Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newberry College Spring Game

I think the spring game at Newberry was a "mixed bag". First of all, there was a huge crowd with a lot of tail gating. Much more so than in years past. If you like a lot of big plays on offense, this was a game for you. It was offense in White against defense in scarlet. There were 8 offensive touchdowns scored (4 through the air and 4 on the ground). One thing is for sure, we have a lot of weapons on offense. Brayden Phillips played well at QB (two touchdown passes with several other pass plays for big yards), as well as another young QB I had not seen before and could not find him on the roster. I could see either of these two starting at QB next fall. We had a young receiver also not on the roster that caught 3 of the 4 touchdown passes. At running back, it seems Wright has picked up right where Mario Anderson left off with several big runs. The surprise for me was seeing Tommy Washington at Fullback rather than TE. Wow, did he look good busting loose for several big runs between the tackles. At 250 lbs, with his speed, he is a load to bring down. I think teams will see him playing both, TE and Fullback this fall.

With all the excitment on offense, the big question mark is on defense. Not sure if our offense is that explosive, or our defense is prone to give up big plays. They did create 2 turn-overs and got in the backfield to disrupt plays several times.I just hope we don't give up as many big plays to opposing teams as I saw yesterday. Spring games usually don't get me too excited; however, I must say I was excited after watching this years game. Looking forward to this fall!!

Hail to the Scarlet and Gray!
    Go Wolves!

The other QB that played well along with Brayden Phillips was Jy Tolen who is a sophore transfer from Gardner-Webb. Man that kid looked good.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
    Working...
    X