• Show
Clear All

• Argonut
    replied

Leave a comment:

• West Florida
    replied
    Originally posted by Fan_the_Flame View Post

Agreed. In our two games with UWF we beat them for 3 quarters and they beat us for 5 quarters (VSU owned the first half of first game (along with the end of the 4th quarter) and the 4th quarter in second game).

For entertainment I'd have liked to have seen Mankato play Ferris and UWF play Slippery Rock in the semi's.

I think the former would be a slobberknocker. Also would have been fun to watch Reed and Rivers shoot it out.

But regardless, congratulations to UWF. Great season (and particularly impressive run through the playoffs (in some ways reminds me of VSU NC in 2012, which was a whole lot of fun).
    Ferris State and Minn State were both way better than Slippery Rock. SR scored 15 points against MSM. Our D would have shut them down like we did against Ferris and our O probably would have put up 60 before calling off the dogs. We would have taken The Rock to pound town. That would have been a terrible match-up. The score would have been worse than 58-15, why would you want to watch that?

Leave a comment:

• West Florida
    replied
    Originally posted by Jay Lindsey View Post

One could argue, looking back, that UWF at VSU 2nd round game was the national championship game. I think a lot of people felt the winner of that game would go all the way. Call me crazy.
    That long memorable last drive in the West Florida/Valdosta State game, that included some 4th down situations, ended up being for all the marbles.

Leave a comment:

• Fan_the_Flame
    replied
    Originally posted by Jay Lindsey View Post

One could argue, looking back, that UWF at VSU 2nd round game was the national championship game. I think a lot of people felt the winner of that game would go all the way. Call me crazy.
    Agreed. In our two games with UWF we beat them for 3 quarters and they beat us for 5 quarters (VSU owned the first half of first game (along with the end of the 4th quarter) and the 4th quarter in second game).

For entertainment I'd have liked to have seen Mankato play Ferris and UWF play Slippery Rock in the semi's.

I think the former would be a slobberknocker. Also would have been fun to watch Reed and Rivers shoot it out.

But regardless, congratulations to UWF. Great season (and particularly impressive run through the playoffs (in some ways reminds me of VSU NC in 2012, which was a whole lot of fun).

Leave a comment:

• UWFMubbish
    replied
    Originally posted by UNALions View Post

I'm not trying to be a naysayer. I'm just saying that it hasnt happened in 17 seasons, so it's unlikely, especially if he didn't do it this year with the most experienced o-line and receivers in the country. It could happen, but probably not.

And, not trying to be rude, but almost everything you two UWF fans are saying was said by VSU fans last year. "Why would Bell leave, he loves it here?", "Wells will be the early favorite for the Harlon Hill", etc., etc.

Bell left, Wells was a finalist but didn't win, no title repeat, and so on. I've watched the GSC since '85 and covered it for the past five seasons until this year. It's just very difficult to dominate the conference enough to get the stats needed to truly compete for the Hill Trophy since greater parity arrived in the league.

All that said, I've lived in Pensacola for over 15 years and just thrilled college football is here and doing well. If UWF sucked, the locals would still be completely blinded by their FBS loyalties. Now, my wish is for a real marching band. Lol. #BandGeekAlert
    I understand what you're saying, but make sure you you understand what I said abut Reed and the HH. He'll receive "preseason consideration" and a host of caveats have to be in place for further consideration. I never said he'd be a favorite or winner, but his last performance against MSM in the championship game means he will be given preseason or very early season consideration, given a whole host of things that have to fall in place. Also, Bonner put up his numbers after the wild success of UNA and a Delta State natty, with up and coming VSU making noise in the conference and nationally. If it happened before, it could happen again. That's all I inferred.

I don't think I made any comments about Shinnick, but I hope he returns since UWF tends to hold on to their coaches, even after championships. Yes, football and the pay can be a different animal, but Bell's history as an HC is not the same as Shinnick's. We shall see,,,,

Leave a comment:

• Jay Lindsey
    replied
    Originally posted by Uwfalum98 View Post
    To be fair, VSU probably wins it all if UWF doesn't knock them off. I still think they were the best team the Argos played all year.

Leave a comment:

• Uwfalum98
    replied
    To be fair, VSU probably wins it all if UWF doesn't knock them off. I still think they were the best team the Argos played all year.

Leave a comment:

• Argonut
    replied
    To recap and update the Argo Storm Trooper legend.

14-3 Overall record in all whites.
    9-1 Playoff record- highest D2 win %.
    8-0 Playoff record on opposing team fields.
    4-0 Playoff record against #1 seeds.
    3-0 Playoff record against GSC and SAC teams.
    2-0 Playoff record in 30 degree temps.
    1-1 Playoff record in Natty.

All playoff records accomplished in only 2 playoff appearances and as underdog in every game!

Gooo Arrrgggooosss!!!

Leave a comment:

• West Florida
    replied

Have no clue what next year looks like for UWF, but Shinnick has some work to do.

You won't have Lehtio, Randolph or Grant at receiver (that's pretty significant - you average 280 a game and those three guys account for 180 of that. Losing them is pretty significant). You also lose 3 of your starters on the o-line (center and left side of the line).That's pretty significant as well.
    Oh, I agree. Nobody has more respect for these seniors than me. My subject for this thread was just referring to Reed coming back to UWF. Once the celebrating settles, West Florida has a ton of work to do. I haven't forgot the 2018 season. We started that year ranked #1. We didn't make the playoffs. You've got to earn it every year. I can't imagine a situation where we are as talented at WR next year as what we were this year.

Leave a comment:

• UNALions
    replied
    Originally posted by UWFMubbish View Post

My final comment was that Bonner put up ridiculous numbers, at that time, against GSC foes. So if it happened 17 years ago, it could happen again.
    I'm not trying to be a naysayer. I'm just saying that it hasnt happened in 17 seasons, so it's unlikely, especially if he didn't do it this year with the most experienced o-line and receivers in the country. It could happen, but probably not.

And, not trying to be rude, but almost everything you two UWF fans are saying was said by VSU fans last year. "Why would Bell leave, he loves it here?", "Wells will be the early favorite for the Harlon Hill", etc., etc.

Bell left, Wells was a finalist but didn't win, no title repeat, and so on. I've watched the GSC since '85 and covered it for the past five seasons until this year. It's just very difficult to dominate the conference enough to get the stats needed to truly compete for the Hill Trophy since greater parity arrived in the league.

All that said, I've lived in Pensacola for over 15 years and just thrilled college football is here and doing well. If UWF sucked, the locals would still be completely blinded by their FBS loyalties. Now, my wish is for a real marching band. Lol. #BandGeekAlert

Leave a comment:

• CalifOKRA
    replied

Have no clue what next year looks like for UWF, but Shinnick has some work to do.

You won't have Lehtio, Randolph or Grant at receiver (that's pretty significant - you average 280 a game and those three guys account for 180 of that. Losing them is pretty significant). You also lose 3 of your starters on the o-line (center and left side of the line).That's pretty significant as well.
    I wonder if Shinnick goes the JUCO route or if he has guys on the roster ready to fill those positions.

Leave a comment:

• Fan_the_Flame
    replied
    Originally posted by West Florida View Post
    We return Ashley and Coats at WR and all of our RBs. Hopefully, we can add some weapons like we did this year and hit the ground running.

Leave a comment:

• UWFMubbish
    replied
    Originally posted by UNALions View Post

Yes, 20 years ago. It's been 17 seasons since the GSC has had a Harlon Hill winner. Will Hall in 2003. The conference won five between 1994 and 2003. None since.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlon_Hill_Trophy
    My final comment was that Bonner put up ridiculous numbers, at that time, against GSC foes. So if it happened 17 years ago, it could happen again.

Leave a comment:

• UNALions
    replied
    Originally posted by UWFMubbish View Post
    You just hated on Rivers by saying he couldn't put up those ridiculous numbers on the GSC. But I do think that Reed will at least be in the conversation for preseason consideration, but sooo much is dependent upon team chemistry, success, and injuries. Remember, after we were runner-up in '17, Mike Beaudry missed all but six minutes of '18 with injuries. Also, didn't Dusty Bonner put up some insane numbers at Valdosta State?
    Yes, 20 years ago. It's been 17 seasons since the GSC has had a Harlon Hill winner. Will Hall in 2003. The conference won five between 1994 and 2003. None since.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlon_Hill_Trophy

Leave a comment:

• UWFMubbish
    replied
    You just hated on Rivers by saying he couldn't put up those ridiculous numbers on the GSC. But I do think that Reed will at least be in the conversation for preseason consideration, but sooo much is dependent upon team chemistry, success, and injuries. Remember, after we were runner-up in '17, Mike Beaudry missed all but six minutes of '18 with injuries. Also, didn't Dusty Bonner put up some insane numbers at Valdosta State?

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X