Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limestone's Future

The school has a press conference scheduled for Friday. My guess is that it has to do with the Saints joining the SAC for all sports. Stay tuned.

Re: Limestone's Future

This is on the Limestone main website:

https://www.limestone.edu/news/histo...coming-april-5

Comment

Originally posted by RedFromMI View Post
      This is on the Limestone main website:

https://www.limestone.edu/news/histo...coming-april-5
      Saints athletics moving to the SAC would indeed be a great move for all of the programs sponsored at LC. Up to now it seems they have been content with remaining in Conference Carolinas with football participating in the SAC. With Barton (I believe they announced a scheduling alliance with the SAC) and Erskine also adding football Conference Carolinas (LC, NGU, Chowan already have football) could actually sponsor football if they brought in UNCP for football only. I don't know how viable that scenario is for those involved but it does potentially have some merit. Nonetheless, at this point, I imagine that the announcement could pertain to almost anything athletics related. Their website also shows a financial campaign regarding upgrades to current facilities (and the building of new facilities) of which football was only mentioned regarding a new field house (which will also house M/W lacrosse, M/W soccer, field hockey, baseball and softball). It will be interesting to see what the announcement is actually about.

https://www.limestone.edu/alumni/cap...aign/athletics
      Last edited by FormerCrusader#84; 04-03-2019, 12:06 PM. Reason: edits

Comment

Comment

I would be totally shocked if the presser is about anything other than full SAC membership, but I've been known to be wrong before...just ask my wife

Comment

Originally posted by FormerCrusader#84 View Post
            Saints athletics moving to the SAC would indeed be a great move for all of the programs sponsored at LC. Up to now it seems they have been content with remaining in Conference Carolinas with football participating in the SAC. With Barton (I believe they announced a scheduling alliance with the SAC) and Erskine also adding football Conference Carolinas (LC, NGU, Chowan already have football) could actually sponsor football if they brought in UNCP for football only. I don't know how viable that scenario is for those involved but it does potentially have some merit. Nonetheless, at this point, I imagine that the announcement could pertain to almost anything athletics related. Their website also shows a financial campaign regarding upgrades to current facilities (and the building of new facilities) of which football was only mentioned regarding a new field house (which will also house M/W lacrosse, M/W soccer, field hockey, baseball and softball). It will be interesting to see what the announcement is actually about.

https://www.limestone.edu/alumni/cap...aign/athletics
            That field house has been open for a few years now...and the college is in the process of several upgrades from a 4M+ gift from Jerry Richardson (former owner of the Charlotte Panthers) to the athletic field areas, including permanent stands/pressbox for soccer/lax/field hockey (done), new video board for that field (not yet), lots of walkways (mostly done), and several other items. The capital campaign stuff you are referring to is actually quite old - and that sort of stuff does not always get updated very fast on the athletic website.

Comment

Originally posted by RedFromMI View Post
              That field house has been open for a few years now...and the college is in the process of several upgrades from a 4M+ gift from Jerry Richardson (former owner of the Charlotte Panthers) to the athletic field areas, including permanent stands/pressbox for soccer/lax/field hockey (done), new video board for that field (not yet), lots of walkways (mostly done), and several other items. The capital campaign stuff you are referring to is actually quite old - and that sort of stuff does not always get updated very fast on the athletic website.
              Red,

Thank you for the update on the particulars. I stand corrected.

Comment

Congrats to Limestone and the SAC. The euphoria over this union is making this the poorest kept secret since the reopening of the Angus Barn. This is a great fit and should make both Limestone and the SAC much stronger.

Comment

Comment

Official Press Release:

https://www.thesac.com/general/2018-...20190404n24t4v

Based on Britz's comments sounds like there will be further expansion (from press conference, not in release)

Comment

Overall, Limestone is a pretty good addition to the SAC. Of the football participating members of the SAC, Limestone's academic requirements are higher than all other SAC schools, other than Lenior Rhyne. So this in it self slightly raises the conference's academic average.

Now, as far as football goes, in Limestone's four years since adding the sport, they have never fielded a winning season, going 0-10 last year. So, I would like to see the school become more stabilized with their coaching, and become more competitive at the Division 2 level, because realistically, I don't think the SAC needs another Brevard type situation. With that being said, football wise, Limestone brings help and stability with scheduling to the SAC (and adds another potential and consistent 'in region' win), but as it stands now, they really don't add any elevation at all to the conference's power rating as compared to other D2 conferences.

I wish them luck, and I hope this move helps the school's football program in many ways.

Comment

This is a really good thing for Limestone and the rest of the SAC and it should be a pretty seamless transition. As a football fan, I'm really happy that it solidifies their future as a full member of football conference. I think that is important for them. This move probably also means that football is not in the near future for Conference Carolinas, which is something that a few of us had been wondering.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X