Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carson-Newman

You said something similar to this last year I believe, and I didnt want to agree with you. I still dont, but man I hope you're wrong.

Comment

Comment

I watched the video of the game that is on the sac site. Simple answer why we lost was we could not run the ball against wingate. They jam up all the holes with big body guys and they have fast linebackers. Dives did not get hardly anything. So Derrick went to the pass and it worked early in the first half but there safetys started double coverage and there big linemens put the pressure on him. He went down hard on a sack and twisted his knee or ankel and Thackorson came in and couldn't throw either so it was over by then. I think we will get better because of this game. Players and coaches learn from experince.

Comment

As much as they struggled to run the ball against Wingate, Carson-Newman still could have and probably should have won. They fumbled four times in the first half, and lost three of them. Two of those lost fumbles were inside their own 15 yard line. Wingate played a heck of a game and they played with more poise and more heart.They didn't even have their best running back, and the top receiver was out of the game before halftime. The Bulldogs earned the win but Carson-Newman should feel like they gave that game away. Wingate's first three scoring drives advanced a total of 28 yards, thanks to fumbles and poor kickoff coverage. That was 13 points that were basically gifted to Wingate. Its unfortunate that Evans got injured in the fourth quarter because their chances on the lost two drives would have gone up substantially, but who knows. Eagles had only 55 yards of offense in the second half.

I understand the frustration from the fans and alumni. If they play a better team a lose, that's part of sports, but this is a very experienced football team and they should not be losing games because of sloppiness.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Fernandez View Post
            I watched the video of the game that is on the sac site. Simple answer why we lost was we could not run the ball against wingate. They jam up all the holes with big body guys and they have fast linebackers. Dives did not get hardly anything. So Derrick went to the pass and it worked early in the first half but there safetys started double coverage and there big linemens put the pressure on him. He went down hard on a sack and twisted his knee or ankel and Thackorson came in and couldn't throw either so it was over by then. I think we will get better because of this game. Players and coaches learn from experince.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Bitner View Post
              As much as they struggled to run the ball against Wingate, Carson-Newman still could have and probably should have won. They fumbled four times in the first half, and lost three of them. Two of those lost fumbles were inside their own 15 yard line. Wingate played a heck of a game and they played with more poise and more heart.They didn't even have their best running back, and the top receiver was out of the game before halftime. The Bulldogs earned the win but Carson-Newman should feel like they gave that game away. Wingate's first three scoring drives advanced a total of 28 yards, thanks to fumbles and poor kickoff coverage. That was 13 points that were basically gifted to Wingate. Its unfortunate that Evans got injured in the fourth quarter because their chances on the lost two drives would have gone up substantially, but who knows. Eagles had only 55 yards of offense in the second half.

I understand the frustration from the fans and alumni. If they play a better team a lose, that's part of sports, but this is a very experienced football team and they should not be losing games because of sloppiness.

Comment

Look on the bright side CNCEagle97, at least CN isn't in the midst of a 15 game losing streak

Comment

And Chuck is right. CN should have won this game. For God's sake how many times are we practicing ball security a week?

Also, I dont care who teams are missing or whatever, you play and win or lose with whose available.

Bottom line is the offensive line has to get better. It starts with them. defense has talent, but when offense cant stay on the field it wears em down. No reason for a group this expierenced to make the mistakes they constantly seem to.

There were some high notes as well. Braxton Westfield is a difference maker if you can get him the ball. Hes a transfer from James Madison and is a tremendous young man.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Bitner View Post

Being on the other side, I don't think CN should have won. They had no heart in the game in the second half. They injured our best player with no targeting call and one of the CN players spit on him as he was laying on the ground in pain. Besides the emotional parts... they called a terrible illegal man downfield on the right tackle who was 1 yard deep and the ref literally looked around and dropped the flag like no one would notice (film doesn't lie ump). He didn't see the ball was thrown when Wingate's receivers were running downfield to celebrate an already completed TD. That was 7 off the board in the first half. They also missed an easy PI on Brooks in the second half when they jumped offsides. The corner tackled Jalen well before the ball was near him. They missed a facemask on Washington on his pick and called him down at the 1 when he clearly never left the end zone. CN's DB's were clearly inferior and were holding the entire game, but apparently the refs only see what they want to see. Wingate OUTPLAYED CN even when their best players were down and the refs didn't seem to call anything but obvious penalties (and even misssed some of those)

Comment

I debated all night as to countering Mr. Bitner's article and subsequent wqriting which I thought was off kilter. Let me preface by saying I was not at the game situated as I am far to the north. I did watch the video, twice in fact. Though I am of the 2004 vintage of Wingateism I still follow WU Football with a somewhat reserved dedication. I am, therefore, somewhat biased but being a man of the cloth I temper my opinion and prejudices with reason and much thought.

Truisms
                      1. Carson Newman made many mistakes
                      2. Carson Newman's o line performed VERY poorly, especially in the 4th quarter
                      3. Wingate's defense stopped the option COLD
                      4. Wingate's o line blocked very well as evidenced by the success of the running game
                      5. Wingate's special teams were outstanding
                      6. Carson Newman did NOT deserve to win

Mr Bitner, perhaps your post here was intended as a "feel good" post to the CN faithful who were bemoaning their loss. If you honestly thought CN deserved to win then you saw a completely different game than the video or the STATS showed.

Comment

I did not say that Carson-Newman deserved to win. They definitely did not. They were sloppy and they didn't want it as much as Wingate. I said that despite that, they still could have won. It was a one score game and they had the ball in the final minute. My use of the term should have refers to the sloppy turnovers. They gave away possessions and points which is totally inexcusable for the experience that they have on that roster. I'm not trying to help CN fans feel good. They shouldn't feel good because the team is under achieving.

FWIW, My comments were focused on Carson-Newman's performance the thread is about Carson-Newman. I'll have plenty to say about Wingate's performance in the weekly column.

Glad to see some Wingate representation on the message board. There isn't enough of it .

Comment

Couple thoughts

1. I dont think Chuck ever meant to say CN deserved to win, and I didnt draw that conclusion. Could they have won? Yes. Should they have? Not with turning it over 3 times and making it easy for the Dogs. Wingate took what was given to them and like any good football team, made something of it. CN is too expierenced and talented to make mental mistakes like that. Like I said before, I wonder how much time is spent on ball security. Like our other CN friends, I feel like I speak for them when I say we are tired of mediocrity from the Eagles on the football field. Going 7-4 or 8-3 every year should not be acceptable at Mossy Creek

2. I too am glad for the Wingate representation on the board. When I first started on the board back in the day, some of the most insightful folks on the SAC board. they all kind of disappeared, but it's good to have you all on the board. When the Bulldogs come to the Creek next year, I'd love to meet up and have dinner with some of you if you come this way. Same goes for Chuck, or any other fans on the board. Heck even if you need a place to stay we can provide that as well.

3. Crap I forgot what my third thought was. I'm too young for that to happen.

Comment

I may win the longevity award among the Bulldog fans. I haven't posted very often during the past 2 years but I am still a rabid ONEDOG fan. As Canadarican said we had quite an active group in the early 2000s, mainly Carson Newman, Catawba and Wingate fans. it was a lot of fun. We shared a love for SAC football as well as our particular institution's football program. We "jabbed" at each other but it was never mean. "Scooby Do", "Maddog" and I met several of the CN fans at one of the games in Wingate and we had a good time laughing and "trash talking". I'm glad to see my friend and favorite poster CatUFan has returned. I've missed his insightful and intelligent posts.

I believe I first joined this site in 2004. I know there have been several "rebuilds" of the forum. I know I was on in 2004-2005 when I had my Wingate Football blog.
                            Last edited by WU Fan; 09-25-2019, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WU Fan View Post
                              I may win the longevity award among the Bulldog fans. I haven't posted very often during the past 2 years but I am still a rabid ONEDOG fan. As Canadarican said we had quite an active group in the early 2000s, mainly Carson Newman, Catawba and Wingate fans. it was a lot of fun. We shared a love for SAC football as well as our particular institution's football program. We "jabbed" at each other but it was never mean. "Scooby Do", "Maddog" and I met several of the CN fans at one of the games in Wingate and we had a good time laughing and "trash talking". I'm glad to see my friend and favorite poster CatUFan has returned. I've missed his insightful and intelligent posts.

I believe I first joined this site in 2004. I know there have been several "rebuilds" of the forum. I know I was on in 2004-2005 when I had my Wingate Football blog.
                              WU fan was one of the originals when I joined and one of the people from wingate I enjoyed reading the most. CatUFan is a legend on here as well like you said.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X