Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week 1 Thought on ECU

Sorry for the radio silence on my end. Been a busy weekend and week of high school football. None the less, I'd like to give my two cents on the ECU Tigers after re-watching their 1st game under Coach Johnson.

Offense:

We had a big score on the first play from scrimmage in the Johnson era. Trinity Benson took it 70 yds to the house, so that was great to see that Benson still has the big play ability. He also had some other big catches down field and caught a touchdown on the second drive. I think he is going to have a big year. I thought we ran the ball well with both of our backs, but I wasn't too impressed with OBU's defense, so that might change. The jury is still out on the run game. I thought the QB play was below average. Cornwall is a very talented player and had several receivers open down field that he simply overthrew. He will improve every week as far as I am concerned.

Defense:

I was honestly very impressed with our front seven. They play disciplined and really fly to the football. The area in which I think the defense needs to improve in the back end and and getting off the field on 3rd down. Fixing the former, will improve the latter. We play a lot of man coverage, which leaves little to no room for error and increases the chance of pass interference. This was a huge factor in the game to me. Lots of 3rd and 5-9 and we have a hiccup in the back end.

Special Teams:

At the end of the day, if we make our extra points then we win this game. We miss our second extra point and go to OT at 20 a piece. They get the ball and score, we answer with a score but miss the PAT to lose 26-27. Frustrating to say the least, but fixable.

Overall, I like this team. I like what we are doing for the most part in all 3 phases, and I think this is a good team. On other post I said that will will finish better than second to last in the conference, and I stick with that statement. I can honestly see us winning 4 to maybe 6 games. I know that's not how any fan wants to think, but that is improvement from what we have been, and I'd take that right now.

Go Tigers!

Re: Week 1 Thought on ECU

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStarTiger View Post
      Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
      No problem. I'm not sure if anyone gets anything out of them, but I love my team so I'm gonna talk!

Comment

TigerGuy,

I think your assessments of some of ECU's issues were spot on. If the Tigers had executed their pass game and not racked up so many penalties, it would not have been close. Had the Tigers executed their kick game, they would have won, even in a close game. Get those corrected and I think ECU can improve up to four wins--just don't see more than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Armo Wood View Post
          TigerGuy,

I think your assessments of some of ECU's issues were spot on. If the Tigers had executed their pass game and not racked up so many penalties, it would not have been close. Had the Tigers executed their kick game, they would have won, even in a close game. Get those corrected and I think ECU can improve up to four wins--just don't see more than that.
          Word.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
          Working...
          X