Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where does the GAC compare to other D2 conferences

Hey everyone! We are almost to football season! Just a question I was thinking this past week,

For the GAC as a whole,

How far are we behind other conferences? I feel like we may be fairly comparable to the GSC, but feel we are miles behind other conferences such as the MIAA. I know we are still a fairly new conference and with only OK and ARK teams, and we are limited in our recruiting base as I am sure we are fighting everyone in LA and TX. I know Harding and OBU have done very well, but even OBU got beat at home 14-37 in the second round. We are still quite far from winning the D2 national championship as a conference. What about our facilities? Do we have as nice of facilities as other conferences? Fan support? Money? Just curious what you guys and gals know? I would love to learn from anyone who has some history behind this.

Thanks!

Re: Where does the GAC compare to other D2 conferences

Originally posted by Mulerider View Post
    Hey everyone! We are almost to football season! Just a question I was thinking this past week,

For the GAC as a whole,

How far are we behind other conferences? I feel like we may be fairly comparable to the GSC, but feel we are miles behind other conferences such as the MIAA. I know we are still a fairly new conference and with only OK and ARK teams, and we are limited in our recruiting base as I am sure we are fighting everyone in LA and TX. I know Harding and OBU have done very well, but even OBU got beat at home 14-37 in the second round. We are still quite far from winning the D2 national championship as a conference. What about our facilities? Do we have as nice of facilities as other conferences? Fan support? Money? Just curious what you guys and gals know? I would love to learn from anyone who has some history behind this.

Thanks!

Comment

Thanks for the correction, yeah I went and looked at the bracket afterwards and forgot they had that bye. OBU may only have 1,500 students, but they have some donors with some pockets. Harding is quite a bit bigger than OBU, and has some pretty deep pockets as well. I think a big thing also that I am seeing is the GAC doesn't have as much quality depth as other schools in other conferences. Example being SAU was down on lineman so much when I went to school, there were sending out email messages for anyone who wanted to walk on. Same thing with the basketball team as well.

Comment

GVSU has 20k students... There are some very large d2 schools. Majority of them are also good programs.

The top of the GAC is fine. And by the top, I really just mean 2 schools at the moment. HSU has been there. Tech has been there, but it's been a while. From 2-3 down in our conference, we are currently lacking. I'm not sure if the rest are gaining ground or not, but the teams have currently shifted around. ECU used to be nipping on our heels. That ended. SWOSU has shown flashes, that ended. Now it's SAU, but is that over? SEOSU used to be close, and they currently aren't bad, but not close IMO.

All that to say, our depth currently stinks. The GAC isn't getting better in the middle by UAM getting some better etc. Some other teams just got worse. The fact that the conference is quite likely to be decided before the first saturday of season gets here is evidence. HU may get popped by somebody else too. We've seen that. OBU may slip up somewhere. Not saying that won't happen, but its pretty much foregone conclusion the top two teams are meeting on thursday of week 1.

All that rambling to say this. The GAC isn't there as a whole. Go Bisons

Comment

Definitely not as strong top to bottom as MIAA, but the GAC has proven over the last few years that its top teams can hang with the best of that league and just about any other league too.

Comment

Originally posted by ReddieMade View Post
            Definitely not as strong top to bottom as MIAA, but the GAC has proven over the last few years that its top teams can hang with the best of that league and just about any other league too.
            It's really hurting for us not playing any out of conference games to prove how tough we are during the regular season.

Comment

The GAC if far behind other conferences. The facilities aren't even a question. They are bad in this conference. Harding has a great new facility but everyone else's are poor. You look at the Miaa or Lone star, those are more like FCS facilities. The product on the field is also behind. Harding made it to the Semi's a few years back because of the system they run. Yes, they had some good players but talent still wasn't close to the better teams in other conferences. OBU has proven that they aren't great when they play top schools from other conferences. Same with HSU back in 2015 when they got beat by the #3 or 4 MIAA program by nearly 30.

Comment

Originally posted by ONCEATIGER25 View Post
                The GAC if far behind other conferences. The facilities aren't even a question. They are bad in this conference. Harding has a great new facility but everyone else's are poor. You look at the Miaa or Lone star, those are more like FCS facilities. The product on the field is also behind. Harding made it to the Semi's a few years back because of the system they run. Yes, they had some good players but talent still wasn't close to the better teams in other conferences. OBU has proven that they aren't great when they play top schools from other conferences. Same with HSU back in 2015 when they got beat by the #3 or 4 MIAA program by nearly 30.
                Overall, I agree with your point... But like you've been doing since you've come to the board, you're stretching it a little bit. OBU stadium is up to par. HU facilities are above the rest overall, yes.

The play on the field... OBU is good enough to compete with most everyone. They got smoked by the national champ. They had them on the ropes at their own place year before that, however. HSU wasn't beaten by 30 by the 3 or 4 best team in MIAA. They don't get that many teams into the playoffs. Emporia finished Runner up and it was 29-3 (that part means little). HU benefits greatly by their system. There's zero doubt about that. That's the point. That said, HU matches up talent wise on the defensive side of the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Divisiontwo View Post
                  Overall, I agree with your point... But like you've been doing since you've come to the board, you're stretching it a little bit. OBU stadium is up to par. HU facilities are above the rest overall, yes.

The play on the field... OBU is good enough to compete with most everyone. They got smoked by the national champ. They had them on the ropes at their own place year before that, however. HSU wasn't beaten by 30 by the 3 or 4 best team in MIAA. They don't get that many teams into the playoffs. Emporia finished Runner up and it was 29-3 (that part means little). HU benefits greatly by their system. There's zero doubt about that. That's the point. That said, HU matches up talent wise on the defensive side of the ball.
                  I was at the game vs Commerce...the game was never in doubt....the only reason the Lions didn't hang half a hundred on them was the TOP advantage that Harding had...essentially the chose to kill themselves slowly with their clock control offense...

So how does the GAC compare to the LSC?

From what I have seen thus far, which I grant you isn't very much...the level of play in the LSC is much higher, and that is just my opinion...the top 3 teams in the LSC would dismantle any team from the GAC, and in no particular order, I think those top three teams are Tarleton, MSU and the Lions...but I am very curious how the Lions are going to do with the new head coach and green coaching staff he brought in there...lots of turnover on the roster...

Facilities wise...the only facilities I have seen in the GAC are ATU's, which are very nice when compared with Commerce or Tarleton (pre new stadium) or MSU...oh, hang on...was at SEOSU on a visit with my son...those were pretty bad comparatively speaking...and SWOSU too...those facilities were okay, probably a little nicer than what Commerce has...

My opinion (except the HU v TAMUC game part, that is fact :P)...and that and 4 dollars and change will get you a warm beverage at Starbucks...

Comment

Currently looking on the D2 Football Stadiums website, in my opinion, here is my thought on each school's stadium as far as quality goes, not including other facilities

Arkansas Tech- Seats 7,000-overall good feel. Visitor fan section can get tight for in state schools.
                    UAM- Seats 3,500- grass field, stadium is older and looks to be out of date from pictures. Small
                    ECU- 5,000 Pretty good playing surface, stands look to be older, can't find a picture of the scoreboard.
                    Harding- Seats 5,000-Very well done, nice field, nice seating-Hate that track though. Quality built stadium
                    Henderson State-Seats 9,600-Older stadium, nice surface. Has the possiblity of being the best in the conference with the bowl shape. Really needs a nice new scoreboard with Video.
                    NWOK-6,000-Very well done, solid, nice facility overall
                    Oklahoma Baptist-4,000- No explanation needed, we all know its not great
                    OBU-Seats 5,600-Nice new pressbox, field, and home stands. Parking is a problem and no video board? Overall, leading by example. Well done OBU.
                    SE OK-4,100-Nice Field, Decent Stands, still feels small though. Not too bad
                    SAU-Seats 6,000 Yes I am a homer, but understand that this stadium has it's flaws. Biggest thing are the bathrooms, concession stand lines, and visitor stands need expanding.
                    SNU-Seats 2,500- Pretty small stadium, very basic, nice turf field
                    SWOSU-Seats 8,600-Nice field, always forget about this one, lack of team success as of lately comes to mind when I think of SWOSU.

FYI, I am actually impressed with all of SWOSU's facilities. They are nice for what they are.

Overall schools probably should be getting their football stadiums to be able to hold 5,000 to a minimum and long term goal of closer to 7,500. I know I didn't look into the other parts such as locker rooms, athletic training, or weight rooms at all. There's not near as much info available on those. What are your thoughts??

Comment

Originally posted by spidermac View Post
                      I was at the game vs Commerce...the game was never in doubt....the only reason the Lions didn't hang half a hundred on them was the TOP advantage that Harding had...essentially the chose to kill themselves slowly with their clock control offense...

From what I have seen thus far, which I grant you isn't very much...the level of play in the LSC is much higher, and that is just my opinion...the top 3 teams in the LSC would dismantle any team from the GAC, and in no particular order, I think those top three teams are Tarleton, MSU and the Lions...but I am very curious how the Lions are going to do with the new head coach and green coaching staff he brought in there...lots of turnover on the roster...

Facilities wise...the only facilities I have seen in the GAC are ATU's, which are very nice when compared with Commerce or Tarleton (pre new stadium) or MSU...oh, hang on...was at SEOSU on a visit with my son...those were pretty bad comparatively speaking...and SWOSU too...those facilities were okay, probably a little nicer than what Commerce has...

My opinion (except the HU v TAMUC game part, that is fact :P)...and that and 4 dollars and change will get you a warm beverage at Starbucks...
                      Interesting take on HU vs Commerce. Commerce had 23 First downs, HU had 19 first downs. 6 of those for commerce were from penalty. 1 was from a fake punt. HU was playing back up qb after starter got suspended.

I'm not saying HU was the better team. But you acting as though the game is out of hand or never in question is, like you say, factually incorrect. Citing TOP advantage for HU as negative is odd. That's the point. Just think you're off base. The game was closer overall than the game was vs West Florida. But I guess that's only true because commerce had the ball longer than west florida. Is that how it works?

Comment

Interesting take on HU vs Commerce. Commerce had 23 First downs, HU had 19 first downs. 6 of those for commerce were from penalty. 1 was from a fake punt. HU was playing back up qb after starter got suspended.

I'm not saying HU was the better team. But you acting as though the game is out of hand or never in question is, like you say, factually incorrect. Citing TOP advantage for HU as negative is odd. That's the point. Just think you're off base. The game was closer overall than the game was vs West Florida. But I guess that's only true because commerce had the ball longer than west florida. Is that how it works?
                        Nope...not how it works...at least not most of the time...the TAMUC defense kept them behind the chains most of the night...3rd and long situations...and while HU was trying to control the clock and keep TAMUC's offense off the field was a brilliant idea...they needed to score the ball...which they were not able to do at the same pace as TAMUC was able to...essentially, strangling themselves at the same time they were strangling the clock. They had two drives in that game were they ate substantial amount of clock...one ended in an INT, the other ended in a missed FG...like I said, the game plan was genius, they just didn't have the horses to make it work...

Comment

Nope...not how it works...at least not most of the time...the TAMUC defense kept them behind the chains most of the night...3rd and long situations...and while HU was trying to control the clock and keep TAMUC's offense off the field was a brilliant idea...they needed to score the ball...which they were not able to do at the same pace as TAMUC was able to...essentially, strangling themselves at the same time they were strangling the clock. They had two drives in that game were they ate substantial amount of clock...one ended in an INT, the other ended in a missed FG...like I said, the game plan was genius, they just didn't have the horses to make it work...

I mean.. I don't wanna be this guy. You're coming here acting prophetic, but it's just normal stuff. HU got beat by Commerce. Commerce Scored more than HU. HU was down 24-17 in the 4th with backup qb in national semifinals. I'm not sure what else they could've asked for. A chance to win the game late.

It's very similar to when Tiger Woods talks about this every single week. He wants to give himself a chance to win the event on back 9 on Sunday. If you get to that point. you have a great chance. HU came up short. The box score didn't show the game outta hand. The scoreboard didn't show the game outta hand. Your narrative doesn't fit. Good luck to your son at Tech. I bet when he gets on the field against HU, he'll let you know they have some "horses."
                          Last edited by Divisiontwo; 08-19-2019, 01:55 PM.

Comment

It was also a monsoon that day for the 29-3 HSU/ESU game. Obviously both schools deal with the elements and HSU got beat, but that game was overshadowed by that storm. Worst downpour I've ever seen for a football game.

Comment

That Harding/Commerce semifinal was a good game. I'm not sure what you watched, but Harding had a chance with minutes left and needed a stop, but TAMUCC got a 90-yard TD (which should have been called back for a block in the back that wasn't called) which iced the game. And that was Harding playing their backup QB who had basically never seen the field.

Block in the back at 4:34. Play starts at 4:30, if you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzaagg4MfRk
                              Last edited by ReddieMade; 08-19-2019, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X