Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catawba's season--definite progress but troublesome ending

So I'm a Catawba fan and after everything is said and done this season it feels like things are headed in the right direction. Nice to put up some wins and see some great performances and be competitive in tough losses (thinking of Newberry in particular). Sucks that we didn't get the chance to play Wingate because I feel like we could have given them a tough time and same for losing the Limestone game but the rules are the rules. I don't know what happened in particular with those COVID games but seems like we certainly didn't do a good job with precautions on some level to lose them.

That being said it's a young team overall but I'll be curious to see if the QB comes back (supposed to have a lot of eligibility left) and how the younger guys develop. The slide at the end of the year is pretty concerning though. Almost gave the game away vs Tusculum and you would have hoped that would have been motivation to play better/finish games and then they came out and got absolutely dominated by UVa Wise. The score isn't truly indicative of how bad that was. I didn't get to see the LR game but I had hoped we'd put up more of a fight there but was not to be. I hope that things are okay and they get back to building on some of the success from this season in the spring.

Anyways, just random thoughts as I'm waiting on some stuff at work. Feeling very optimistic for next season. Good luck in the playoffs LR & Newberry!
    Last edited by Son of Zardoz; 11-17-2021, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Yeah, from what I had read they paid off all of their debt with it if I remember correctly.

Wondering how long it is going to take to find a new AD. I have heard a certain former football coach was interested and I hope he gets it if that's the case.

Comment

All there debts would have been less than thirty million

Comment

I was told an initial gift of 13 million from an anonymous donor was to take care of all the colleges debt, and then the additional 200 mill from an anonymous donor (idk if same party or not) was endowment. Great news for the university and our SAC brethren.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by canadarican View Post
              I was told an initial gift of 13 million from an anonymous donor was to take care of all the colleges debt, and then the additional 200 mill from an anonymous donor (idk if same party or not) was endowment. Great news for the university and our SAC brethren.

Comment

Agree with hoping they can increase scholarships but I honestly don't want them to become a university. They sent a questionnaire a few years ago that made it sound like they were thinking of changing the mascot/logo (I think this was around the same time they introduced the terrible new wordmark for athletics) and one question did ask for input on a potential name change to Catawba University but had the strangest reason. It said it would be to eliminate confusion between Catawba College and Catawba Valley Community College. So strange, and if you ask me, stupid reason for a change.

To me, universities are larger institutions and it just doesn't sound/feel right for Catawba. It is a beautiful campus but tiny (not saying that's bad but barely half of the total enrolled students live on campus) and it just doesn't feel right calling it a university.

Comment

Originally posted by Son of Zardoz View Post
                  Agree with hoping they can increase scholarships but I honestly don't want them to become a university. They sent a questionnaire a few years ago that made it sound like they were thinking of changing the mascot/logo (I think this was around the same time they introduced the terrible new wordmark for athletics) and one question did ask for input on a potential name change to Catawba University but had the strangest reason. It said it would be to eliminate confusion between Catawba College and Catawba Valley Community College. So strange, and if you ask me, stupid reason for a change.

To me, universities are larger institutions and it just doesn't sound/feel right for Catawba. It is a beautiful campus but tiny (not saying that's bad but barely half of the total enrolled students live on campus) and it just doesn't feel right calling it a university.
                  I fail to see how Indians and Redhawks can be confusing....

Comment

What I meant by become a university is adding graduate programs which are a cash cow for schools, especially in health science.
                    Last edited by BEARS; 11-19-2021, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Last edited by Cat U Fan; 11-21-2021, 01:41 AM.
                      Go Tribe...and God Bless America

Comment

Thanks Cat U and a happy Thanksgiving to you and everyone else on here. I pull for all SAC teams in the playoffs. Always have - those late 90s/early 2000s teams Catawba had were great. That big donation will make a huge difference for Catawba in all aspects.

Comment

It's getting embarrassing to continuously read other Catawba fans always calling for cleaning house and endlessly being so pessimistic. Yes the program has been down but I will take a 5 win season over a 1 win season any day of the week. I would love to hear how to miraculously change things when the administration appears to not be interested in spending much money on athletics but maybe that big donation is the previously unforeseen miracle. Can't imagine how miserable you must be to come back because you "heard about" this thread and simply want to bring down any sort of optimistic take on the season, so congrats I guess, see the edit smoothed things over.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X