. Having a late season (might) save some college athletic departments from cutting sports from their budget. It won't bring in the revenue of a fall season, but it would definitely be better than none at all.
        Last edited by crixus; 04-06-2020, 01:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by crixus View Post
          I saw on the news tonight that the NCAA is considering the possibility of moving the 2020 football season up to spring of 2021. Having a late season (might) save some college athletic departments from cutting sports from their budget. It won't bring in the revenue of a fall season, but it would definitely be better than none at all.
          Curious on the revenue comment? Why not? Better weather. No NFL media competition. College football (D1) would slaughter MLB.

Question would be getting back on track. That's not much of a break before the following season would start right back up. If it goes in to June ... teams could only have about 60 days off before it starts up again for the fall.

Don't get me wrong ... it would be better than no season.

Comment

Curious on the revenue comment? Why not? Better weather. No NFL media competition. College football (D1) would slaughter MLB.

Question would be getting back on track. That's not much of a break before the following season would start right back up. If it goes in to June ... teams could only have about 60 days off before it starts up again for the fall.

I think NCAA football could overlap with MLB because the baseball stands don't fill up until school is out. I think college FB and BB would end up cannibalizing each other, though, e.g. people can only follow so much sports. I still think having FB in the spring would be better than none at all..

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

They used to say that football revenue at PSU supported the rest of the athletics budget. I don't think it covers that today. I don't know where the money goes. It's a lot of money that people are counting on, though.
              The misconception about collegiate athletics is that these schools are just swimming in profits. That's really not true. I wrote a paper about this for a persuasive essay I had to write in college for my English Composition requirement. The information that I learned was staggering. There's actually only 12-15 athletic departments each year that actually make a profit. It's the ones you would expect. The rest of them either break even or actually lose money simply fielding sports teams. We can disagree all we want, but the way of the future is going to be schools cutting certain programs.

At nearly 100% of college athletic programs, there's only two sports that actually make money. Football and Men's Basketball. Hockey and Baseball at a few schools, but not many. The money generated from the football and basketball programs actually allow the school to fund "Olympic Sports" and all of the things that lose money. That's why all of these ADs are saying if they're going to play a season it won't be without fans.

Comment

I think if, in a perfect world, gatherings could start occurring late summer/early fall, you'll see a shortened schedule. I think you'd see the NCAA potentially restructure the schedule and have teams cancel non-conference games and maybe start the season on Oct 1. I don't think they want to do spring football for numerous reasons. Consider that if you go that route, it's probably 2-3 years before you can theoretically safely get back on schedule for your season.

The scary thing of all this, when considering sports and just life in general, I'm not sure any of this stuff goes back to normal. We've been conditioned for generations to plan our lives around certain times of the year and associate major sporting events with those dates.

How many times has the Master's fallen on Easter Weekend? A bunch. There's talk of moving that to a late summer tournament for good. For decades, that was supposed to be the rite of spring. Starting always in Thanksgiving, you would start to see the commercials for Augusta National and be reminded of was waiting on the other side of winter.

The NBA is talking about becoming a Spring/summer league. I'm not an NBA fan, but that's a massive shift.

There's talk that the NHL is considering just now starting their season later every fall.

There are just so many things that are going to be permanently changed by this in the sports world in addition to our daily lives.

Moral of the story... If a few fan bases want to pack stadiums with 100,000+ people again in the near future, they better all be rooting hard for the Pitt to pull this upset.

Comment

Spring 2021 with MLB, NBA, NHL, XFL and NCAA football? I'm guessing they'd all take financial hit. But I personally think they'll be a shortened fall college football season. Just a gut feeling.

Comment

Spring 2021 with MLB, NBA, NHL, XFL and NCAA football? I'm guessing they'd all take financial hit. But I personally think they'll be a shortened fall college football season. Just a gut feeling.
                    The XFL would be totally irrelevant (if even still a thing).

I don't know ... sounds like sports heaven. D1 football would smash the NHL and MLB.

On that line, however, if D1 football isn't playing in the fall nor will the NFL.

Comment

The XFL would be totally irrelevant (if even still a thing).

I don't know ... sounds like sports heaven. D1 football would smash the NHL and MLB.

On that line, however, if D1 football isn't playing in the fall nor will the NFL.
                      I don't think the NFL is as dependent on attendance as major college football. I think the NFL could play without fans.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I don't think the NFL is as dependent on attendance as major college football. I think the NFL could play without fans.
                        Perhaps but if it's not safe enough for fans then it's not safe enough for the players. At least I'd assume.

Comment

I just now heard a Doctor with the World Health Organization say that a vaccine for Covid 19 is 12-18 months away. Hearing that makes me doubt they'll be any football (or other teams sports) in 2020.

Comment

I just now heard a Doctor with the World Health Organization say that a vaccine for Covid 19 is 12-18 months away. Hearing that makes me doubt they'll be any football (or other teams sports) in 2020.
                            You sound rational and clear headed thinking. Unfortunately we are talking about billionaires stuck on making whatever money they can make (despite no concession sales, parking money, souvenir/collectibles sold in the stadium stores) they know they'll make a killing from the TV deals alone. If MLB is able to do baseball in Arizona by mid July then no doubt the NFL will press forward with their no fans in the stadium vision. I have watched a few minutes of WWE without fans to see what the atmosphere is like and if its any indication of what the NFL would be like I'd rather not have a 2020 season.

Comment

As for college football I believe that the P5 schools could afford to pay for testing for all their players and seclude them to get the games played against other P5 schools but the G5 schools and lower level schools lack Booster financial support and the schools certainly don't have the cash to pay for 200+ test for players/coaches/staff as well as housing them separate from other students...

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X