Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Non State supported Division two championship.

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non State supported Division two championship.

How many teams are there in Division two that are not State supported. Should we have a separate national championship for these universities?

No

Comment

I don't know about all the other conferences, but in the SAC, I think UVa-Wise is the only one that is state supported; the rest are private.

Comment

Since the D2 tournament started, in about 1974, I believe two non state supported schools have won the National Championship and one of them lost it because of recruiting violations. Many teams that have won many national championships have moved up to D1, including Troy, North Dakota State, North Alabama and others. Perhaps, more teams that have won many National Championships will consider that. Perhaps not. ???

Comment

University of Virginia, Wise is the only state supported school in the SAC. It is similar in enrollment with several SAC schools. Glad they joined the conference.

Comment

An undergraduate enrollment based division of D2 schools might be considered. Perhaps 5,000 (just a number without analysis) and above would have a Championship, while 4,999 and below would have a Championship. But some schools would be on the bubble and might choose which to compete in. But this might wreck a few conferences. A school with an enrollment of 12,000 would be expected to have a more powerful team than a school with an enrollment of 2,000. It would not be easy to do, but everything worth doing is hard. Just thinking.

Comment

My no answer is to the idea of splitting championships. I get what your saying, but I dont like the idea of split based on enrollment and other factors.

Comment

The quantity of schools in D2 are what gives us some clout with the NCAA, to break it down even further could cause more harm than good, but there is definitely something to your point in that at the end of the day all sports should be about fair play.

Comment

This isn't just a D2 thing, for some decades now FBS, FCS, and D2 have continuously had Public schools winning the respective championships.

In FBS USC was the last private school to win a championship which was 04 (later vacated). For FCS the private schools in the CAA (Richmond and Nova) had a good run in 08 and 09, but then you have to go back to the 80's when Furman won.

Comment

So my question now is what would be the top twenty five ranked teams in Division two non state supported?

Comment

In 2004, there was a proposed split of Division II Football into two scholarship levels. It failed miserably.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearhof View Post
                        So my question now is what would be the top twenty five ranked teams in Division two non state supported?
                        Six this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                          In 2004, there was a proposed split of Division II Football into two scholarship levels. It failed miserably.
                          Exactly.

Comment

I like the way it is for the most part

Comment

Plain and simple, be D2, or drop to D3.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X