Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oklahoma Football

Which Oklahoma school will win a GAC title first?

Re: Oklahoma Football

I would think SEOST mainly because of Dallas area recruiting.

Comment

I think SWOSU may in the near future with a staff change.

Comment

I would think SE Ok, but they completely folded down the stretch.

Comment

I honestly think Oklahoma Baptist is the sleeping giant of this conference if they can figure some stuff out. They have a beautiful campus, Shawnee is nice and they're about as close to OKC as SNU, but with nicer everything at their disposal. With the resources they have, I don't see why OKBU can't be the HU or OBU of Oklahoma eventually.

Comment

Will they though? I think if one does it would be SE, but I don't know if the OIC has legs or not. Personally I hope not. I've spent a ton of time in Shawnee, and it is about 30 minutes away from OKC proper. Bethany is literally surrounded by OKC, and can reach downtown much quicker. Not that it matters. OBU had alot of success is olympic sports but I don't see football sharing the same path. UCO is in the region too. Heck maybe its an expatriated NSU? If they focus on how to block kicks instead of blocking twitter, maybe thay can go places.
            Go Bronchos!

Comment

When you have the budgets of the OK schools, it is hard to be competitive in anything....so it will probably be a while before one of the OK schools will win a title.

Comment

Originally posted by Finishempty Fred View Post
                I would think SEOST mainly because of Dallas area recruiting.
                This is true, but other Oklahoma schools, especially ECU, recruit in Dallas heavily.

Comment

Originally posted by ReddieMade View Post
                  I honestly think Oklahoma Baptist is the sleeping giant of this conference if they can figure some stuff out. They have a beautiful campus, Shawnee is nice and they're about as close to OKC as SNU, but with nicer everything at their disposal. With the resources they have, I don't see why OKBU can't be the HU or OBU of Oklahoma eventually.
                  There is some truth to this. I have never lived in Shawnee, but going to school in Ada I have been there many times. It is a nice little town and its location relative to OKC is nice. It is a very popular school in OK, and I agree with ReddieMAde that this school could be dangerous one day.

Comment

Originally posted by UCObluejay View Post
                    Will they though? I think if one does it would be SE, but I don't know if the OIC has legs or not. Personally I hope not. I've spent a ton of time in Shawnee, and it is about 30 minutes away from OKC proper. Bethany is literally surrounded by OKC, and can reach downtown much quicker. Not that it matters. OBU had alot of success is olympic sports but I don't see football sharing the same path. UCO is in the region too. Heck maybe its an expatriated NSU? If they focus on how to block kicks instead of blocking twitter, maybe thay can go places.
                    I saw this on Twitter. Pure comedy.

However, I think a reincarnated OIC has potential. The budgets of most of these schools are terrible, and the OIC would eliminate a lot of expenses. For example, no hotel rooms needed, and in some cases saving money on a big pregame meal. Not only that, but I think more fans would come to the games due to bringing back old rivalries. I'm not saying this will happen, but I personally would like it, and I personally think it would be good for the state of Oklahoma.

Comment

When the GAC first got going, I would've sworn it would be ECU. They were easily the best team from OK in the conference at the time. Talented on both sides of the ball. Don't know what happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Divisiontwo View Post
                        When the GAC first got going, I would've sworn it would be ECU. They were easily the best team from OK in the conference at the time. Talented on both sides of the ball. Don't know what happened.
                        This is very true. I honestly believe the talent is still there in most positions. With two seasons in a row like they have had, there might be some changes made, but I have heard of none.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStarTiger View Post
                          When you have the budgets of the OK schools, it is hard to be competitive in anything....so it will probably be a while before one of the OK schools will win a title.
                          I seriously doubt the budgets are any thinner than OBU operates with. I mean we have 1,500 students for goodness sake. There are ways to be frugal and still win.

I know OBU does a great job of recruiting solid academic players so they can get academic scholarships and they can spread out and make the football scholarships go further.

I'd also say look at how few JC transfers the good AR schools have compared to some OK schools.

We were bad for a while, but the staff was given time to figure out how to make things work, it's paid off now.

Comment

Pre GAC - Were all the Oklahoma schools in the NAIA? Were all the Arkansas schools in the GSC?

Comment

Originally posted by OBUGrad View Post
                              I seriously doubt the budgets are any thinner than OBU operates with. I mean we have 1,500 students for goodness sake. There are ways to be frugal and still win.

I know OBU does a great job of recruiting solid academic players so they can get academic scholarships and they can spread out and make the football scholarships go further.

I'd also say look at how few JC transfers the good AR schools have compared to some OK schools.

We were bad for a while, but the staff was given time to figure out how to make things work, it's paid off now.
                              HU and HSU both go after Juco defensive players pretty hard. Those are often needed to step in and play right away. Also easier to steal a guy for a couple years who has D1 body that didn't ever get there. HSU has plenty of D1 bodies running around in the secondary every year.

That said, HU is basically 0 juco players on offense. Kimberlin came from a Mississippi Juco, but he's the only really good juco offensive player I can remember for HU since switching to triple.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X