Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer Portal

...Mainly asking about IUP. Over the decade, really 2 decades we lost ALOT of ground to Cal and the Rock specifically. I am from the error of D1 transfers. I give the Rock the most credit for good teams with more pure recruiting out of the three. I worry for IUP this new portal seems to give the opportunity for D1 transfers we may have gotten to stay D1. Maybe my understanding of the "portal" is off but does it not give them the chance to play the next season? or would they still have to sit out? I think it is if they are upper classmen but still different than a grad transfer. But again it seems like an easier tool for players/coaches to check each other out leaving less "fall through the cracks" transfers. Kind of like having coaches send film or kids marketing themselves via HUDL or youtube. possible more exposure.

Re: Transfer Portal

Different schools of thought, I suppose.

The power IUP teams of the 90s were flooded with high-profile, big school transfers.

Those teams were also flooded with off the field isses -- arrests, etc., which caused a lot of embarrassment to the university. Many more got buried before hitting the press.

I personally have beleived IUP transformed in to a basketball school over the past 10-15 years.

Take Cal for example. They were a men's basketball powerhouse in the 90s. Then Angelo took every dime he could find (from anywhere) and pumped it all into football. Then their men's basketball program then stunk for years.

IUP football has been pretty solid the past 15 years -- not great and certainly not what it was the previous 10-15 years.

The playing field is much more level now, too. Slippery Rock has equal football money. Their guys get scholarships, too.

When Cal was stealing English Department money for backup DTs, they were nearly fully funded. They were loaded with D1 rejects.

IUP is coming off a tremendously dissapointing season in so many regards. I think it has left a sour taste in many mouths.

Comment

I think the portal makes the D1 players more visible to other D1. Previous system was basically word of mouth with the player perhaps reaching out to a few schools he had the most interest in going to. With the portal, the staff at say Towson who might be in the market for a LB being able to see that a LB from Washington State is available and might be worth contacting. I think that will have a negative impact on DII's getting those guys.

Comment

With the Portal its effect trickling down to D2 is minimum. Before the portal best believe assistant coaches were using 3rd parties to guage the interest of players they felt would be transferring due to lack of PT or coaching changes. Now it's just open recruiting once a player puts his name in the portal no more 3rd parties involved. D2 will still get quality D1 transfers especially kids who burned a redshirt already an have no option but to drop down a level or burn a year of actual playing time. With most D2 games being available on ESPN3 they still get quality film for scouts to watch and many times they step right in at a D2 school and get immediate playing time if not a starting position. If anyone i think the graduate transfer rule hurts the JUCO kids more because many schools at the P5 level were using JUCO kids as 2 year gaps especially along the lines to fill in until the younger kids gained strength, knowledge, experience but with the graduate rule they can go get a 3 year starter at a FCS, G5 or another P5 school and plug him right into the 2 way depth chart immediately while the younger kids maintain their redshirt and grow for a season or two....

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
        Working...
        X