Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would be surprised if the GSC expanded, unless there was a too good to pass up offer from somewhere. I know the SAC is expanding to 14 and will have 11 football members, which means only finding 1 OOC game each year compared to 3.

Comment

From a gsc perspective the interesting thing would be if have split because Oklahoma schools forced into one conference. If that happens garuntee there is a run on Delta and Mississippi college to get football number up and union Lee and cbu for other sports .

And I think delta would strongly consider joining an ark only GAC

Comment

Originally posted by the Northeasterner View Post
        From a gsc perspective the interesting thing would be if have split because Oklahoma schools forced into one conference. If that happens garuntee there is a run on Delta and Mississippi college to get football number up and union Lee and cbu for other sports .

The Arkies should have never left the GSC. They made their own bed.
        Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

I have a hard time seeing DSU and MC leaving the GSC, although it makes sense for the ARK schools to send them an invite if they split from the GAC/OK schools. Right now maybe isn't the right time, but if there was expansion in play for the GSC, where would the schools come from -- D3 and NAIA schools making the jump to D2? LA has no D2 football, and FL has some smaller schools firmly wedded to NAIA....

Comment

Please elaborate on the OK schools being "forced" into a single conference. Is this something that is under way? If so, who is forcing them, and what is the mechanism for doing so?

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Observer View Post
              Please elaborate on the OK schools being "forced" into a single conference. Is this something that is under way? If so, who is forcing them, and what is the mechanism for doing so?
              There are some who still fantasize about bringing back the old OIC. Create an all-Oklahoma D2 conference. They refer to an column written four years ago; https://oklahoman.com/article/551423...ur-conferences.

Comment

It has come up and covid 19 is keeping it active. It's not a big push but it's there.

I actually think the GAC move for the ark schools was a great move. It hasn't been for ok schools but it was better than staying lsc. In the beginning there was talk with dsu and cbu about joining .(according to some insiders I know). But the distance to ok schools didn't make it a good move. But ark only would be financially a windfall .

The GSC would have to move east fast.

I hope it doesn't happen.

???

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post

There are some who still fantasize about bringing back the old OIC. Create an all-Oklahoma D2 conference. They refer to an column written four years ago; https://oklahoman.com/article/551423...ur-conferences.
                  Yeah, I personally miss UCO playing the rest of the state schools but I don't thing Trammel's article has any merits. He is just an old school guy who wants things to go back to the way they were. He wrote an article a few months ago that suggested FBS G5 schools realign geographically.
                  Go Bronchos!

Comment

It has come up and covid 19 is keeping it active. It's not a big push but it's there.

I actually think the GAC move for the ark schools was a great move. It hasn't been for ok schools but it was better than staying lsc. In the beginning there was talk with dsu and cbu about joining .(according to some insiders I know). But the distance to ok schools didn't make it a good move. But ark only would be financially a windfall .

The GSC would have to move east fast.

I hope it doesn't happen.

???
                    Originally posted by UCObluejay View Post

Yeah, I personally miss UCO playing the rest of the state schools but I don't thing Trammel's article has any merits. He is just an old school guy who wants things to go back to the way they were. He wrote an article a few months ago that suggested FBS G5 schools realign geographically.
                    We're talking message board fodder and wishful thinking than any sort of reality. That's what I presumed when the word "forced" was used. It's not like these institutions can be forced to do anything by anyone other than state legislatures and university systems.

Comment

Originally posted by UCObluejay View Post
                      Two main things come to my mind about that idea. Who is going to pay the exit fees for the now 11 schools; and can the state really force a private school to do this. The article has been talked about many times on different boards and it just has too many holes to be a real plan.

Comment

Two main things come to my mind about that idea. Who is going to pay the exit fees for the now 11 schools; and can the state really force a private school to do this. The article has been talked about many times on different boards and it just has too many holes to be a real plan.
                        That is my point. I don't think it is realistic. The OIC was primarily a football conference until the 90s. OBU and SNU were members of the Sooner Athletic Conference. Starting in the 1970s Central State and Cameron were Independents until joining the Lone Star.

Realistically the GAC West is the old OIC but instead of Langston, and Northeastern State it is SNU and OBU.
                        Go Bronchos!

Comment

There is one factor that does come in account on this line. Uco nsu, swosu, se ok,East Central , nwosu Are all under one board of regents. It is how they have avoided being under ou or OSU influence. But if that board says so or is ordered by legislature, it's a done deal.

Normally wouldn't happen but under extreme financial stress (like the oil bust in '14 or covid) it is a possibility. Not immediately but in next 12 months as recovery starts.

But I do apologize for hijacking a thread in completely wrong board.

Comment

Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X