Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about Benedict College

First I heard of Benedict was during the playoffs last year, I figured they had a a senior laden team that had been playing together for five years (Covid exemptions) and ended up having an exceptional year. but I see they're undefeated again this year and over the last two years they've played only two close (less than a touchdown win) games during the regular season.

How have they come to dominate the SIAC? Is it a new coach, a special QB, the portal?

I put a lot on their coach and the school investment. He got there right before Covid in 2020, so his first playing season was 2021. When he got there the school put money into upgrading their locker room and other facilities.

They went 5-5 in 2021 followed by what has been two great seasons. He reminds me a lot of how Maynor came to WSSU and turned us into a competitor. Like Maynor though, FCS schools will come calling. SC State's long time coach has announced his retirement, so most people think he's on the shortlist for that job. I wish he would stick around and make Benedict a legit national contender, but his background is being an OC at SWAC and MEAC schools, so I have a feeling he will become a SWAC or MEAC head coach very soon.

Comment

Originally posted by LegalRam View Post
      I put a lot on their coach and the school investment. He got there right before Covid in 2020, so his first playing season was 2021. When he got there the school put money into upgrading their locker room and other facilities.

They went 5-5 in 2021 followed by what has been two great seasons. He reminds me a lot of how Maynor came to WSSU and turned us into a competitor. Like Maynor though, FCS schools will come calling. SC State's long time coach has announced his retirement, so most people think he's on the shortlist for that job. I wish he would stick around and make Benedict a legit national contender, but his background is being an OC at SWAC and MEAC schools, so I have a feeling he will become a SWAC or MEAC head coach very soon.
      Yea I read an article that laid it out. That 4+ million helped but considering his infrastructure challenges the man is a miracle worker. If the SWAC or MEAC don't get him, there are a teams in D2 with infrastructure and Dollars to hire him away. It's almost certain he will not be Benedict next year, as a man of faith I hope he chooses wisely because he's well on the way to a big Bag :)

Comment

Originally posted by boyblue View Post

Yea I read an article that laid it out. That 4+ million helped but considering his infrastructure challenges the man is a miracle worker. If the SWAC or MEAC don't get him, there are a teams in D2 with infrastructure and Dollars to hire him away. It's almost certain he will not be Benedict next year, as a man of faith I hope he chooses wisely because he's well on the way to a big Bag :)
        Agree 100%. He's done an amazing job at a small private school with limited resources. He should be in demand so hopefully when he moves on he makes a good decision.

Comment

Agree 100%. He's done an amazing job at a small private school with limited resources. He should be in demand so hopefully when he moves on he makes a good decision.
          I would have loved him at VSU but Coach Jackson is on his way to rebuilding our dynasty :)

Comment

Definitely the right coach for them but I believe they also had some pretty good pick ups in transfer portal that has helped. I Did not think they would be this dominate again this year, since their starting QB went FCS. Hopefully Skegee can get a rematch in the SIAC championship game and get some revenge from last year's embarrassing lost.

Comment

First I heard of Benedict was during the playoffs last year, I figured they had a a senior laden team that had been playing together for five years (Covid exemptions) and ended up having an exceptional year. but I see they're undefeated again this year and over the last two years they've played only two close (less than a touchdown win) games during the regular season.

How have they come to dominate the SIAC? Is it a new coach, a special QB, the portal?
              Gaming the system. Just have some better players than others. SIAC has been weak for some years, late 2010’s they had some teams like Miles, Tuskegee, and Albany State teams that could possibly compete in the playoffs. Albany State beat Valdosta some years back and was really good, I think their former HC is in FCS now.

They are beating super low-caliber teams outside of a couple (Miles and FVSU come to mind) and they aren’t scheduling anybody tough locally to prove they belong nationally. Another quick playoff loss by 3-4 TD’s+ is on the way.

Don’t believe they would be over .500 in the GSC or SAC.

Comment

Originally posted by MrCorso View Post

Gaming the system. Just have some better players than others. SIAC has been weak for some years, late 2010’s they had some teams like Miles, Tuskegee, and Albany State teams that could possibly compete in the playoffs. Albany State beat Valdosta some years back and was really good, I think their former HC is in FCS now.

They are beating super low-caliber teams outside of a couple (Miles and FVSU come to mind) and they aren’t scheduling anybody tough locally to prove they belong nationally. Another quick playoff loss by 3-4 TD’s+ is on the way.

Don’t believe they would be over .500 in the GSC or SAC.
                For what it's worth, Benedict is coming off of just blowing out an Albany State team that Valdosta struggled to beat this season.

The scheduling part is tough to put the blame on them. They only get two OOC games, and one was like week 4 this year so they had to scramble at the last minute to get Chowan. The elephant in the room is why them and Newberry don't regularly play. For years Benedict was bad, so maybe Newberry didn't want to take the SOS hit for playing them. However, now that Benedict is better maybe them and Newberry can start playing more often.

Comment

Yeah i agree it is kinda hard to blame scheduling. They just got good last year and most non conferences games are scheduled a year or two in advance right? Maybe if the coach sticks around a few more seasons he will start scheduling some SAC or GSC schools to get some better opponents on the schedule.

Comment

Southern University has fired their coach, and Chennis Berry was OC there before coming to Benedict. Considering that Southern only has one game left on the season (Bayou Classic) I think this shows they want to get ahead of the coach search process.

The SC State job was already open, and now the Southern job has popped up. I hope I'm wrong as I'd like to see Benedict become a true force, but I'd say Berry's slim chances of returning to Benedict next year are now practically nonexistent.

Comment

Southern University has fired their coach, and Chennis Berry was OC there before coming to Benedict. Considering that Southern only has one game left on the season (Bayou Classic) I think this shows they want to get ahead of the coach search process.

The SC State job was already open, and now the Southern job has popped up. I hope I'm wrong as I'd like to see Benedict become a true force, but I'd say Berry's slim chances of returning to Benedict next year are now practically nonexistent.
                      It's a shame because having a strong team like that around forces everyone to get better. Speaking of which, what happened to you guys since that NC appearance? I wonder what WSSU could be if you were in the GSC, those cupcakes are making you guys soft, y'all need a tougher schedule.

Comment

We tried to schedule WSSU had it on the books and they backed out late for some reason. Benedict more than likely will have a coaching turnover because the Southern job is open now and he was just there as oc.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X