Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think FIT's exit likely tamps down any interest in South FL now.
    Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Never pass on a opportunity to toot your own horn. The state of Florida has been a talent rich state for the last 50 years. And almost every school that has a football program in Florida has had success at one time or another. But thanks for reminding everyone that WF is having success, for a minute there, I almost forgot.

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post

I think FIT's exit likely tamps down any interest in South FL now.

Comment

I hear that UWF's Coach Shinnick still has a lot of fans over at UNCP, and with their size and growth it seems to me that they would align well with a many GSC schools. Even though they are in an Associate Membership agreement with the MEC, I believe they would be a nice option for expansion.

Comment

I wouldn't imagine we would see another Florida D2 pop up for at least a few years given everything going on. I'm not wild about adding any of the schools mentioned. I think 8 teams is fine for conference football and I personally like playing out of conference games. I don't see a need to add more teams unless we somehow drop down to 7. I have heard many rumors about Valdosta shutting down their football program for good or making the move down to D3 and if they do then I think it could be time to add someone else.
            * 2022 BACK 2 BACK GSC CHAMPIONS and D2 FINAL 4
            * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS
            * 2019 D2 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
            * 2017 D2 NATIONAL RUNNER-UP

Comment

Originally posted by West Florida View Post
              I wouldn't imagine we would see another Florida D2 pop up for at least a few years given everything going on. I'm not wild about adding any of the schools mentioned. I think 8 teams is fine for conference football and I personally like playing out of conference games. I don't see a need to add more teams unless we somehow drop down to 7. I have heard many rumors about Valdosta shutting down their football program for good or making the move down to D3 and if they do then I think it could be time to add someone else.
              Many rumors? Lol.

I won't say what kind of rumors I'm hearing about UWF.
              Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Many rumors? Lol.

I won't say what kind of rumors I'm hearing about UWF.
                Slow sports summer. Gotta have some fun with our little brother to keep things interesting.
                * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS

Comment

Slow sports summer. Gotta have some fun with our little brother to keep things interesting.
                  Little brother. LMAO. I'm glad you're joking.

But, on a serious note, I did hear a rumor about UWF but it was pre-COVID. They were mentioned as being on a list of potential schools to join a new FCS southern football conference that included UNA, Kennesaw State, Jacksonville State, etc. They were the only D2 school mentioned on the list.

Doubt any of that happens now, though.
                  Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Little brother. LMAO. I'm glad you're joking.

But, on a serious note, I did hear a rumor about UWF but it was pre-COVID. They were mentioned as being on a list of potential schools to join a new FCS southern football conference that included UNA, Kennesaw State, Jacksonville State, etc. They were the only D2 school mentioned on the list.

Doubt any of that happens now, though.
                    I wouldn't be for it (not that anyone asks me)
                    I love the Gulf South and in my opinion, it would be a giant mistake to mess up the perfect fit for the school as a D2.
                    Ask me in 5 or 10 years perhaps I'll have a different opinion, I don't know. I also don't think anyone that does make decisions at UWF wants to move up any time soon. I only know that from talking to some of those people in parking lots before games, but that still counts for something. They really seem to love where UWF is currently and are in no hurry at all to change that.
                    * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS

Comment

The rumors of UWF going D1 have been around since I was there in the 90's, I believe the rumor was that we were going to join the ASUN at that time. It always seemed as if the pressure for UWF to move up was coming from outside influences, I cannot remember people in the athletic department at UWF ever mentioning a transition to D1. In 2009 when the Football feasibility study was done there were alot of rumors about UWF going D1 as UWF is the only public university in Florida that is not D1. What people on the outside failed to realize was that the study was done to either add Football and stay D2 or make the transition to D1 without football. Sure that could all change down the road, but personally I'm on the D2 bandwagon and probably always will be.

Comment

The rumor was that UWF was being approached about the potential new conference not the other way around.

But, I'm sure COVID has halted all of that anyway.

I was furious when UNA started talking about D1 and saddened when they finally made it official. But, I really enjoy them playing in the ASUN and football being in the Big South.

Of course, I do miss the GSC, too. My only excitement about the rumor I shared was that I would get to see UNA visiting Pensacola again for games in all sports. I really miss that!
                        Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Pensacola was voted the #1 city in the world in a poll taken and voted on by me.
                          * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS

Comment

Expansion isn't likely. Realignment and/or scheduling alliances are probable at least for the short term. The economic impact of the virus and Title IX may force schools to drop programs.

In fact, entire institutions may close if they don't have online programs to see them through until they can get students back on campus.

Comment

Pensacola was voted the #1 city in the world in a poll taken and voted on by me.
                              LOL, it is a nice city.

If there was snook to fish for, I would defiantly think about moving up there from Clearwater/Tampa area.
                              Too many dam people down here and traffic sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by GOX1 View Post

LOL, it is a nice city.

If there was snook to fish for, I would defiantly think about moving up there from Clearwater/Tampa area.
                                Too many dam people down here and traffic sucks.
                                Clearwater is awesome as well. Years ago I lived in Redington Shores and loved it there. Rays tickets were cheap and going up to Pier 60 was always fun. Great beaches. The downside would be traffic and crowds, but beautiful places usually draw big crowds.
                                * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X