Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of Season Thoughts on ECU

Wow! What a year under the helm of new head coach Al Johnson. I'd like to thank all involved with the ECU football program for allowing a washed-up has-been like me stay in touch and watch some football with some quality people. I love Ada, East Central, and the football program. It is such a special place. Anyhow..... Let's talk football.

At the beginning of the year, I predicted that ECU could win up to 4 or maybe 6 ball games at best! With the past two years, I can understand why that seemed crazy. Well... We finished with 3 wins. We dropped a bad one early to Oklahoma Baptist, played with 10 all night against Southern Naz (we had no QB all year), lost to NWOSU due to no offense, and dropped a heart breaker to SEOSU. With ANY sort of offensive production, particularly out of the QB, we could have won 6 maybe even 7 games!!! To me, this is a huge testament to what Al Johnson and company are doing to change the culture at ECU. I firmly believe that the new staff won us those 3 games, and lack of recruiting the last 3-4 years are responsible for not winning more.

Offense:
    This bunch was hard to watch most of the year. When I heard we got David Cornwell, I could not have been more excited. I went to our spring game and liked what I saw. He was really slinging it. Then I saw him in a game and was pretty disappointed. He played catch with the other team quite a bit. Rayjohn Austin-Ramsey was not much better, but gave us a better opportunity to win. Johnson HAS to go get a JUCO QB that can come play right now, that cannot be understated. Tyson Jones at RB was a pleasant surprise. I've known him since he got to ECU a few years back, and it's nice to see him turn into the player he has. Very reliable back in my opinion. We get Ontario "Mookie" Douglas back next year at that spot as well. Our Oline was pretty bad most of the year. We are graduating several, and will need to get some JUCO kids that can come play now. Losing our best playmaker in Trinity Benson will hurt, but I know of a couple young kids we have that will turn into big time players at that spot in my opinion.

Recruiting has destroyed this phase the last few years. Johnson has an opportunity to show us what he can do.

Defense:
    This phase carried the team. I know the stats don't show that, but that is why we won the games that we did. Coach Antonio Fenelus has a great scheme and really gets the guys flying around. He has created a great mentality with this group. We are losing some keys players like Justin Hayden at safety, Jamil Young at OLB, Andre Shelton and Zuri Elrington at DL, and Corey Williams at ILB. These young men made some great plays this year. However, we have a lot of talent coming back on this side of the ball. RJ Williams and Basiru Jobe at ILB are two guys that really fly around and smack folks. Keaton Bell had a break out year at OLB after he was moved there from ILB. Cameron Jones at DB is a great young talent in the conference in my opinion. He will have a long successful career. Also, Lynden Edwards at Corner had a good year as well. There is less concern for this side of the ball, but there still has to be development.

Overall, I could not be happier about where Coach Johnson is moving this program. The future is bright! GO TIGERS!

Re: End of Season Thoughts on ECU

Originally posted by TigerGuy View Post
    Wow! What a year under the helm of new head coach Al Johnson. I'd like to thank all involved with the ECU football program for allowing a washed-up has-been like me stay in touch and watch some football with some quality people. I love Ada, East Central, and the football program. It is such a special place. Anyhow..... Let's talk football.

At the beginning of the year, I predicted that ECU could win up to 4 or maybe 6 ball games at best! With the past two years, I can understand why that seemed crazy. Well... We finished with 3 wins. We dropped a bad one early to Oklahoma Baptist, played with 10 all night against Southern Naz (we had no QB all year), lost to NWOSU due to no offense, and dropped a heart breaker to SEOSU. With ANY sort of offensive production, particularly out of the QB, we could have won 6 maybe even 7 games!!! To me, this is a huge testament to what Al Johnson and company are doing to change the culture at ECU. I firmly believe that the new staff won us those 3 games, and lack of recruiting the last 3-4 years are responsible for not winning more.

Offense:
    This bunch was hard to watch most of the year. When I heard we got David Cornwell, I could not have been more excited. I went to our spring game and liked what I saw. He was really slinging it. Then I saw him in a game and was pretty disappointed. He played catch with the other team quite a bit. Rayjohn Austin-Ramsey was not much better, but gave us a better opportunity to win. Johnson HAS to go get a JUCO QB that can come play right now, that cannot be understated. Tyson Jones at RB was a pleasant surprise. I've known him since he got to ECU a few years back, and it's nice to see him turn into the player he has. Very reliable back in my opinion. We get Ontario "Mookie" Douglas back next year at that spot as well. Our Oline was pretty bad most of the year. We are graduating several, and will need to get some JUCO kids that can come play now. Losing our best playmaker in Trinity Benson will hurt, but I know of a couple young kids we have that will turn into big time players at that spot in my opinion.

Recruiting has destroyed this phase the last few years. Johnson has an opportunity to show us what he can do.

Defense:
    This phase carried the team. I know the stats don't show that, but that is why we won the games that we did. Coach Antonio Fenelus has a great scheme and really gets the guys flying around. He has created a great mentality with this group. We are losing some keys players like Justin Hayden at safety, Jamil Young at OLB, Andre Shelton and Zuri Elrington at DL, and Corey Williams at ILB. These young men made some great plays this year. However, we have a lot of talent coming back on this side of the ball. RJ Williams and Basiru Jobe at ILB are two guys that really fly around and smack folks. Keaton Bell had a break out year at OLB after he was moved there from ILB. Cameron Jones at DB is a great young talent in the conference in my opinion. He will have a long successful career. Also, Lynden Edwards at Corner had a good year as well. There is less concern for this side of the ball, but there still has to be development.

Overall, I could not be happier about where Coach Johnson is moving this program. The future is bright! GO TIGERS!
    Very good summary, love reading things like this from people that are not claiming to be a journalist or expert. ECU has their work cut out for them. Especially with what the Arkansas Schools are doing. They always play a tough game every game!

Comment

Originally posted by Mulerider View Post
      Very good summary, love reading things like this from people that are not claiming to be a journalist or expert. ECU has their work cut out for them. Especially with what the Arkansas Schools are doing. They always play a tough game every game!
      Dang it! Forgot to say I was an expert! :laugh:

Comment

Good stuff!

Still not sure what happened that Sept night in Ada, but congrats on the win against my Weevils. I was there and I still can't believe it......... here is the box score and I still can't believe it:crying::crying:

https://www.uamsports.com/boxscore.a...otball&id=2102

Comment

Dang it! Forgot to say I was an expert! :laugh:
          HAHAHA.

Comment

Originally posted by Weevil Watcher View Post
            Good stuff!

Still not sure what happened that Sept night in Ada, but congrats on the win against my Weevils. I was there and I still can't believe it......... here is the box score and I still can't believe it:crying::crying:

https://www.uamsports.com/boxscore.a...otball&id=2102
            6 take aways by our defense including a pick six! I'm telling you our defense carried us!

Comment

6 take aways by our defense including a pick six! I'm telling you our defense carried us!
              You got that right!

Hope it's a great offseason and recruiting class for you. I got a feeling we will be ready for you next year at home.....

Comment

Originally posted by Weevil Watcher View Post
                You got that right!

Hope it's a great offseason and recruiting class for you. I got a feeling we will be ready for you next year at home.....
                I have no doubt of that! Sometimes the drive is your teams greatest advantage!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                Working...
                X