Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep Dive: Defending Champions, Newberry Wolves

Does anyone with deeper knowledge into the program know what Newberry is working with this year? I know they were picked first in the conference but preseason polls are about as useless as they come.

What I do know..

Offensively:

- Who replaces Anderson after losing him to USC?
    - Kitchings and Woodruff gone at the two outside WR spots, slots seem to be returning.
    - For the first time in a long time, Dre Harris is not the QB.
    - OL looks to be strong returning 3 or 4
    - Washington the TE ranked Top 3 TE in the country

Defensively:

- Very up and down last year
    - Pass defense was spotty, run defense solid
    - Seem to be returning 8 starters, should see a vast improvement.

I personally don't have any deep dive info on the personnel and talent at Newberry other than what I have been told by others close to the program. Newberry will be young this year, especially at the skill positions. They no longer have Anderson, Harris, Kitchens, nor Woddruff; however, the coaching staff is really high on the kids they have stepping into those roles. From what I understand, Phillips will be at QB. He got better each game he played in last year. He does not have the mobility that Harris had, but he can throw the ball all over the field. They also have the transfer from Gardner-Webb (Jy Tolen) who may see time at QB. He is much more elusive, can run with the ball, threw for over 4000 yards his senior year of high school. Wright will take Anderson's place in the backfield and the coaching staff is really high on him. Needless to say, Washington will be a beast at the TE position. The offensive and defensive lines will be much improved this year. They expect the defense to be much stronger this year, more typical of Todd Knight defenses of the past. The big question mark in my opinion will be who steps up to take the place at wide-out. I expect Banks and Washington to play a key role in the passing game.

I know the coaching staff was not excited to see Newberry pre-season number 1 in the conference. They have really enjoyed playing the underdog role the last few years.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
    Working...
    X