Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does it hurt the GAC that there are no non-conference games?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does it hurt the GAC that there are no non-conference games?

I have been talking with several people about this. Yes, it is nice to not have to drive that far to play. However, is it hurting the GAC nationally that we don't play any teams outside the conference? Harding definitely helped the GAC's case last year winning those playoffs.

Re: Does it hurt the GAC that there are no non-conference games?

Silo scheduling is in other conferences and you will hear complaints from those conferences as well. Henderson and Harding have won post season games in the NCAA PO. Harding no doubt made some good runs the last couple years. We need to continue getting better as a conference and competing in the off season. Other GAC wins in the post season have come from bowl games.

I always thought it would be nice if the conferences using silo scheduling would consider one OOC game with another conference using conference only games.
    Example and only an example, would be the MIAA and GAC teams each have one OOC game with the other conference. But, until then, the discussion continues each year. :good:

Comment

Split into two divisions. Play 2 OOC and round robin rest while preserving the legacy rivalries.
      Play a conf championship game to advance into bracket. Would require conference to have a guaranteed spot. But that seems fair.

Comment

Originally posted by Weevil Watcher View Post
        Split into two divisions. Play 2 OOC and round robin rest while preserving the legacy rivalries.
        Play a conf championship game to advance into bracket. Would require conference to have a guaranteed spot. But that seems fair.
        Sounds like a fair idea.

Comment

Frankly, the GAC teams (Harding excluded) just need to learn how to close out, which I think playing non-con games against MIAA teams would help with. Last year Ouachita had Ferris on the ropes, and Tech had Pitt in a big hole...neither team did what they needed to do to finish off with the win.

From a playoff seeding standpoint, the committee has not penalized silo scheduling.

So, I think the answer to your question is both "yes" and "no."

Regarding how a two game scheduling alliance could work, here is a column I wrote a few years ago that addressed that very topic: http://www.d2football.com/forum/entry.php?b=1632. Start with the sentence, "How would the GAC put this into practice and how would it affect the champion?"--it's towards the bottom.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
          Working...
          X