Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LIMESTONE HAS ONE OF THE POOREST S.I. DEPARTMENT IN THE SAC....

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LIMESTONE HAS ONE OF THE POOREST S.I. DEPARTMENT IN THE SAC....

Once again, an example of poor leadership and management towards its football program has to be the coverage by its Sports Information Department and by its SID Ernest Meyers. I've taken a look at the websites from Wingate, Lenior-Rhyne, Carson-Newman, and other SAC schools. They have player articles, post-game interviews with players & their head coach and other items which promote their football program. We don't have that. Usually each week, we get a pre-game writeup and a post-game writeup. If a player gets a SAC weekly award that is included. That's all....

What about player interviews throughout the season, the local Gaffney newspaper hardly has anything about the football program. I just checked the Limestone Football Facebook page. The last post was in October. What about signing date... Where are the articles about the new 2022 freshman signees.... Is that so hard to write about and promote these new Saints. All the other SAC schools have articles written about their new class.... It means Meyers will actually need to get out of his office and do some work....

AD Mike Cerino once again fails in leadership for Limestone's football program. I'm sorry, he just doesn't get it.... Cerino needs to improve this area so he can get his 3rd plaque on our Wall of Fame.....

Reminds me of a past underfunded former SAC football conference member (now D3).

Moving forward, the NAIA or Division 3 could be the best options.

Comment

I don't know why you fellows like to beat up Limestone. They are Division 2 and will stay the course. It would put a huge blemish on the SAC if they departed for III. It isn't in the crystal ball so get over that. Secondly, Limestone has a big alumni base and quite a few deep pocket alums. Some contribute to football, some don't (same as all the SAC schools) You fellows like to beat up on the AD for his sport preferences, particularly LAX where they have had success. If you've noticed in the past 3 years Limestone ain't what it used to be in LAX so there. So, as my daddy use to say: follow the money trail. Is the AD pouring money unfairly into his favorite sport instead of a revenue sport like football? Nope.

I have heard who the next coach "might" be and if it is it's going to be a big surprise to all of us. I hear they are dangling the money carrot over him as we speak. I do know the DC regrettably left (don't know the circumstances but I hear voluntarily) and some thought he should have been in the equation. He is a heck of a nice guy and a talented coach so he will end up in a program somewhere.

Comment

I personally would like to see more articles/Interviews across all sports but I feel Ernest Myers does his best with what he has. His department is probably spread a little thin and while he can't be at all games at once, he is always out at a game. The next HC for football is a done deal and shouldn't be a surprise to anyone given the timing of everything. I dont think we are dangling a lot of money in front of him either. I happened to run into our President, Dr. Parker, yesterday at lunch and he confirmed that an announcement is coming next week. He also told me that he had been "personally involved" in the process, for what its it's worth.

Comment

Like AD Cerino said through his actions earlier, let's keep Coach Turk after the 2021 season and let him recruit the upcoming 2022 freshmen class. Let Coach Turk and his staff get to know each individual recruit, get to know the parents and families of these recruits, sign the 2022 recruits on February 2nd and then I will fire Coach Turk and his coaching staff 2 weeks later.

This shows the reason why Cerino doesn't qualify to be an athletic director. Very happy that Dr. Parker has finally gotten involved in overseeing the Limestone football program and his next head football coach....

Comment

I think your institution of higher learning has failed to give you logic classes sufficient for your education. He is supposed to change the coach a few days before the signing day?

If you do that you wreck another year completely. Maybe the ideal time is right after the season - you can certainly argue that, but often you cannot get the best pool of candidates until after playoffs are finished, and then recruiting time is quite limited.

Just because you disagree with him does not make him unqualified. His peers don't think he is unqualified. See below:

nacda 3/6/2019 2:00:00 PM
            2018-19 Under Armour Athletics Directors of the Year Announced

CLEVELAND -- The National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics (NACDA) announced the 28 winners of the Under Armour AD of the Year Award (ADOY) today. The award spans seven divisions (NCAA FBS, FCS, Division I-AAA, II, III, NAIA/Other Four-Year Institutions and Junior College/Community Colleges). Winners will receive their awards during the James J. Corbett Awards Luncheon on Tuesday, June 11 at NACDA's 54th Annual Convention at the World Center Marriott Resort in Orlando, Florida.

The ADOY Award highlights the efforts of athletics directors at all levels for their commitment and positive contributions to student-athletes, campuses and their surrounding communities.

"The athletics directors who have been recognized as part of the Athletics Director of the Year Program continue to raise the bar as thought leaders and decision makers in college athletics," said Bob Vecchione
            Winner Institution
            Football Bowl Subdivision
            Patrick Chun Washington State University
            Jamie Pollard Iowa State University
            Danny White University of Central Florida
            Deborah Yow North Carolina State University
            Football Championship Subdivision
            Grace Calhoun University of Pennsylvania
            Barry Collier Butler University
            Earl Hilton North Carolina A&T State University
            Matt Larsen North Dakota State University
            Division I-AAA
            Jim Donovan California State University, Fullerton
            Ken Kavanagh Florida Gulf Coast University
            Bruce Rasmussen Creighton University
            Mike Roth Gonzaga University
            Division II
            Anita Barker Chico State
            Mike Cerino Limestone College
            Pete Meyer Florida Southern College
            Carolyn Stone Palm Beach Atlantic University
            Division III
            Nan Carney-DeBord Denison University
            Erin McDermott University of Chicago
            Mike Mooney SUNY Geneseo
            Jason Verdugo Hamline University
            NAIA
            Kiki Barnes Dillard University
            Mike Hermann Kansas Wesleyan University
            Mike McCaffrey University of Saint Francis
            Darin Wilson Georgia Gwinnett College
            Junior/Community Colleges
            Kanoe Bandy Taft College
            Gary Broadhurst Mohawk Valley Community College
            Jeremy Capo Iowa Western Community College
            Marci Henry Northeastern Junior College
            Twenty-one of the 28 individuals being honored in 2019 are first-time ADOY award winners.
            Under Armour is now in its 11th year of sponsoring the award and over 248 different athletics directors have been honored with the award during that time.

"The Athletics Director of the Year Award acknowledges the positive impact top athletics directors across all levels have had at their respective institutions, and the leadership they provide to their student-athletes," said Suzanne Williams, Under Armour's director of collegiate sports marketing. "Under Armour is proud to partner with NACDA to honor those individuals who continue to excel and set the standard for leaders in college athletics."

All NACDA-member directors of athletics in the United States, Canada and Mexico who met the criteria were eligible for the award. Among the criteria were service as an AD for a minimum of five academic years; demonstration of commitment to higher education and student-athletes; continuous teamwork, loyalty and excellence; and the ability to inspire individuals or groups to high levels of accomplishments. Additionally, each AD's institution must have passed a compliance check through its appropriate governing body (i.e., NCAA, NAIA, etc.), in which the institution could not have been on probation or cited for a lack of institutional control within the last five years during the tenure of the current athletics director.
            Nominators were NACDA-member directors of athletics, institutional presidents and conference commissioners, as well as other respected intercollegiate athletics administrators. Special Divisional Selection Committees composed of current and former directors of athletics, current and former commissioners and other key athletics administrators voted on nominees for the award. A complete listing of Selection Committee members can be found on NACDA's website at www.nacda.com.
            About Under Armour, Inc.www.underarmour.com.

About NACDA: NACDA, now in its 54th year, is the professional and educational Association for more than 15,700 college athletics administrators at more than 1,700 institutions throughout the United States, Canada and Mexico. More than 6,500 athletics administrators annually attend NACDA & Affiliates Convention Week. Additionally, NACDA manages 17 professional associations and three foundations. For more information on NACDA, visit www.nacda.com.

Comment

Yes Red, this is the same post you put out about 2 years ago. Cerino must have sent it to you... Every year there are 28 AD's of the year. There has been 248 AD's given that award by 2019 sponsored by Under Armor. Wonder why they are sponsoring it.... I'm sure it has nothing to do about their athletic gear....

Obviously, the institution of higher learning you graduated from didn't provide to give you any logic classes. The institution I graduated from, Limestone, provided those classes.

How many head football coaches have been fired after signing date this year... Just 1 - Brian Turk from Limestone..... There has been a couple that has stepped down, but just 1 firing by the AD. If you make a change, you make the change after the season.... There have been dozens of coaching changes at all levels during this season during this time period. But no, you would rather have a program lie to recruits and their parents that the current head coach will be their head coach during the upcoming season.

Pretty obvious you also didn't take the class on truth and honesty at your institution of your higher learning.... I'm just glad the Limestone's president, Darrell Parker is now getting involved in the selection of the next head coach..... Hopefully, he will take a more active role in the supervision of Limestone's football program.... It is clear Cerino cannot handle it... But he has done a great job on the Esports programs at Limestone.... Should get another AD award pretty soon....

Comment

You make some fair points, but I will also say the schools you mentioned (Carson-Newman, Wingate, Lenoir-Rhyne) set the bar really high. They are three of the best, not just in the SAC but in the nation. I spend a lot of time on D2 athletic sites and its hard to do it better than they do on a D2 athletic department budget. Definitely a benchmark that Limestone and others should be striving for.

Comment

Originally posted by Saints17 View Post
                  Yes Red, this is the same post you put out about 2 years ago. Cerino must have sent it to you... Every year there are 28 AD's of the year. There has been 248 AD's given that award by 2019 sponsored by Under Armor. Wonder why they are sponsoring it.... I'm sure it has nothing to do about their athletic gear....

Obviously, the institution of higher learning you graduated from didn't provide to give you any logic classes. The institution I graduated from, Limestone, provided those classes.

How many head football coaches have been fired after signing date this year... Just 1 - Brian Turk from Limestone..... There has been a couple that has stepped down, but just 1 firing by the AD. If you make a change, you make the change after the season.... There have been dozens of coaching changes at all levels during this season during this time period. But no, you would rather have a program lie to recruits and their parents that the current head coach will be their head coach during the upcoming season.

Pretty obvious you also didn't take the class on truth and honesty at your institution of your higher learning.... I'm just glad the Limestone's president, Darrell Parker is now getting involved in the selection of the next head coach..... Hopefully, he will take a more active role in the supervision of Limestone's football program.... It is clear Cerino cannot handle it... But he has done a great job on the Esports programs at Limestone.... Should get another AD award pretty soon....
                  First - esports is completely separate from the Athletic Department. And you being a student there at one time you should be able to find that out. You keep making the insinuation that the removal of the past coach was simply stupid timing - but you also had both coordinators leave before Turk was fired (and after signing day). None of them left the field of football coaching, but felt the need to move on.

So what is ANY AD supposed to do when you lose the core of your coaching staff? Just accept that there will be better hires in place? Or accept that this is not going to work out, and you have to make a change at the top. One of the most valuable assets of ANY head coach is the ability to attract the best assistants and keep them as long as possible before they move on to bigger and better things. And that clearly was not happening here.

Another issue is whether you are funding the head coach and the top coordinators with the appropriate salaries. And just as Chuck Bitner says you have some good programs to emulate - and I believe Limestone was underfunding the coaching staff and will make a good effort at remedying that situation. You do get what you pay for.

Again - the only "evidence" you have is a cursory view of the situation. That is why your logic is faulty.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Bitner View Post
                    You make some fair points, but I will also say the schools you mentioned (Carson-Newman, Wingate, Lenoir-Rhyne) set the bar really high. They are three of the best, not just in the SAC but in the nation. I spend a lot of time on D2 athletic sites and its hard to do it better than they do on a D2 athletic department budget.
                    I've been trying to tell Adam Cavalier this for a while now, but I don't think he takes me serious and maybe that I'm joking. I, along with several others, am astounded he hasn't been scooped up by a bigger school because the work he and his folks do is incredible. And I haven't even mentioned how he is one of the best people on campus WITH EASE.

Comment

Originally posted by canadarican View Post

I've been trying to tell Adam Cavalier this for a while now, but I don't think he takes me serious and maybe that I'm joking. I, along with several others, am astounded he hasn't been scooped up by a bigger school because the work he and his folks do is incredible. And I haven't even mentioned how he is one of the best people on campus WITH EASE.
                      You are right Chuck and Canadarican.... I just spent time looking at their athletic website and they are in a league of their own when comparing to most of the rest of the SAC SID departments. Also, Tusculum seems to do a real good job in their coverage of their athletic teams. I also checked out Carson-Newman's and Adam Cavalier is just outstanding. There are player and coaches interviews posted in all sports. You can tell there is a strong administrative commitment at those institutions for their Sports Information Departments....
                      Last edited by Saints17; 03-05-2022, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X