Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limestone

Congrats to the Saints on a tremendous season. I still think Coach Furrey should've won coach of the year in the conference (and that is no slight against Coach Knight), but there aren't too many better turnarounds in D2 this year than what was done in Gaffney.

Saints kept fighting against UWF, but the Argos are a dang good football team who are much improved over last years team.

Originally posted by canadarican View Post
    Congrats to the Saints on a tremendous season. I still think Coach Furrey should've won coach of the year in the conference (and that is no slight against Coach Knight), but there aren't too many better turnarounds in D2 this year than what was done in Gaffney.

Saints kept fighting against UWF, but the Argos are a dang good football team who are much improved over last years team.
    Thanks Canadarican, it certainly was a season to remember for the Saints. You are correct in your assessment of West Florida, they are dang good. In the 8 seasons I've been watching D2 football in person, I don't remember seeing a QB with a cannon for an arm like their guy (Peewee). A funny nickname because he is a big load to try and bring down when he runs. I was proud of our fight but we left too many points on the field. 2 possessions with goal-to-go and came away with no points. The blocked punt for a TD with 11 seconds left in the first half was a back breaker. I never thought we'd even be mentioned for the playoffs at the start of the season. We are a young team also, so hopefully we can keep the important pieces here and add some quality with Coach Furrey having an entire recruiting cycle to work with.

Comment

Furrey really has done a fantastic job! On a side note, any update about building the new stadium?

Comment

On the final coach's show today Furrey said he could not find a bigger turnaround for a winless team transitioning to a new coach. Not sure of how he limited his search in the sense of which NCAA football divisions.

And given the number of recruits he brought to campus for the four football games, he will have some hard decisions on who to offer for next year.

Comment

Originally posted by BEARS View Post
          Furrey really has done a fantastic job! On a side note, any update about building the new stadium?
          I haven't heard anything definitive as to when additional permanent seating and a new scoreboard will be added. As a booster I'm usually in on information about fundraising but I've seen nothing specific with regards to amount of money, any drawings, etc...I know the school also wants to build some type of football building behind one endzone. The original discussion was to use temporary seating this year and have permanent seating and other amenities for next season. We'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by RedFromMI View Post
            On the final coach's show today Furrey said he could not find a bigger turnaround for a winless team transitioning to a new coach. Not sure of how he limited his search in the sense of which NCAA football divisions.

And given the number of recruits he brought to campus for the four football games, he will have some hard decisions on who to offer for next year.
            Cronic inherited a terrible team and went 13-2 and 13-1 in his two years at LR.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearhof View Post

Cronic inherited a terrible team and went 13-2 and 13-1 in his two years at LR.
              But I don't think he inherited a winless team.

Comment

Originally posted by Saints Tailgating View Post

But I don't think he inherited a winless team.
                He also didn’t bring in but three transfers to a 3-8 team. Either way they both did a great job. But 26-3 is awesome over two years.

Comment

Both coaches did great jobs, but its not really similar situations. Cronic took over a program with 2 down years but had talent on the roster.Cronic didn't need to bring in a bunch of transfers. The talent was in Hickory already. Keller was just a horrific coach. His first mistake was starting his own kid at QB, who was awful.

Furrey took over a program that was winless the year prior and had won just 4 games since 2018. And based on comments from people here and people I know, it was debatable if he had any support from the school or AD.

And bringing in transfers or whatever is part of college football now. Furrey had to bring in transfers because there wasn't much talent and people left. Sometimes people leaving is a big plus. Not a single dude who transfered from CN last year was missed this year. Not 1. And none of them really did anything in their new homes.

Like I said. Both coaches did great jobs. But the two situations are not really comparable at all.

Comment

Both coaches did great jobs, but its not really similar situations. Cronic took over a program with 2 down years but had talent on the roster.Cronic didn't need to bring in a bunch of transfers. The talent was in Hickory already. Keller was just a horrific coach. His first mistake was starting his own kid at QB, who was awful.

Furrey took over a program that was winless the year prior and had won just 4 games since 2018. And based on comments from people here and people I know, it was debatable if he had any support from the school or AD.

And bringing in transfers or whatever is part of college football now. Furrey had to bring in transfers because there wasn't much talent and people left. Sometimes people leaving is a big plus. Not a single dude who transfered from CN last year was missed this year. Not 1. And none of them really did anything in their new homes.

Like I said. Both coaches did great jobs. But the two situations are not really comparable at all.
                    Well said.

Comment

Well said.
                      I say it is harder to take a 3-8 to 13-2 with existing players than it is to transfer in a whole new team of players and go 8-4. They lost the first game to a very good west Alabama in the last 11 seconds at Alabama. There other loss was to the national champion Valdosta. The next year there only loss was to the national champion WFla 43-38 in the po. Now you tell me that is not getting a team turned around better than an 8-4 team and I totally disagree.

Comment

I say it is harder to take a 3-8 to 13-2 with existing players than it is to transfer in a whole new team of players and go 8-4. They lost the first game to a very good west Alabama in the last 11 seconds at Alabama. There other loss was to the national champion Valdosta. The next year there only loss was to the national champion WFla 43-38 in the po. Now you tell me that is not getting a team turned around better than an 8-4 team and I totally disagree.
                        Chronic came into an established program with a long history of success and a solid foundation in place. Just not the same as taking the helm of a program in just its 8th season with zero foundation and zero history of success.

Comment

Of course you do. But it's because your extremely biased as you've said before.

They also didn't have a whole new team of players lol. This is similar to when you complained about CN number of transfers.

Transfers is the new way of college football. It's the future unfortunately

Comment

Chronic came into an established program with a long history of success and a solid foundation in place. Just not the same as taking the helm of a program in just its 8th season with zero foundation and zero history of success.
                            Exactly.

Comment

Of course you do. But it's because your extremely biased as you've said before.

They also didn't have a whole new team of players lol. This is similar to when you complained about CN number of transfers.

Transfers is the new way of college football. It's the future unfortunately
                              Its how WFla became very successful very fast and they started from scratch like Limestone except they did the whole team transfer process a few years back.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X