Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Old helmet decals

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    That's what they should have had in the years between Indians and Crimson Hawks. Or at least the Lou Tepper years. Those were definitely a red question mark.
    Back in the early 2000s, I actually bought an IUP shirt that had a bear head as their logo. I grew up not that far from Indiana, Pa., and found it in a store while at home. I bought it partly because I thought it was so odd -- I always knew IUP as the Indians and still have nightmares of being on the football field and hearing that war chant song (we didn't have much success against the Indians when I played) -- and partly because I didn't think it would last and would be neat to have.

But I can understand why IUP alums might not like the Bears (IDK if they ever actually used that as a nickname) or Crimson Hawks monikers. Shortly after I graduated, SRU started to make everything 'Rock Pride.' The athletic department even sent our press releases asking the teams be referred to as the 'Slippery Rock Pride.' Barf. Go back to the Rockets or stick with just The Rock, IMO. Fortunately, the school seems to have mostly shifted all of the 'Pride' BS back to the marching band and is calling the athletic teams The Rock.

And just for the record: I have never worn that IUP 'Bear' shirt and never will. But it's still in one of my storage bins haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Dozsa2 View Post
      Back in the early 2000s, I actually bought an IUP shirt that had a bear head as their logo. I grew up not that far from Indiana, Pa., and found it in a store while at home. I bought it partly because I thought it was so odd -- I always knew IUP as the Indians and still have nightmares of being on the football field and hearing that war chant song (we didn't have much success against the Indians when I played) -- and partly because I didn't think it would last and would be neat to have.

But I can understand why IUP alums might not like the Bears (IDK if they ever actually used that as a nickname) or Crimson Hawks monikers. Shortly after I graduated, SRU started to make everything 'Rock Pride.' The athletic department even sent our press releases asking the teams be referred to as the 'Slippery Rock Pride.' Barf. Go back to the Rockets or stick with just The Rock, IMO. Fortunately, the school seems to have mostly shifted all of the 'Pride' BS back to the marching band and is calling the athletic teams The Rock.

And just for the record: I have never worn that IUP 'Bear' shirt and never will. But it's still in one of my storage bins haha.
      The black bear thing is true. As you say it was in the early 2000s between the banishment of the Indians moniker and before the advent of the Crimson Hawks one----IUP became a university without a sports collective. They were just called IUP for a time. And interestingly and rather oddly they had a black bear as their mascot without making reference to it in any official capacity. I remember seeing him at the hoops games. The guy playing him did a great job and the kids all liked him. It was just a bit strange how it all was going on at that time. No one seemed to understand it at all. Hold on to your t-shirt---it may be worth money someday as a campus sports oddity.

-

Comment

Originally posted by Dozsa2 View Post

Slippery Rock The Rock just rolls off the tongue.

Comment

Don't knock The Rock

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
            The black bear thing is true. Hold on to your t-shirt---it may be worth money someday as a campus sports oddity.
            -
            I doubt there are many of those around although it does seem like something that would show up at a yard sale and you could buy for 50 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              Question: Is their mascot a rock?

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
                Question: Is their mascot a rock?
                No, it's a lion. But this edition of the lion fits the school more, IMO. The one we had near the end of my days in college was just odd. It was a lion that they tried to make look realistic. It actually just looked like something from a nightmare. Our current Rocky looks much better. I like him, but people like my dad and his old teammates refuse to buy any SRU gear that has the lion on it haha.

This is the Rocky I remember from going to SRU games as a kid.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                  I would rather see 'The Rock' on the football jerseys than 'The Pride'

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X