Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayne State Spring game

Did not see the Wayne State spring game. Anybody have any info as to how things look?

Re: Wayne State Spring game

Disappointed that there wasn't any kind of recap on the website.

Comment

Yes. and normally there are pictures.

Comment

I saw bits and pieces of it, nothing really new to report. The RB's looked good, the OL left a lot to be desired especially in pass pro, and the QB play was mediocre. Defense was OK but I think it is more a product of the offense lagging in concepts at this point in the off-season. Also have to report, the defense literally had 2-3 personal foul penalties in the SPRING GAME, majority of them late hits way out of bounds! Not sure how that happens in the spring game, let alone against your own teammates.
        Last edited by NewEraWarrior; 04-16-2019, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Thanks New Era. Sorry to hear about no notable QB play. Out of state and couldn't go. Sounds like I did not miss anything. Weird with hitting out of bounds during the spring game. Figured we would have probably six good runners this year. Maybe we will need more with that style of play when the preseason starts up.

Comment

If we can keep a solid rotation of RBs with a guy or two that stand out, that will hopefully make up for mediocre/average QB play. I felt DJ was exposed as a poor passer in 2017 when the run game dropped off from 2016. The issue is, I'm not sure that there is a QB (that we've seen) that will be above average this year. Penalties feel like a carryover from last year. Not an excuse, but those were likely due to frustration. No reason for that now, though. I hope this take changes after September 5, but I'm not convinced this team will get above .500 this year.

Comment

New linebacker coach. This will be interesting. OLB should be set with veterans. MLB will be a battle. The true freshman coming in from Wisconsin sounds like a terror but not MLB size. But as it has shown for the last 50 years, until we get a true leader QB we will probably be as mtsax suggests mediocre at best. Depth has always been an issue at Wayne State(excluding the 2011 team) and having moved from the area know nothing about this years depth. In the old days you could attend the spring games and get an idea. After reading others on this board, sounds like this is a league, if not bigger trend.

Being a die hard Tarter/Warrior fan I will continue with renewed annual optimism. With this promising basketball venue being built at WSU for us and the Pistons organization, Im sure there is an envisioned upgrade to the basketball program at WSU. That would be great but I hope it doesn't come at the expense of the football program.

Comment

I to wasn't present for the spring game nor do I believe I'll be taking in any WSU games outside of watching on Comcast TV or listening to the games on the radio. As a past staunch Warrior supporter / player parent,

I'm disappointed at the direction of the football program following their now epic run / record in the post Joique Bell era (2010-2011).

Looking at the schedule, the best I can guess is 4-7. As much I respect Coach Winters, his time may have come and gone I'm afraid. I'm not seeing the caliber of the recruits coming in that were present back in 2007-2009.

GVSU is bringing in "All-State" caliber players year in / year out but WSU was able to snatch a few up in the past.

Comment

Good to hear from you Coach- Im entering this season with some of the skepticism that you are this year but still looking for a QB that other teams are actually afraid of. In my opinion, that hasn't happened since 1975 except for a short period when a freshman named Smith looked like the passer and runner that was dangerous on every play. He was here one year and disappeared from football. Your prediction could be close but I see more of a 500 season unless the passing game starts clicking. I think this is possible when you have a receiver like Darece Roberson who the pros are looking at and a decent offensive line. We always throw good running backs at teams but the GlIac seems to adjust when we appear one dimensional. As for recruiting, I just do not know what goes on. We seem to be getting many of our players from Ohio and some good ones from Wisconsin. The difference cant be completely stacked as we play many close and good games against supposedly dominant teams. Almost took out Ferris in their National Championship game year. This year could be crucial in more ways than one for Coach Paul Winters.

Comment

I agree that this team does not look like a contender for a GLIAC title. In fact if you look at Winters' career record against the 8 other teams that are currently in the GLIAC he's only won 26 games over 15 years against them. That's less than 2 wins per season on average.

Even if you are optimistic and assume an above average 3 GLIAC wins, they'd have to win all 3 non con games to get over .500. This could be Winters' last season as HC.

Comment

Comment

mtsax- Wow. You have me thinking and I do not like it. My heart is still ahead of my brain. Think I am going to wait to comment further until I hear Winters talk at the Taste of Wayne in week or so. Have already heard that some good transfers have arrived but I do not know if they are at the positions that could change our season. Like your mentioned Jayru. Wayne State has not been successful at recruiting troubled athletes and that may be Winters style. The Ferris coach has made a career doing such. Big defensive lineman has appeared and a db who could step in. I will be happy with a qb who can run and throw as you have already suggested.

Comment

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X