Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Screech Dead at 44

Sad news this evening for those of us who came of age watching NBC's late 1980s early 1990s Saturday morning hit sitcom Saved By The Bell. Actor Dustin Diamond who portrayed Samuel "Screech" Powers has passed away at the age of 44 after a brief battle with lung cancer. His fellow co-star Mark-Paul Gosselaar remembered him as a comedic genius which I think hits the nail on the head. He gave us all something very important as we slogged through life----the gift of laughter. He certainly brought a lot of joy to a lot of people. He will probably never be forgotten by the generation that grew up watching their show. I also hope that he has found a measure of peace that seemed to elude him for too much of his life after the show ended. Journey well!

May he rest in peace.

Comment

Screech and Steve Urkel both made it "cool" and "ok" to not be a jock and a popular kid in high school. The geek which they were referred to always somehow got the girl of their dreams at some point. God bless him resting in peace and pain free and his family during this rough time.

Comment

http://www.indianagazette.com
        www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

I think she actually grew up in the Strongstown area IIRC. But you are correct here. Screech did marry a local Indiana County girl who graduated from Penns Manor. I actually used to work with her mother back in the late 1980s.

Comment

I recall watching him beat up the smaller and older Horshack from Welcome Back Kotter in a celebrity boxing match. Now Jerry Lewis, there was a real nerdy actor.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
            Working...
            X