Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GAC Player of the week awards

Ok, so the GAC released it's players of the week awards today. Obviously there isn't much argument to be made for anyone but T.J. Cole to be the offensive player of the week. (230 yards and 6 touchdowns) But, here's my beef. And yes I realize I am a little biased. But there were 4 Quarterbacks who were nominated on this weeks list as well as a few other WR's/RB's

Hncir (ECU) 18/25 for 239 yards and 3 touchdowns as well as 9 rushes for 17 yards

Jones (SAU) 14/26 for 199 yards and 2 touchdowns as well as 19 rushes for 86 yards and 2 touchdowns

Keylon (Harding) 3/3 for 100 yards and 1 touchdown as well as 11 rushes for 64 yards and 1 touchdown

Porter (SNU) 6/6 for 85 yards and 0 touchdowns as well as 26 rushes for 167 yads and 3 touchdowns

All of these are great stat lines and well deserving of being nominated. My gripe is with the fact that Southeastern QB Daulton Hatley was not even nominated.

Hatley went 17/21 for 332 yards and 5 touchdowns (all in the first half) and added 3 rushes for 9 yards. That's an 81% completion rate!

Again I'm sure I'm looking at this through biased eyes but what's a kid gotta do to get nominated if that kind of stat line isn't enough? I'd really like to know who the people making these nominations are and what their criteria is?
    Last edited by Baldsexy; 10-24-2022, 11:54 PM.

As an insider to this process, I'll share. The nominations come from the school SIDs and they're allowed one player per grouping. Southeastern nominated Marquis Gray for offense instead of Daulton. Once the conference has the nominations, the league office picks one (or two) for each group, independent of the schools.

Comment

Originally posted by LukeMcConnell1 View Post
      As an insider to this process, I'll share. The nominations come from the school SIDs and they're allowed one player per grouping. Southeastern nominated Marquis Gray for offense instead of Daulton. Once the conference has the nominations, the league office picks one (or two) for each group, independent of the schools.
      Ok thank you for the clarification. I can live with that. Marquis is an amazing player and deserved to be nominated. I was unaware that it was only 1 nominee per school.

Comment

You're welcome! With how the season has gone for both of those guys, I definitely don't envy Matt's job deciding between the two each week!

Comment

Originally posted by LukeMcConnell1 View Post
          You're welcome! With how the season has gone for both of those guys, I definitely don't envy Matt's job deciding between the two each week!
          Yeah definately!

Comment

While we are at it ECU had a linebacker that had 15 tackles this week. Harding's guy won it with 7 tackles and a fumble recovery for a TD. 15 tackles is definitely deserving of atleast CO-POTW but seems like Arkansas schools always get the upper hand.

Comment

Originally posted by ONCEATIGER25 View Post
              While we are at it ECU had a linebacker that had 15 tackles this week. Harding's guy won it with 7 tackles and a fumble recovery for a TD. 15 tackles is definitely deserving of atleast CO-POTW but seems like Arkansas schools always get the upper hand.
              I kinda feel that way sometimes as well

Comment

They do the same thing in DI with the Heisman. A kid from Ohio State will win over a kid from somewhere like Wyoming or Rutgers who has equal or even maybe better numbers. They do the same thing with the rankings. Last season Southeastern beat Harding #7 and Ouchita #11 (I think) and both remained in the top 25 while Southeastern never made it into the top 25 all season! How many smaller DI schools have had an undefeated season and never or barely make the top 25? Yet a 2 loss Alabama or Georgia are stay ranked in the top 10!

Comment

Originally posted by Baldsexy View Post
                  They do the same thing in DI with the Heisman. A kid from Ohio State will win over a kid from somewhere like Wyoming or Rutgers who has equal or even maybe better numbers. They do the same thing with the rankings. Last season Southeastern beat Harding #7 and Ouchita #11 (I think) and both remained in the top 25 while Southeastern never made it into the top 25 all season! How many smaller DI schools have had an undefeated season and never or barely make the top 25? Yet a 2 loss Alabama or Georgia are stay ranked in the top 10!
                  Well SEOK finished the regular season 8-3 and Harding was 10-1 and Ouachita was 9-2, so that's not surprising they were ranked ahead of SE. Had SE not dropped that silly one to ECU to end the year it may have been different.

As far as Player of the week, let's look at the numbers.
                  Offense - 2 AR only, 1 OK only, 5 weeks co-players (one from AR and OK)
                  Defense - 5 AR, 3 OK
                  ST - 4 AR and 4 OK

So all pretty even I'd say.

Comment

Originally posted by Baldsexy View Post
                    Insert the part where Southeastern lost to HSU, OKBU, and ECU

Comment

Originally posted by OBUGrad View Post

Well SEOK finished the regular season 8-3 and Harding was 10-1 and Ouachita was 9-2, so that's not surprising they were ranked ahead of SE. Had SE not dropped that silly one to ECU to end the year it may have been different.

As far as Player of the week, let's look at the numbers.
                      Offense - 2 AR only, 1 OK only, 5 weeks co-players (one from AR and OK)
                      Defense - 5 AR, 3 OK
                      ST - 4 AR and 4 OK

So all pretty even I'd say.
                      True, but I'm talking about the weeks rankings immediately after both of those wins. They were 4-0 including a win against a ranked Harding after 4 games and still couldn't crack the top 25? Then 8-2 after beating a ranked Ouchita and still not even ranked. While Harding and Ouchita both remained in the top 25 after these loses. True the loss to ECU shot them in the foot. My point is after beating 2 top 25 teams they were still never ever ranked in the top 25. I don't have any excpectations of them being ranked high but like they weren't good enough to even be #25? My point is there are a lot of teams that get ranked and stay ranked even when they lose because of history and name recognition. And the historical lack of success definately kills the Oklahoma schools and players in the rankings and any awards. Then after a season in which they beat 2 ranked historical powerhouses, and won their bowl game. They come back in 2022 returning almost their entire team from last season all with another year of experience under their belt and still not ranked in the top 25 in the preason polls? Really??? Now after 3 losses they shouldn't be. But how in the world were they not in the preason top 25? I promise you any time their is a decision on a ranking or on 2 players with similar stats up for an award if the player or team is Harding or Ouchita guess who is gonna win out? Ask yourself this hypothetical. If Harding, Ouchita, and ECU could all finish with a 9-2 record and only 2 make the playoffs. Who gets in? I bet I can guess! Anybody heard Marquis Gray mentioned in the conversation as one of the best WR's in the nation. Harlon Hill list? Nope and Nope. Are other WR's from more well known or historically good programs mentioned? Yes and Yes! Why? Oh yeah because he plays for one of those Oklahome schools in a crappy conference that only has 2 good teams. I'm sorry you can deny this all you want but it's the way the powers that be think.

Comment

Marquis Gray is currently #2 in the nation in recieving yards and #! in touchdown receptions with 3 games remaining. If he ends up with say 1,300-1,500 yards and 16-20 touchdowns. Will he be considered the best wr in the nation? Nope. Will he get nominated for the Harlon Hill? Doubtfull. All Ameican? Not likely. Best he can hope for is First Team All GAC. Why? Because he plays for one of those Oklahoma schools in a "crappy" conference that only has 2 good teams! That's the attitude from the people that vote on those things.

Comment

Also I do understand that up until recently most of the Oklahoma schools didn’t have the greatest track record for success. But when it comes to awards I don’t care if a kid is a one hit wonder. If he has the numbers that’s all he should be judged on period! Not where he plays or who he played against. Did he go out and produce on the field. The conference he plays in and the schedule he faces are not in his control. And that includes players on losing teams. Heck that’s probably even more impressive when a guy on a bad team is still balling out and putting up big numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by NattyStateFan View Post

Insert the part where Southeastern lost to HSU, OKBU, and ECU
                            I did if you’ll read. But after being 4-0 and beating a ranked Harding they still didn’t crack the top 25 while Harding only dropped a few spots but remained in the top 25. Then after beating a ranked Ouchita at their house they were 8-2 with wins over 2 top 25 teams and still didn’t crack the top 25 while Ouchita remained ranked. I’m talking in season rankings which come out weekly they never made the top 25. Sorry but that’s crap!

Comment

Also after returning almost everybody and beating Harding last season how were they not ranked in the top 25 preseason poll? Harding lost some studs at crucial positions and still got ranked.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X