Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VSU Takeaways from ODU Win?

"The Blazers posses a firepower on both sides of the ball that other teams simply cannot match. From a talent standpoint alone the Blazers are a top-tier team in the nation. You add the proper game planing and coaching and VSU is the most dangerous program in Division II."

https://www.valdostadailytimes.com/s...d7dd42821.html

Comment

Lol, Yea HJ is something else.

My takeaway is, that I'm blown away by how smooth the transition in coaching has been, I'm hoping Coach Goff is able to reign in those penalties though. That's my personal measuring stick, it tells me that coach is paying attention to the details and coaching em up. For years we've had issues with penalties, so if the coaching staff were to effect change in this area while maintaining our winning ways, we could start talkin dynasty.

There I said it!

Comment

The penalties, in their own way, give the team another goal for Saturday. The players are always striving and wanting to get better,I guess, in search of that elusive perfect game. They know they left points on the field, but I admire them wanting to work hard and improve.

I am really beginning to like this team, not necessarily because of their skills and talent, which of course is great, but because of their attitude. I watch them on the sidelines at how they listen to the coaches and focus in on what is going on. Then on the field how that help one another. I mean when you've got receivers down the field blocking for the running backs, you've got a special group of players.

#BlazerNation

Comment

My takeaways were, this team is good and talent loaded and has the ability to be really good. To reach that really good to great status, gonna have to tidy up some things, mainly penalties. I definitely feel the ceiling is very high on this team, if it "gels".
          Go Blazers, Braves , Falcons, Hawks and Jackets!

Comment

I've scrolled through the play by play and looked at the penalties from the first two games. Frankly, I think this team is much more disciplined than many of our teams of the past (including the teams under Bell). We had 53 yards of penalties in the very first game of the season (when execution type penalties are typically rampant). I thought that was phenomenol and reflected well on players and coaches alike.

We've run 116 plays on offense and only had 2 holding penalties. That's pretty amazing (especially considering every blocker is taught to hold (discretely) and does on pretty much every play. We're coached well enough on it at it that we've only been flagged a couple of times for it (kudos to Coach Allgood)). We've also given up only 1 sack so far (though I think we'll see a stronger defensive front from UWA than we've seen in the first two games).

The penalties that typically concern me are the ones that reflect lack of discipline and self control (personal fouls, unsportsmanlike, etc). Those are team killers. We just haven't been having that type of penalty (we had a PF in the ASU game. I don't specifically remember it but it was on the same play as a facemask by ASU - don't know if our guy retaliated or what). Regardless, those types of penalties haven't been a problem.

BTW, I truly believe we've seen some of what I'd call "consolation penalties", when officials are a little quicker to call penalties on a team that's winning big in an unconscious attempt to help the team that's getting beat. I especially thought that in the ODU game.
            Last edited by Fan_the_Flame; 09-21-2019, 04:57 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
            Working...
            X