Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayne State Warriors 2018

So what's the word on the Warriors for 2018? Have any of the Warrior Nation faithful been hearing or seeing anything that gives us any indication of our chances to return to the Playoff picture this year?

Re: Wayne State Warriors 2018

nothing- no spring game. I am guessing they will have an excellent offensive line and good running backs. I do not know who the starting qb will be but whoever it is will have very good receivers to throw to. I think the team will go as far as our MLBs and QBs. will take us. This should be an upgrade as to last year but have no idea if we have any playoff potential

Comment

Wayne State will once again be a wild card in the GLIAC I believe this year. Barring unforeseen circumstances, I am confident WSU will improve upon their 5-6 record last year. I believe it will fall somewhere in the 7-4, 8-3, 9-2 range. I think Wayne finally beats one of the traditional conference powers this year, something tells me it will be Ashland (earlier game in the season). I think Wayne will have to play their absolute bests to beat Ferris or GV this year. A HUGE game for Wayne's season outlook will come week 2 vs. Indy. A win there and it sets them up for a big year. However don't count out the likes of MI Tech or Northwood this year either; Northwood might have had one of the most nondescript 7-4 seasons I've seen in some time last year.

Anyways, QB play will certainly go a long way for their success. I'd be shocked if Zezula doesn't start this year but honestly looks like that might be the case. I don't think I've ever seen a 3 year starter as a freshman, NOT start his senior year. Honestly must be something that went on behind the scenes and not just a performance issue. RB's will once again be a strength with Stinson and the return of Deiontae Nicholas being the highlight of the offense. OL will be much improved as well with the return of Tommy Richardson. WR will have good depth and be strong as well. Basically offense will be a top 4 unit in the conference IMO.

Defense will make or break this team. They have to take a step forward this year or it will be another average or just above average year for Wayne. Defense will have Anthony Pittman as the leader at the LB position. DL is a question mark as well as defensive back, particularly the safety position. Special teams should be another strength as their kickers return and Nicholas at returner will be nice. Punt return should be improved as well I believe. Opening the season vs. Walsh should not be a problem but we'll know more after playing UIndy.
      Last edited by NewEraWarrior; 07-23-2018, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Good analysis New Era. Just learned yesterday that Pittman has been switched to MLB. He is a beast. Dowding, Smith, Eggleston and Tai should make for a good linebacking corp. Looks like the Defensive end position is two deep with Lewis ready to do some damage after a year off. DE and CB although adequately manned may have to rely on some true freshman if injuries mount up. This is not necessarily good, but by looking at the recruits, there are some good ones coming in. The defense will be the unknown factor as you have said, and I believe how they do will be how far we go.

Comment

And I guess we'll have to wait till the season starts to see if Winters will throw in a few new wrinkles to the play-calling... I've always been a believer that "good is the enemy of great"...that is when you do pretty good you don't fix it because it ain't broke; and Wayne State had been pretty good for quite a few years, until last year-they were terrible. Well hopefully that losing season will prompt some other changes to the offensive and defensive schemes. A senior QB with a good group of players around him, coupled with a little more creative play-calling may just be the thing to surprise some folks and get us to a "great" year again.... I really miss being relevant on the national scene...:disapointed:

Comment

great detailed breakdown NEW. Dude knows his stuff. Nice work.
            I'm seeing 6-5. Losses to: Indy, Ashland, MTU, FSU, and GVSU.

The MTU loss is based on a hunch ( long time on the road , etc.)

7-4 would be an improvement but doesn't get you to the PO promise land. 8-4 is a possible if they can steel a game down in Indy and beat MTU.

Comment

Depth chart just released shows Kupp as QB for Walsh game. Interesting as there seems to be plenty of good receivers and a new tight end who was a high school qb. OL looks solid with the return of Tommy Richardson. Stinson and Nicholas should be the best one-two rb combination in the league with this line in front of them.

The defense in my mind is the question. Pittman moving to middle linebacker seems to be a natural move for a bigger All League player. Six other fast and active, almost interchangeable linebackers should make for improved LB and special teams play. How much pressure the DL can place on opposition qb's will be the key. Coaches are praising the play of Jalen Lewis who was out last year. Defensive secondary improvement from last year will be needed and some new faces are listed, including a true freshman Teiler Houston. Now how accurate these reported two deep listings are, only God knows. Personally I am looking forward to this year and expect this years team to far exceed last years performance

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
              Working...
              X