Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's up with Tech.

Coach Monica's seat may be getting warm. This team has talent, I'm confused?????

Re: What's up with Tech.

It's hard to fathom a school like Tech is 2-6 in the GAC.

Comment

Offense is their problem. They lost a bunch of players and their OC, Brent Dearmon. The combination of lack of execution, inability to finish drives, and in some cases head shaking decisions are big keys. Haven't had a chance to watch today's game, so I won't comment on that game, yet. But to give you an idea of some of the issues, last week against NWOSU, ATU went for it on a fourth-and-inches. Instead of giving the ball to Bryan Allen, they tried a quick swing pass out to the flat. Pass was thrown a little high, the blocking WR got pushed back, and the target WR stopped his route to keep from running into his teammate--pass incomplete, turnover on downs.

Comment

Thats a tuff call. If they give it to Allen and he gets stopped short, people say "why would we give it to him? Everyone in the stadium knew that what we were gonna do. We gotta do something different!". Haha. Its easy after the fact. Also, coaches call plays and kids are supposed to execute. Not always on the coaches. Not to mention there could have been an audible at the line. Dont get me wrong. I agree with ya on goving it to my stud RB on 4th and short. Just saying things arent always exactly the way they appear.

Comment

Bigworm,

I get what you are saying. [Correction about the pass: it was thrown ahead of the target receiver near the blocking receiver, and it didn't help that Allen bumped into Burcham as he was throwing the pass.]

Let me provide a little more background setup on the play: ATU was lined up on the hash marks near side (per the streaming view). The pass was thrown towards a receiver out by the numbers on the far side.

While I can understand the logic of not wanting to go with Allen--he had already picked up a 4th and 2 earlier and ATU doesn't want to be predictable--I think we would both agree calling a play or calling an audible into a play that is relatively high risk for a 4th and inches situation, especially, with an offense that has struggled to execute all season long, just seems to be setting up for failure.
          Last edited by Armo Wood; 10-20-2018, 08:49 PM.

Comment

I agree. One thing i think tech is doing wrong is asking a young QB to throw the ball 40 times a game. I havent watched much of tech but i do know there have been a ton of turnovers.

Comment

Originally posted by Armo Wood View Post
              Bigworm,

I get what you are saying. [Correction about the pass: it was thrown ahead of the target receiver near the blocking receiver, and it didn't help that Allen bumped into Burcham as he was throwing the pass.]

Let me provide a little more background setup on the play: ATU was lined up on the hash marks near side (per the streaming view). The pass was thrown towards a receiver out by the numbers on the far side.

While I can understand the logic of not wanting to go with Allen--he had already picked up a 4th and 2 earlier and ATU doesn't want to be predictable--I think we would both agree calling a play or calling an audible into a play that is relatively high risk for a 4th and inches situation, especially, with an offense that has struggled to execute all season long, just seems to be setting up for failure.
              Having just gotten home from this weeks fiasco, I can assure you that Armo is EXACTLY correct. However, he is only giving one example. Here are my examples taken from ALL of the Tech games this year:

1.) A plethora of 4 yard outs on 3rd and 8 or more. Today, there were 4 such plays...
              2.) I don't believe we have run more than 8 plays all year. The unique play today was a failed flea flicker (the pitch from the back went past the QB causing a 15 yard loss...). Oh, don't forget the play where our left tackle lined up in the slot receiver position and looked quite lost there...
              3.) Our DB's have a lot of trouble covering the short pass (well, long pass, and pass interference...)
              4.) 3 for 12 on field goals. Missed 2 more today...
              5.) Catching punts is a nightmare. Just a simple fair catch would be nice (one fumbled but recovered today and a couple not caught which cost us more yardage).
              6.) QB play has been erratic at best. Both QBs show moments of brilliance followed by a head scratching pick (another pick 6 today and just a normal pick as well).

Here is a microcosm of the year. On the drive where SWOSU scored their 4th TD. Started at their 13 yard line. Got a first down, then the D steps up with a sack and SWOSU punts. Roughing the kicker... 15 and automatic first down. About 3-4 plays later, a screen play and the ball is stripped, ATU recovers. Roughing the passer... The last two plays of the drive are exactly the same. ATU pressures the QB on the first play and the receiver is covered and the ball is thrown too high, 3rd down. Run the same play and the QB hits the same receiver in the letters in the endzone. The defense only stopped them twice and need that third time!

There have been more head scratching plays on both sides of the ball than I have EVER witnessed, and it doesn't seem to be the same perpetrator at all. No one seems to be exempt for making a head scratching play...

Enough ranting... On the plus side, Bryan Allen is having a pretty good year and should set the all time GAC rushing mark this year.

Comment

Comment

Good point. Allen is at 3317 yards and Oliver is 176 yards ahead of him (before yesterday). I missed that Oliver was still playing. Bad on my part. Both outstanding runners and career numbers are awesome.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X