Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SAC and FloSports Announce Historic Streaming Rights Partnership

I am sure this is good for all parties but sounds like it means the end of free access to the SAC Digital Network. The bad news: FloSports is not cheap. I paid a lot for a subscription last year just to be able to watch GSC games. The good news: the quality of the broadcasts is really good. In the SAC, there has been a big disparity between good broadcasts and not-so-good broadcasts. This should make it more consistent and give the league broader reach. FloSports also has a good mobile app for live streaming. Overall, it is a great service but for fans, it's going to cost us to watch SAC games this year.

https://thesac.com/general/2022-23/r...20220714btghtv

Not a fan of this decision at all!!

While the quality of a few games in the past was not the best, for the most part most broadcast were of pretty good quality.
    What's the net revenue from each game for the participating school's athletic departments?

Was this primarily SAC Commissioner Patrick Britz's decision?

Seems as though these days, it's more and more about the $$$!!!!

Comment

Thanks, Chuck. So three questions here: (1) Assuming this means the schools are no longer independently broadcasting their games (which is a good thing), how much better does this make the visual experience? (ie multiple cameras/angles, sideline reporters etc) (2) Will school specific commentators still be doing the games (would hate to listen to an LR game without Juju or Eric) (3) If they are FloSports commentators, will they be live on set? IMO there is a noticeable difference in quality between when commentators are in person vs virtual.

Comment

Originally posted by BEARS View Post
        Thanks, Chuck. So three questions here: (1) Assuming this means the schools are no longer independently broadcasting their games (which is a good thing), how much better does this make the visual experience? (ie multiple cameras/angles, sideline reporters etc) (2) Will school specific commentators still be doing the games (would hate to listen to an LR game without Juju or Eric) (3) If they are FloSports commentators, will they be live on set? IMO there is a noticeable difference in quality between when commentators are in person vs virtual.
        I'll try to help answer some of these.

1. Schools are still responsible for the production of their games. The visual experience will still be on the schools to do at a high level.
        2. You will still get to listen to Juju and Eric. And Carson-Newman folks are stuck with me and Wottreng. Etc etc
        3. We do have the option to request commentators from FloSports to do the games remotely. IE, so if I feel overwhelmed (I don't) trying to find someone to broadcast our volleyball tournament featuring eight games Oct. 22-23, I could reach out to Flo to have someone do those games remotely.

Comment

So what I am reading is that we are going to pay for what we were getting free previously without any sort of benefit?

Comment

Originally posted by LR1891 View Post
            So what I am reading is that we are going to pay for what we were getting free previously without any sort of benefit?
            This is my concern as well.

Comment

Originally posted by LR1891 View Post
              There is a financial benefit to the schools. However, it is at their discretion how that is applied. Could go to amp up the production quality. However, there is also nothing stopping a school from using that money to offset travel costs or buy uniforms

Comment

Seems to me as being a very bad deal, and nothing more than a money grab. If the school's admins are so desperate for more money, let everyone know and we'll try and take up a collection or start a charity benefit.

Comment

Folks in the GSC complained a lot last year but it is what it is. At least you'll get to see those games too as part of your subscription but you get access to tons more.

I'm on board for the annual fee because I wanted to watch UNA in a post-season softball tournament a couple of months back on FloSoftball and I'm also a huge fan of DCI on FloMarching (which also carries the big HS band competitions). There's also FloHoops, FloHockey, FloGymnastics, and similar for lots of other sports. It's all included.
                  Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

I guess gone are the days when you could have friends and family simply check out a SAC football game. Same goes for potential recruits, coaches, and even friends in the Military looking for a good game to watch. The media sell-out means less exposure for the SAC teams.

Comment

Looks like it will cost $29.99 per month. This is not great timing, in my opinion, given the state of the economy where everyone is having to stretch their dollar further and further.

Comment

30 Bucks a Month! I don't think so. I'll go to home games and listen to 96.5 radio for the away. I'm not paying those blood sucking termites one red cent. Me on fixed income and what about some of the parents of players who can't afford it? It ought to be free like before. LR broadcast was very good so was CN, Wingit, Nuberry some of the others was fair to midlin but other than freezing up was ok. I bet the first time it freezes up the phones at FLO will be on fire people wanting their money back!
                        Da Bears

Comment

The annual fee is the best deal at only $17.50 a month but for folks that are just going to be watching for 2.5 months, it's obviously much cheaper to do the monthly (and the company realizes that which is why the pricing is what it is).

With the way college ticket prices are going, the $30 is really just about the price of two tickets per month.

That said, ESPN+ is so much cheaper even as they just upped their fee to $9.99 per month. But, there are tons of ads compared to Flo.
                          Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Yeah, really disappointed. Terrible timing, seems like the conference is a little tone deaf as to what people are going through with the state of the economy.

Comment

Looking at the big picture, most of the SAC football players do not come from homes with disposable incomes, if fact, many come from economically depressed family limited budget situations. How many players are now going to have and tell their parents, grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins friends ect, that they can no longer watch any of their games being streamed, without paying money?

Now, if I was with a non SAC school in a recruiting war with an SAC school for a key player (or players) being able to let that potential player know that his family and friends will be able to watch him (or her) play (especially for away games) live via the internet at no cost, would be a huge selling feature.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X