Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Albany State cuts men's golf and cross country

Another source (HBCU gameday) said the school even considered cutting football too.

https://www.albanyherald.com/sports/...6cfffd2ec.html

EDIT: Here's a link to the HBCU Gameday article. Scroll down to Q&A.

https://hbcugameday.com/2019/07/17/a...golf-programs/
    Last edited by 4_tattoos; 07-17-2019, 08:49 PM.

Re: Albany State cuts men's golf and cross country

It's always disappointing to see a school cut sports. If Albany State had cut a 3rd men's team the NCAA would have shown them the door like Cheyney.

Good info, it helped me find a change that I did not know about. Albany State Women's Soccer is joining the PBC from the Independents.

Comment

I guess I am missing something here, but I don't see how cutting cross country saves that much money. They have a men's track team, so I would assume most if not all of the cross country guys also run track. Additionally, as with most schools, it looks like the Track coach also coached cross country. It seems like all they are really saving is having to go to a handful of meets in the Fall.

Comment

Originally posted by LegalRam View Post
        I guess I am missing something here, but I don't see how cutting cross country saves that much money. They have a men's track team, so I would assume most if not all of the cross country guys also run track. Additionally, as with most schools, it looks like the Track coach also coached cross country. It seems like all they are really saving is having to go to a handful of meets in the Fall.
        I agree. Always assumed cross country had to be the least expensive of all college sports to fund. Not the sport you usually see get cut in these situations.

Comment

Originally posted by LegalRam View Post
          I'm with you on missing something.

The 2018-19 XC roster has 5 runners and only 1 is not also on the 2018-19 T&F roster.

Same coaches for both teams.

There were 6 regular season XC meets scheduled in 2018, all in the state of GA including 1 which was cancelled due to hurricane; and 5 regular season XC meets scheduled in 2019 with 4 in the state of GA and the other in Jacksonville, AL.

One meet each season is hosted by Albany State on campus.

The men's and women's schedules are the same.

T&F/XC is allowed 12.6 scholarships and men's XC without T&F is allowed 5 scholarships. I can't find anything that says you are allowed a reduced max of T&F scholarships without a XC team.

Maybe if someone from Albany State is on this board they can explain it.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
          Working...
          X